Jeff Thomas explains on why he picked UM

I am more excited about Jeff Thomas than I've been about any other player in a very long time
Those of you who follow recruiting or talk to me off the board know how much I agree with this. Once in every 5 years type player because of his ability to accelerate through cuts. Safety's nightmare.

He's my fav recruit. His acceleration thru cuts is Noel Devine or Hester like.

Yep. He's like a skier going down a slope. Hester was never the fastest guy in the league but he got faster as he changed directions. Reggie Bush used to have cool-looking moves, but he would have to come to a stop to make them.

One advantage Thomas has over Hester is that he looks more natural as a receiver. IMO, Hester should have been a running back.

City:

They tried.

He was able to digest about 3 plays, and had a lot of trouble .... god bless him .... with protection packages, check with me's, etc. The mental game at WR and RB just never clicked. He was a really nice kid, worked hard, and was the best kick returner in the history of football. But he had limitations, which explains why with his physical gifts, he didn't have more of an impact on offense.

That being said, no one made more of an impact in the return game than Hester. Ever. At any level.

Advertisement
I am more excited about Jeff Thomas than I've been about any other player in a very long time
Those of you who follow recruiting or talk to me off the board know how much I agree with this. Once in every 5 years type player because of his ability to accelerate through cuts. Safety's nightmare.

Yep. He's like a skier going down a slope. Hester was never the fastest guy in the league but he got faster as he changed directions. Reggie Bush used to have cool-looking moves, but he would have to come to a stop to make them.

One advantage Thomas has over Hester is that he looks more natural as a receiver. IMO, Hester should have been a running back.

City:

They tried.

He was able to digest about 3 plays, and had a lot of trouble .... god bless him .... with protection packages, check with me's, etc. The mental game at WR and RB just never clicked. He was a really nice kid, worked hard, and was the best kick returner in the history of football. But he had limitations, which explains why with his physical gifts, he didn't have more of an impact on offense.

That being said, no one made more of an impact in the return game than Hester. Ever. At any level.

This.

I can't remember who we were playing game - but on one game Hester was lined up at RB, took a pitch, stopped, and threw a pass to Miami player across the field. It was about a 50 yard gain, there were just about 6 flags thrown flags for illegal man downfield.

Hester just wasn't a position player. But he was the best return man ever.

Thomas might not even get close to what Hester was, and still end up a great returner. But I'd expect Thomas to be a better position player.

City:

They tried.

You're right, but running back would have been the easiest of all the positions to learn.

Even with his limitations, we should've gotten more out of him on offense. He made more offensive plays in the NFL than he did in college.

This guys cuts are the best I've ever seen besides Hester. And he has elite speed. I honestly think this guy could be like Hester was here except a better receiver

Hester, really? Devin Freaking Hester? The best returner, perhaps, ever?

I don't mean to take a shot at you, but people gotta slow their roll. This is within a week of one thread comparing a recruit to Sean Taylor, and another comparing himself to Willis. Each perhaps the best physical combination, at his position, in the history of the U????

Pump them brakes.

Why? In 2000 people would have said, "Hester looks good, but the best ever to play here? Pump the brakes." Same goes for Taylor and McGahee. Personally, I think we're due for a real program changer, and one that adds their name to the list of greats. ***** the brakes, full speed ahead.

Advertisement

This guys cuts are the best I've ever seen besides Hester. And he has elite speed. I honestly think this guy could be like Hester was here except a better receiver

Hester, really? Devin Freaking Hester? The best returner, perhaps, ever?

I don't mean to take a shot at you, but people gotta slow their roll. This is within a week of one thread comparing a recruit to Sean Taylor, and another comparing himself to Willis. Each perhaps the best physical combination, at his position, in the history of the U????

Pump them brakes.

Why? In 2000 people would have said, "Hester looks good, but the best ever to play here? Pump the brakes." Same goes for Taylor and McGahee. Personally, I think we're due for a real program changer, and one that adds their name to the list of greats. ***** the brakes, full speed ahead.

I don't recall anyone annoiting any of those guys as already great when they came in (though Hester was a myth), and I don't recall anybody at Miami surpassing Hester (K/PR), Taylor (S), or McGahee (RB) at their respective positions since.

No, Duke supporters, he wasn't better than McGahee, but that is up for debate if you choose.

Many were waiting on Hester for 2 years before he played his first game vs UF and let us know from Jump street that he was something special.

I do some work in St Louis and word out there is that Thomas has missed 60 days of school. They do not know how he will eligible. Don't take as gospel but there was a reason why many had laid off this kid. I am really not going to get excited until I see him clear the NCAA clearinghouse

City:

They tried.

nah he only struggled bc the staff had no idea what they were doing with him... he started out as a CB for 2/3 of his cfb career, was a solid one but offense is where they shouldve utilized him from the beginning.

I dont know if he wouldve been just a great WR if he switched early but i do know he wouldve been unstoppable if they used him in creative ways offensively to go along with the other offensive weapons we had. He had no business being taught pass protection packages anyway??? Our defenses were elite during the Coker years but offenses were inconsistent and muddled at best after 03.

This chap is a great CB too. He will be a nightmare in the open field.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back