Jarren Williams Scouting Report

Advertisement
I remember reading your analysis back when you originally posted this and being in total agreement with it.

Excellent eye and study on your part! I wish more posters would know what to watch for in film instead of just following star rankings. It would make CiS a much better sight. Thank you!

It's dull here, I have a cold and I'm bored so I evaluated Williams' game against Dacula that's posted on Youtube.

Arm

• Way better arm talent than I realized from watching his highlights
  • Throws lasers within 15 yards, squeezing throws into tiny windows
  • Effortlessly pushes the ball down the field
  • Can't judge accuracy/ball placement off highlights but this film was revealing - seemed like every throw was placed perfectly hitting receivers in stride at all levels off the field
  • Comfortable and accurate throwing on the move to either side of his body
  • Has a bit of a windup/elongated motion but his arm action is so fast that it's a non-issue

Athleticism

• Again he's more athletic than I gave him credit for previously
  • Elusive in the pocket but doesn't always show a great feel for anticipating the rush
  • Acceleration downhill surprises defenders as he explodes through crowded pockets
  • Creates space as a runner with spins and jukes. Knows how to set up defenders in space
  • Doesn't look that imposing physically but he runs with strength and balance, driving through contact
  • Kelly Bryant is an obvious athletic comparison

Intangibles

• I've been very impressed when I hear him speak in interviews but I'll stick to what I saw and didn't see on film
  • Central Gwinnett ran a very basic spread offense without progression pass concepts so he wasn't really asked to make reads
  • More of a see-it, throw-it passer given the last point
  • Central Gwinnett went empty a lot and Dacula blitzed enough to make Gregg Williams look conservative. Williams didn't make any checks at the line so I assume he wasn't given that freedom because some of their plays had no chance vs. pressure
  • Despite the constant pass rush there were only 1-2 plays where Williams panicked and sped up his process unnecessarily. Rosier is similarly strong in this regard
Williams has the talent to be a special QB. QB prospects with his caliber of athleticism seldom show the accuracy, intelligence and intent to be pocket passers. Marcus Mariota comes to mind but Williams has a stronger arm and more natural, dynamic running skills. I anticipate a redshirt year where he can learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game before he takes over as the starter in 2019 (sorry Perry stans).

The future is bright. Go Canes!

Good call

Advertisement
Bump for the great news today!
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Back