Jarren Williams

Advertisement
I think it's the number 1 determining factor in NFL QB success, too. I think you can get away with slower processing in college and rely more on athleticism, yet it increasingly matters more each year. Accuracy is my #2.
I directionally agree with what I think you’re both saying, but imo it isn’t processing ‘speed’ that determines it. It’s a different, and more basic cognitive failure. It’s the biological panic response. In chaos and under duress in the pocket, people tend to go into panic mode. They shrink the range of things they can take in or process, and over-focus on one or two variables. They lose sight of the full picture. It’s quite predictable. They might process a lot of info, but it isn’t the right info for their needs. This is also why IQ helps for QBs, but high IQ people panic, and so it’s not the answer to the panic flaw. Great QBs are guys who are calm and collected under pressure.

Either you’re a fast processor under duress, or you’re not. Scheme can help to hide slower guys by cutting down on his options and playing that Air Raid style.

That’s why there are so many busts and missed calls at college QB. Guys fall in love with the T-shirt and shorts circuit and shuttles and arm strength and all that. None of that **** will do you a bit of good if you can’t process quickly with 300 pounders bearing down on you and 60k people screaming and everything on the line for a lot of people.

I’ve been saying forever that processing speed is the number one determining factor in college QB success. Glad to see guys like Feldman piggybacking on the drum I’ve been beating for 30 years.
I have been harping on evaluations since Coker era. This is an example of what I mean. Which traits matter? Do we know what to look for (or avoid), and how to find / identify it? Butch did. Our recent staffs have not. The QB topic is a clear example of this point but there are traits at other positions that matter and we too often seem to default for guys who play well in 7-7 there, too.

Bruh. You know I fvck with you, but you really trying to say weed is hard to stop? Lmao.

Just because it’s not physically addicting doesn’t mean it isn’t psychologically. At one point, I couldn’t sleep without it or so I thought until i decided to stop because I wasn’t going to allow myself to get addicted to it. It was an easy transition after the first night. I have had friends that can’t sleep without it or believe they work better “high.” I would argue they’re addicts but it’s more mental than anything.

However, if you’re playing football at the University of Miami and can’t stop yourself from smoking then you’re weak minded as **** and might as well give up on life.

Quitting cigarettes is far more challenging, and it’s not even close.

Advertisement
Just because it’s not physically addicting doesn’t mean it isn’t psychologically. At one point, I couldn’t sleep without it or so I thought until i decided to stop because I wasn’t going to allow myself to get addicted to it. It was an easy transition after the first night. I have had friends that can’t sleep without it or believe they work better “high.” I would argue they’re addicts but it’s more mental than anything.

However, if you’re playing football at the University of Miami and can’t stop yourself from smoking then you’re weak minded as **** and might as well give up on life.

This is exactly my point. It is not a difficult thing to overcome. Sure it is psychologicaly addicting. So is pretty much everything. That is why we have people "Addicted" to sugar, video games, jacking off, etc.

This is exactly my point. It is not a difficult thing to overcome. Sure it is psychologicaly addicting. So is pretty much everything. That is why we have people "Addicted" to sugar, video games, jacking off, etc.

The lengths people go to justify and rationalize their weed smoking is funny.

"It's not addicting bro"

"It's better for you than alcohol bro"

"It's only a matter of time until it's legal everywhere bro"

Just stop. Nobody's buying it. You'll never normalize it. You want to be a pothead, just be one and own it. Don't try to act like it's normal.

EVERYBODY knows somebody who wants to stop smoking weed but who never does. It might not be as physically addictive as heroin or something like that, but we all know people who would like to stop smoking it but never do, and that is a textbook addict

We took a team from KW and beat them 63-0.We then played Oakland Park and beat them once 48-0 and lost at their place 38-28.Only game we lost for like 3 years.
Only reason I remember them is cause they were supposed to be the best around and we skunked them.

Played against a lot of them later in HS with a lot different results...lol..we played them in ‘65 I think.
Obviously today I / we still remember like you it was the greatest times of my life to play football as a young kid with your mind free of worldly trash we live with as we got older even through high school , I just love accessing these memories.

SHARING : After my devastating dislocation ankle injury with tendon and nerve damage right in front of BIG THREE college scouts who came to watch me as I got wheeled off with my ankle dangling with skin only holding ankle together as my coach held my leg and ankle screaming in agony beyond thought , my dreams were shattered GONE. After that well after that........enough.

YES, football was everything my breath my heart every thought I thank God for allowing me to have my football at night in dreams as I sleep AMEN

I directionally agree with what I think you’re both saying, but imo it isn’t processing ‘speed’ that determines it. It’s a different, and more basic cognitive failure. It’s the biological panic response. In chaos and under duress in the pocket, people tend to go into panic mode. They shrink the range of things they can take in or process, and over-focus on one or two variables. They lose sight of the full picture. It’s quite predictable. They might process a lot of info, but it isn’t the right info for their needs. This is also why IQ helps for QBs, but high IQ people panic, and so it’s not the answer to the panic flaw. Great QBs are guys who are calm and collected under pressure.

I agree with you about a lot of this. Jarren seemed to regress at times and I often thought it was because he became afraid of getting hurt. If you look back to the first couple of games, he was much more willing to stand in and make throws. After the shoulder injury in the CMU game, he definitely seemed different. I'm not saying that's the only reason but I think you're right about the basic panic response. I think Kosi showed it too. Honestly, I can't say I blame them. They KNEW there was a good likelihood they were going to take a hit. I do believe it would have been a different story all the way around with a better OL. And a different OC who was willing to make adustments, etc. It was an all around bad situation for the QB room last season.

The personal habits are a separate issue but I do think they became worse because of what was going on within the team. I hope he lands in a situation that allows him to really use his talent and get himself back on track.

Advertisement

Quitting cigarettes was not that difficult for me. I started when I was ten years old and quit when I was 25. Smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day (those days it was cheap). Diving own to the campus from NJ and passing through North Carolina was a smokers dream ($1.50 for a carton of smokes).

Got up one morning, picked up my pack and said to myself "fk this". I crumbled the pack, threw it away, and never went back. I learned one valuable lesson in how to quit. You have to disassociate other activities from smoking. For instance, if you smoke while drinking alcohol, learn to drink without smoke. If you smoke while on the crapper...learn to crap without smoking. If you have to have a smoke after eating..don't! Do that religiously and you will quit in no time whatsoever.

Well put. There were many times when he had a guy wide open, right in front of him and he wouldn't/couldn't throw the ball.

LOL, Jarren had offers from Alabama & OSU among others, hardly schools that "$h!t the bed recruiting a QB"...LOL.

And Quincy Avery has Trevor Lawrence & Deshaun Watson as His clients, the guy knows His $h!t.
Trevor Lawrence trains with Ron Veal not Avery.

Advertisement
This is precisely why Drew Brees has torn it up in the NFL in spite of the fact that he doesn’t have a true NFL arm.

The number one question to ask potential QB recruits from now on is this:

“Do you process, bro?”
Drew Brees doesn't have a true NFL arm? The list of QBs in the history of the NFL who can physically throw the football with more accuracy and precision is virtually nonexistent. There's not a single throw the guy can't make even at 40. The notion that Drew Brees does not have a true NFL arm is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on CIS and that's saying something.

Drew Brees doesn't have a true NFL arm? The list of QBs in the history of the NFL who can physically throw the football with more accuracy and precision is virtually nonexistent. There's not a single throw the guy can't make even at 40. The notion that Drew Brees does not have a true NFL arm is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on CIS and that's saying something.

You don't set passing and td records without an nfl arm lol

Hilarious. Truly hilarious.

I think Drew Brees is a great NFL QB. So calm down. The “NFL arm” comment was a reference to perceived arm strength, not accuracy and precision. You will never hear his name brought up in conversations about QBs with great arm strength. That has been true from the beginning of his career until now.

Advertisement
Hilarious. Truly hilarious.

I think Drew Brees is a great NFL QB. So calm down. The “NFL arm” comment was a reference to perceived arm strength, not accuracy and precision. You will never hear his name brought up in conversations about QBs with great arm strength. That has been true from the beginning of his career until now.

He may not of had a "cannon" but to say he didn't have a nfl level arm is just retarded.

look what happened to Ricky Williams. If one wants to smoke weed, well be it. Down the road it catches up to you. No matter what. Weed can affect an individual after a while.

The lengths people go to justify and rationalize their weed smoking is funny.

"It's not addicting bro"

"It's better for you than alcohol bro"

"It's only a matter of time until it's legal everywhere bro"

Just stop. Nobody's buying it. You'll never normalize it. You want to be a pothead, just be one and own it. Don't try to act like it's normal.

EVERYBODY knows somebody who wants to stop smoking weed but who never does. It might not be as physically addictive as heroin or something like that, but we all know people who would like to stop smoking it but never do, and that is a textbook addict
definitely not true. i want to stop snacking in between meals but i don't. am i addicted to snacking between meals? it has to be part of a mental condition that causes the person to be unwilling to give it up despite the negative consequences. are there even negative consequences from smoking pot?

Advertisement
Back