Jayden Wayne to the portal

8 days in and while the options might not be plentiful, I think there’s enough available talent for this team to acquire and move closer to cementing a 9-win season, preferably 10 if we don’t play horrendously.

RB - Martinez is an absolute slam dunk of an upgrade
WR - Sam Brown is an upgrade and gives you nice YAC
C - Zandamela but questions around his work ethic and overall talent, Mirabal has his work cut out for him with Carpenter
Sam Brown not getting talked about enough nationally. This kid is a freaking STUD.

They praised Texas for signing teammate Matt Golden, without realizing this past year Sam Brown absolutely jumped to a different level.

Golden & Brown have same grade in portal, but that **** ain’t equal. Brown is a top 5 WR to enter portal regardless of winter or spring.

** He’s better than Colbie Young**

Advertisement
Makes a lot of money and doesn’t flash anything elite. Too average to make that much NIL.

I tried to hint at this one last week.

Poor evaluation by Mario and Zo. There’s a lot in that category when you had an NFL Personnel guy on staff and took pride in that part of it.
You feel a lot of programs will do this going forward?

You feel a lot of programs will do this going forward?
I think this happened faster with Wayne than it will happen at most programs.

I don’t see many schools wanting to part ways with a top 100 player after 1 year. Probably after 2-3

But we also did it with Acheampong. You can tell they seem to know how it’s going to go pretty quickly. I’m more worried about our evaluations.

Advertisement
He's developing the entire roster. To act like anything less than that is simply not being genuine. But everyone can look at things however they wish obviously. All Americans, freshman all Americans, numerous all acc players be damned. If the objective apparently is they need to be playing anywhere near peak level as freshmans or even sophomores than maybe the problem is y'all with these expectations. Okay maybe not maybe.

Dee, respectfully, to be great an organization needs to be self critical. I am not contending Mario hasn’t upgraded the roster and developed kids. I’m contending it’s not good enough at the moment to be championship. And it gets harder if you still have a hole in your boat even as you’re bailing out water.

Bain is the only DE remaining that Mario recruited across three classes. Our two best DTs by far on roster are gone and we haven’t YET replaced them. Those are problems deserving concern even if the overall team has improved.

Dee, respectfully, to be great an organization needs to be self critical. I am not contending Mario hasn’t upgraded the roster and developed kids. I’m contending it’s not good enough at the moment to be championship. And it gets harder if you still have a hole in your boat even as you’re bailing out water.

Bain is the only DE remaining that Mario recruited across three classes. Our two best DTs by far on roster are gone and we haven’t YET replaced them. Those are problems deserving concern even if the overall team has improved.
If you're setting the bar right now at development to championship levels than yes absolutely agree. However we have to look at reality. When he got here we had next to nothing in house that was producing at peak levels. With last year's dl & the last two years lb hauls we've completely revamped both rooms. Now comes down to development. I feel like at lb were light years ahead and several kids have shown serious jumps. Dl being honest as most realize it is a position that in any approach requires kids getting the time to grow into strong young men. Oline and dline for obvious reasons require physical maturity far more than any other. Our immediate problem has been we've been trying to build teams from behind the gun that we felt would compete now. As we've seen up to this point we haven't been able to do that. My concerns for this year's teams are heightened even more now as I've said all along we need to have the dt position step up and we need to figure out our safety room. Without those two I have my concerns with this year's defense. I feel we are loaded at end and at backer we'll see a huge jump this season. Corner were gonna have to see how the next month or so plays out but as of now I'm not on alert. Could quickly step into melt down mode though. Offense my only concern on the roster is at center. Carpenter I'm not sure on. Hoping he's one of those that when the lights turn on it clicks. We'll see. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if either rivers or even the freshman takes over. Personally I think as long as we have no more significant losses and we add a few meaningful pieces we will be in the playoffs this season. Our offense is built to strangle opposing teams. Also maybe I'm missing the math here. But when you're saying Bain is the only de left that we recruited across THREE classes that's not accurate either. Our 22 class was essentially put together and recruited in 2 weeks. Understandable or not (since we wanted results ASAP because we needed them to stand out and contribute immediately)that class was **** near totally a wash. Last year's class we are seeing as a majority what we need from them. This year's class being the 24 class is loaded but for the most part we don't know what we have. But it's got several dudes in it that are de and we expect plenty from long term.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this happened faster with Wayne than it will happen at most programs.

I don’t see many schools wanting to part ways with a top 100 player after 1 year. Probably after 2-3

But we also did it with Acheampong. You can tell they seem to know how it’s going to go pretty quickly. I’m more worried about our evaluations.
It's already happening.
So my thing is, are we hitting the panic button too prematurely or if its justified, I think it's a little bit of both.

From what I understand, they can be active in the portal while even over the limit. They just have to get to 85 by a certain date (which I believe is by the time fall practice starts in August).
Correct, but this is the time to do it.

So my thing is, are we hitting the panic button too prematurely or if its justified, I think it's a little bit of both.
think traditional thinking might have to be tossed out.. NIL has forced a bit of gambling on players real early, to make room for other options that need that same NIL money. With Wayne, they gambled that although young, his play didn't match his out-put & future projections (even as a FR). Wild West of New Frontiers!

Advertisement
If you're setting the bar right now at development to championship levels than yes absolutely agree. However we have to look at reality. When he got here we had next to nothing in house that was producing at peak levels. With last year's dl & the last two years lb hauls we've completely revamped both rooms. Now comes down to development. I feel like at lb were light years ahead and several kids have shown serious jumps. Dl being honest as most realize it is a position that in any approach requires kids getting the time to grow into strong young men. Oline and dline for obvious reasons require physical maturity far more than any other. Our immediate problem has been we've been trying to build teams from behind the gun that we felt would compete now. As we've seen up to this point we haven't been able to do that. My concerns for this year's teams are heightened even more now as I've said all along we need to have the dt position step up and we need to figure out our safety room. Without those two I have my concerns with this year's defense. I feel we are loaded at end and at backer we'll see a huge jump this season. Corner were gonna have to see how the next month or so plays out but as of now I'm not on alert. Could quickly step into melt down mode though. Offense my only concern on the roster is at center. Carpenter I'm not sure on. Hoping he's one of those that when the lights turn on it clicks. We'll see. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if either rivers or even the freshman takes over. Personally I think as long as we have no more significant losses and we add a few meaningful pieces we will be in the playoffs this season. Our offense is built to strangle opposing teams. Also maybe I'm missing the math here. But when you're saying Bain is the only de left that we recruited across THREE classes that's not accurate either. Our 22 class was essentially put together and recruited in 2 weeks. Understandable or not (since we wanted results ASAP because we needed them to stand out and contribute immediately)that class was **** near totally a wash. Last year's class we are seeing as a majority what we need from them. This year's class being the 24 class is loaded but for the most part we don't know what we have. But it's got several dudes in it that are de and we expect plenty from long term.

honest answer. somewhere reasonably in between CHAMPIONSHIP and FOLD THE PROGRAM.

So an undersized stand LB that his only skill is running the passer made a DE with ton of snaps transfer? Please
I mean yea. All I’ve heard is Bryant is playing well since being moved back to edge. Rushing the passer is a skill not just size and it seemed he may be more natural at it then Wayne. I didn’t want Wayne to leave but word on the street is guys were told they won’t get snaps so u connect the dots lol

Advertisement
8 days in and while the options might not be plentiful, I think there’s enough available talent for this team to acquire and move closer to cementing a 9-win season, preferably 10 if we don’t play horrendously.

RB - Martinez is an absolute slam dunk of an upgrade
WR - Sam Brown is an upgrade and gives you nice YAC
C - Zandamela but questions around his work ethic and overall talent, Mirabal has his work cut out for him with Carpenter

DE - I’d bring in the Jacksonville St guy in a heartbeat, but you’d have to sell him on a rotational role (albeit he’d have a big one), and you already brought in Alston for that. Mesidor can slide inside on obvious passing downs and you can get really athletic/explosive fronts with Bain, Mesidor and Hardie/Alston.

LB - Alderman I guess for the Cloyd role

DT - biggest question mark. Williams is a stud but he’s OU bound. Auburn and Texas are snatching up bodies because they’re bodies. After watching some more tape, I think Barrow would be an upgrade…but LSU is the presumed favorite. Got to hope our tampering skills are on point here and someone from the SEC jumps in.

CB - Dyoni Hill and Anthony Johnson should be no brainers
S - Maybe a depth addition, but the CB grabs would allow you to move Powell back to safety and provide a more experienced starter

Still plenty of time for guys to hop in, but the pressure should be ratcheted up. We know who we have to go after and what positions need the most money allocated. Should have gone harder in the winter portal window, but can’t dwell on the past.
Good thing with zandemella is the OL room and culture is a good one so he would either conform and work or get bounced

Advertisement
Back