Jarren Williams Scouting Report

Advertisement
NEVER fail.

Last off-season, Perry was the next Charlie Ward or Deshaun Watson. Can’t miss prospect who was going to set the college football world on fire.

Now, we’ve signed a guy even better than that. Lol

Here’s what I know:

Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson are the last 2 Heisman Trophy winners. Neither of them were can’t miss QB prospects.

So, I’m hopeful CMR doesn’t go the “who is likely to be the better NFL QB” route most of these message board evaluations are based on, and plays the guy who is the best leader and playmaker.

Because in the college game, which is all I care about, the QB making the most plays usually wins the game.

No NFL team is taking JT Barrett over Sam Darnold. But every college fan would take Barrett’s resume and production over Darnold’s for their own team.

Who said anything about can't miss prospect setting the world on fire? Straw man argument. This was an exercise in projecting what a prospect can be. I'm not making any guarantees about anything. Players have to develop and there are critical aspects of this kid's game that are uncertain at the moment. How will he adjust to making progression reads especially against physical, athletic, complex defenses like Clemson? No one knows the answer to that.

All I know is from what I've seen and heard this kid is a 5* talent with the desire to be a great pocket QB.

Your nonsense talk about "leader and playmaker" means absolutely nothing without any analysis of how the plays are made. Mayfield is a quick processor with historically great accuracy and the ability to extend plays, and he plays for the best OC in CFB with an elite supporting cast. Jackson is a transcendent athlete with pocket passing ability. JT Barrett is a marginal throwing talent boosted by scheme and supporting cast, and ironically I graded him as a 5* prospect when he was in HS before I stopped evaluating HS kids for a while. Sam Darnold is massively overrated, another Blake Bortles type.

So I don't get what your point is because Mayfield and Jackson are better NFL prospects than Darnold, and Barrett is disliked by most OSU fans because he turns championship contenders into multi-loss teams.

I don’t care who starts next season as long as it ain’t Bruno Mars again(Rosier) **** near broke my tv multiple times cause of him.

Can I get a resume so I know how to value your opinion on QB's ? Right now without knowing you I have you ahead of D$ on QB's , who else should you be put ahead of ?

I've done well evaluating NFL QBs recently. Haven't really watched full games of HS QBs very often to be honest.

Seas, who's upside/ceiling do you like better, Williams or Perry?

Tough call. Williams has better physical tools but Perry has unique ability to improvise and create plays outside of structure, and he can still make all the throws physically.

Ultimately I trust Williams more to live up to his potential because his game is more refined. He can thrive inside of structure, be featured in the running game and still use his athleticism to extend plays or scramble. Perry is a wild card because if he is more selective/careful with his wild pocket movement and unconventional style he could be a Russell Wilson or Baker Mayfield type. But it can be tough to build a consistent offense around a QB like that without an elite OL.

To me, Williams is substance and Perry is style. It's good to have both competing but one will eventually transfer imo because you have to design a different offense for each. Williams fits seamlessly into the offense Richt has shown so far, fwiw.

Fantastic, albeit depressing, perspective.

I hold out hope that with a year in Richt's system, Perry is less of a wild card so as to carry the torch in 2018. We need it.

UM

Advertisement
NEVER fail.

Last off-season, Perry was the next Charlie Ward or Deshaun Watson. Can’t miss prospect who was going to set the college football world on fire.

Here’s what I know:

Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson are the last 2 Heisman Trophy winners. Neither of them were can’t miss QB prospects.

So, I’m hopeful CMR doesn’t go the “who is likely to be the better NFL QB” route most of these message board evaluations are based on, and plays the guy who is the best leader and playmaker.

Because in the college game, which is all I care about, the QB making the most plays usually wins the game.

So I don't get what your point is because Mayfield and Jackson are better NFL prospects than Darnold, and Barrett is disliked by most OSU fans because he turns championship contenders into multi-loss teams.

OK, you definitely lost me there.

Re-read my post, without being defensive.

And it’s pretty clear that my “can’t miss, set the college football world on fire” reference is to Perry. And the answer to your question will be everyone posting about Perry’s commitment felt that way.

But your comments about Mayfield and Jackson are hindsight. If everyone knew they had the skills they have when they graduated high school, Mayfield wouldn’t have been a walk-on and Jackson would, likely, be at FSU or Florida.

I think your comment about Barrett and the Buckeye fans is exaggerated. Most Buckeye fans know JT is an all-time great for their program. But like all spoiled fan bases, someone has to get the blame when the team doesn’t win at the expected/desired level. Dude is the all-time leader in yards and TDs in the B1G. I’d also argue JT scored enough for Ohio State to beat Iowa. That game was on the defense.

NEVER fail.

Here’s what I know:

No NFL team is taking JT Barrett over Sam Darnold. But every college fan would take Barrett’s resume and production over Darnold’s for their own team.

Who said anything about can't miss prospect setting the world on fire? Straw man argument. This was an exercise in projecting what a prospect can be. I'm not making any guarantees about anything. Players have to develop and there are critical aspects of this kid's game that are uncertain at the moment. How will he adjust to making progression reads especially against physical, athletic, complex defenses like Clemson? No one knows the answer to that.

All I know is from what I've seen and heard this kid is a 5* talent with the desire to be a great pocket QB.

Your nonsense talk about "leader and playmaker" means absolutely nothing without any analysis of how the plays are made. Mayfield is a quick processor with historically great accuracy and the ability to extend plays, and he plays for the best OC in CFB with an elite supporting cast. Jackson is a transcendent athlete with pocket passing ability. JT Barrett is a marginal throwing talent boosted by scheme and supporting cast, and ironically I graded him as a 5* prospect when he was in HS before I stopped evaluating HS kids for a while. Sam Darnold is massively overrated, another Blake Bortles type.

Re-read my post, without being defensive.

And it’s pretty clear that my “can’t miss, set the college football world on fire” reference is to Perry. And the answer to your question will be everyone posting about Perry’s commitment felt that way.

But your comments about Mayfield and Jackson are hindsight. If everyone knew they had the skills they have when they graduated high school, Mayfield wouldn’t have been a walk-on and Jackson would, likely, be at FSU or Florida.

I think your comment about Barrett and the Buckeye fans is exaggerated. Most Buckeye fans know JT is an all-time great for their program. But like all spoiled fan bases, someone has to get the blame when the team doesn’t win at the expected/desired level. Dude is the all-time leader in yards and TDs in the B1G. I’d also argue JT scored enough for Ohio State to beat Iowa. That game was on the defense.

Yeah I didn't really understand your post to be honest and I was aware that my interpretation could be off.

I guess I forgot about the Perry hype but that was largely driven by the mods/owners of this site. I never thought he would seriously contend to start this year and even said Weldon was a better fit to contribute right away.

Of course I'm speaking in hindsight. I'm not a "star guy" at all when it comes to recruiting. And yeah, to me the top tier of QBs in this draft is Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson in no order. Josh Allen and Darnold don't interest me.

JT Barrett is a good college QB. His limitations as a passer hold back OSU in key games but their offensive staff deserves some of the blame too for their lack of creativity in the pass game. The OSU fans I know blame both, so you're right I suppose. I only watched a bit of last night's game and I was impressed by his poise stepping up in the pocket and going through multiple reads. But he's had some rough games in the past.

Advertisement
NEVER fail.

Here’s what I know:

Neither Jackson nor Mayfield was great as a freshman, so your premise is flawed.

It appears you're writing Perry off because he wasn't a heisman winner as a true freshman. That's just dumb. And why would CMR not play the better college QB? Again that's just dumb.

It's baffling how anyone upvoted your post, but CIS is about 50% trolls and people who wanted the program to die with Golden, so I guess that explains it.

The development a QB undergoes between his freshman and RS freshman/Soph years is huge. If you expected Perry to be an All-American as a true freshman, that's on you living in a fantasy world

NEVER fail.

Here’s what I know:

Neither Jackson nor Mayfield was great as a freshman, so your premise is flawed.

It appears you're writing Perry off because he wasn't a heisman winner as a true freshman. That's just dumb. And why would CMR not play the better college QB? Again that's just dumb.

It's baffling how anyone upvoted your post, but CIS is about 50% trolls and people who wanted the program to die with Golden, so I guess that explains it.

The development a QB undergoes between his freshman and RS freshman/Soph years is huge. If you expected Perry to be an All-American as a true freshman, that's on you living in a fantasy world

This.

Mayfield is like a 8th year Sr too lol,

True Fr that show up over the summer never start, and if they do their odds are high he'll struggle.

One thing thats glaring watching that game is how bad his mechanics are from a footwork standpoint. His arm and accuracy have some room for improvement.

He just toyed with the defense on the ground in that film. Really special runner with great feet. The spin move is beautiful.

The ? with him is can he read a defense and move through progressions, because like OP said theres no evidence of the in his offense. He was fooled a couple times in that game and got away with it.

Last edited:
Lol ... Wasn’t even your post and you got defensive about it.

Some of y’all are always looking for something to be uptight about. Lol

I’m not writing anyone off, except for #16 . The rest of the guys can all be viable options.

My main point is that guys shouldn’t be trying to do NFL style QB evaluations, because how well a guy projects to the NFL means nothing.

We actually agree, I think. All of our guys, save #16 , can develop into a top level college QB. Just takes hard work from them and the staff catering to their strengths. So guys in their 1st or 2nd year can still do work, even if they don’t ball out from the beginning.

NEVER fail.

Here’s what I know:

Advertisement
You’re better than this, Cribs

Mayfield started year 1, as a walk-on true freshman.

He’s a redshirt because of the transfer to Oklahoma. And he’s been a Heisman finalist 3 straight years. He didn’t just get good. Lol

NEVER fail.

Here’s what I know:

This.

Mayfield is like a 8th year Sr too lol,

True Fr that show up over the summer never start, and if they do their odds are high he'll struggle.

One thing thats glaring watching that game is how bad his mechanics are from a footwork standpoint. His arm and accuracy have some room for improvement.

He just toyed with the defense on the ground in that film. Really special runner with great feet. The spin move is beautiful.

The ? with him is can he read a defense and move through progressions, because like OP said theres no evidence of the in his offense. He was fooled a couple times in that game and got away with it.

Yeah I realized after I posted that I forgot to mention his footwork. It's functional enough for him to throw accurately (no glaring issues like overstriding) but he has a ways to go to become efficient in that area and speed up his drops. The goal of QB fundamentals is to marry feet to eyes so each hitch represents a step in the read progression, and I already mentioned his offense wasn't advanced enough to incorporate reads like that so he's essentially a blank slate in that department. The fact that he wants to operate from the pocket is a positive sign so it will only take reps to develop that part of his game.

Ya I watched the same game last week. I was incredibly impressed.

He's more athletic than I thought.

Advertisement
Competition breeds better Competition, Just hope we have a Good QB who can manage the game. We have enough playmakers that if we get them the ball in the right or close to right situations that they can change the game.
Hope he has the tools to get that done

Who said “can’t miss” dude is 4 star that if he works hard and it clicks will have a promising career.

There's a tendency to build up the incoming guy and forget about the one we already have. Every year we pull in a 4* kid who fans say will be a great QB even as they totally forget about the guy they said the same about last year. You'll forgive the more cynical among us if we expect the same this year. If Perry doesn't immediately grab the starting spot in the spring, Williams will be the second coming and Perry will be trash.

Advertisement
Back