Jarrid Williams, OT, Houston - in the portal (Radio Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking a stake au poivre is a sin. Worse than looting. Cracked peppercorns don't belong on good meet.
True, but dipping in an au poivre sauce is acceptable for overcooked Tenderloin or not great meat! Meat is like wine - if it isn't great don't bother!

Advertisement
FINAL depth chart prediction for 9/5/20 vs Temple

LT Nelson, Herbert, Walker

LG Campbell, Rivers, Donaldson

C Gaynor, Traore, Griffith

RG Clark, Reed, Washington

RT Scaife, Hillery, Elgammal

This guy wasn’t even honorable mention all aac?

None of our tackles would have been honorable mentions in the AAC either. We need all the help we can get.

But after seeing film on his games vs USF and Tulane, I’m convinced he’s good enough to plug and play, especially in pass protection. Beyond his ability he brings experience and age which is something our team lacks.

He’s not gonna be an elite tackle by any means, but It’s not like he’s Tommy Kennedy. His connection with D’Eriq King is obviously good for the offense as well

so we not getting Williams??

Advertisement
I think this is the correct analysis. Williams may have been waiting on a UM Admissions decision by Friday, which didn't happen. Saturday/Sunday would have been ideal days to choose Baylor if he is not trying to blueshirt at Baylor and has a regular LOI offer.

Remember, to have immediate eligibility as a grad transfer, you have to pursue a grad degree that is not available at your prior school. So this is not just "getting into the easiest grad program at UM", he is probably applying to a specific program which may or may not have room currently, or the academic requirements might be higher than in other programs. That's just a working hypothesis, but I would bet money that blueshirting/grad-admissions are the "moving parts" that Ivins mentioned.
Could you imagine them not finding room in a class for a football player in the SEC?!

I think this is the correct analysis. Williams may have been waiting on a UM Admissions decision by Friday, which didn't happen. Saturday/Sunday would have been ideal days to choose Baylor if he is not trying to blueshirt at Baylor and has a regular LOI offer.

Remember, to have immediate eligibility as a grad transfer, you have to pursue a grad degree that is not available at your prior school. So this is not just "getting into the easiest grad program at UM", he is probably applying to a specific program which may or may not have room currently, or the academic requirements might be higher than in other programs. That's just a working hypothesis, but I would bet money that blueshirting/grad-admissions are the "moving parts" that Ivins mentioned.

Add all that on top of protest, and delays due to covid. I wonder if the whole UM admissions staff has been working at the school, or is this just a big zoom meeting pain in the butt.

Advertisement
Could you imagine them not finding room in a class for a football player in the SEC?!
Finding room in a class or getting him admitted will not be an issue. The lag is most likely making sure that will meet the blueshirt standard and that he doesn't enroll and wind up finding out later that he can't get a scholarship for whatever reason.

Monday morning feeling like
C36CEF88-D5F0-4544-B96F-0BA89168A9BE.gif

Advertisement

Walker will be ahead of Herbert, maybe even Nelson later in the season, Traore will be at G and might even start, Clark will be backup C but I'm ok with him at G, I like Campbell at G, and let's shoot Hillery to the moon.

so we not getting Williams??

No way of knowing but expecting the worst because this might get too complicated, and the more time that passes the more Baylor can recruit him. It's also a hunch that Justice will eventually revert to last year's lineup.

LT Nelson - started all 13 games at LT
LG Campbell - started the bowl game at LG
C Gaynor - started all 13 games at C
RG Clark - started 12 games at RG
RT Scaife - started 12 games at RT

Advertisement
Walker will be ahead of Herbert, maybe even Nelson later in the season, Traore will be at G and might even start, Clark will be backup C but I'm ok with him at G, I like Campbell at G, and let's shoot Hillery to the moon.

It would be fantastisch if Walker challenges at LT but I'm not sold he'll get a waiver. Do we know if he's got a sick parent who needs him around?

Add all that on top of protest, and delays due to covid. I wonder if the whole UM admissions staff has been working at the school, or is this just a big zoom meeting pain in the butt.

Just want to make a point (and politely disagree with Franchise on something), this is not "UM Admissions" in the traditional sense. Normally, for undergrads, they go through the "Admissions Office" as we tend to know it.

But "grad school" has separate admissions processes. The Med School has its own admissions office. Same with the law school. The MBA program handles its own admissions. And at the other extreme, there are some grad programs that are so small, that they don't have a full-time admissions office, it's just professors and administrators who handle the decision-making.

I have no inside information as to what grad program Williams may be applying. Therefore, it is hard to say what the processes, academic standards, and decision-making timeframe may be.

Ordinarily, Franchise is correct on this, if the football program has a signed LOI from a grad-transfer, we "make room" in a graduate program somewhere. But if you are also trying to comply with blueshirt rules by "not recruiting" a kid, and he has to apply, get in, and pay (initially) on his own, it can definitely be a bit more challenging to be admitted.

Miami has never enrolled a blueshirt, let alone a grad blueshirt. We don't have a lot of experience, and Covid-19 isn't really helping in relation to the calendar/decision-timeline either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back