Jarez and Bama change the game on commitments? No games!

ageezy

Cane til I Die
thought this was interesting and i think it has something to do with us maybe getting a slew of early commitments (excerpts from rivals)

Jarez Parks, like lots of football recruits, loved the idea of a National Signing Day announcement.

Until he didn’t.

Parks, a Rivals250 prospect, spent his recruitment fighting to keep things under wraps. He did few interviews and, if he did one, he said less than Charlie Chaplin. Parks was building toward a moment. There was a commitment video shot in Paris and a National Signing Day press conference at his school. He’d planned to commit to Alabama but, somewhere along the way, the scholarship he’d held for months vanished.

What followed were public tears and confusion. In the end, Parks was permitted to sign a delayed scholarship agreement with the Tide, but will spend the upcoming season without a scholarship before joining the team in 2018.

“Those offers don’t last forever,” Williams said. “Your recruiting profile might say you have 50 offers, but it’s funny how that list cuts down and changes. That stuff can disappear real soon if you wait until you’re a senior. The only schools that want you are the ones that keep in contact. They can stop at any time.”

Four-star running back Shaun Shivers committed to Auburn roughly 13 months before his National Signing Day. Did he like the fit? Sure. Does he think he’ll end up signing with the Tigers? Of course.

Still, Shivers won’t pretend the move wasn’t at least a little bit of a defensive measure.

“You have to lock up a spot,” Shivers said. “Look man, what if something happens to you? Why would you play with that? We know it’s all business with these colleges. We know these coaches are always changing everything. Some of us know. My head is always on a swivel when it comes to coaches.”

Placeholder commitments exist and will continue to do so. Every once in a while a player will commit to a school without any intention of actually signing with it. It’s a reality of recruiting. And, as the process evolves, it’s starting to look like an all too necessary one.

Advertisement
Some kids want to be divas and have the big NSD announcements..sometimes it bites you in the ***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but Parks was faithful and Satan played him. I still cannot believe he accepted a gray shirt.

Lol wow. A Paris commitment video? For f*ck sakes. Commit, get your spot and call it a day if you're know you're heading to a program. Bama like programs that aren't desperate aren't going to play these dumb *** games with kids.

On the other side if I were this kid and/or his family I would have told Saban to suck sh*t through a straw. Kids just aren't that smart these days.

Advertisement
OP thanks for sharing this. No new information in that article though, not for those of us who have followed recruiting for some time. It is the world of recruiting as it has been for a very long time. What it should also say, and perhaps it does in the full article, is that some coaches are more ethical than others when it comes to holding space for kids. There is a subjective aspect to this process. For better for or worse we have a coach in Mark Richt who places a premium on relationships and a man's word. That cost us last cycle, but it will not change his values, though it will undoubtedly cause him to tweak his approach, no more silent commits for instance.

Advertisement
What followed were public tears and confusion. In the end, Parks was permitted to sign a delayed scholarship agreement with the Tide, but will spend the upcoming season without a scholarship before joining the team in 2018.

I hate to talk about the kid this way but he is a stone cold fool and an idiot for accepting a delayed scholarship when plenty of top tier schools were willing to give him a full ride even at the last minute. why delay what is guaranteed elsewhere just to be saban's bytch?

Kid clearly wanted to be at Bama no matter what. And he has delayed scholie...he may never end up with a scholie.

An early signing period would be the best option. Get these kids signed and eliminate all the games and the extra non-sense.

Who you think committed to us to hold a spot for 2018?

I think there is a difference between committing somewhere and then changing your mind and committing somewhere as a placeholder.

For instance, the guy in the current class that seems most likely to flip is Jobe, at least that is the narrative. But I don't think we are a placeholder.

Now, I look at Wilder last year and that seemed like a placeholder. He ended up signing, but when he committed it was because his #1 choice had revoked their offer and he didn't want to end up actually having to sign at Utah or some ****.

You want to play games when it comes to your future. That's on you. Hard to have pity when things blow up in your face while trying to get your ego stroked.

Advertisement
Yeah but Parks was faithful and Satan played him. I still cannot believe he accepted a gray shirt.

He played him because he knew he could get played.

The fact that he wouldn't go anywhere else and opted to stick with Bama after getting embarrassed nationally like that tells you everything you need to know about the kid. He doesn't like football, he likes the idea of wearing an Alabama jersey. Simple as that.

I hate to talk about the kid this way but he is a stone cold fool and an idiot for accepting a delayed scholarship when plenty of top tier schools were willing to give him a full ride even at the last minute. why delay what is guaranteed elsewhere just to be saban's bytch?

My sentiments exactly. I don't feel sorry for the kid at all. He just wants to wear and jersey, football wasn't the motivating factor.

Advertisement
Who you think committed to us to hold a spot for 2018?

i don't think anyone has done that for this coming cycle . . . i was referring more to the golden era . . . we'd have a bunch of early commits only to watch them flame out . . . i can remember one guy who committed and coaches never had contact with him (keyshon camps)

obviously our current staff has more credibility

We've had a ton of placeholder verbals over the years. LeSean McCoy still ****es me off. Overall, this class does feel more solid. Hopefully much less drama.

You could argue Jobe was a placeholder verbal when he first committed. And maybe he shouldn't have verballed since he's been taking a long look at Bama. But at least his commitment looks a lot more real today than it did a month or two ago. My guess is that he's the type of verbal that would flip if the wheels come off during the season, but otherwise has the intent to stay home. That's not perfect, but much better than past cycles.

Another reality is that very few kids can wait until NSD to commit. You have to be the elite of the elite. Jarez Parks wasnt that in Sabans eye. Very few kids can get the "dont worry, we will save a spot for you until the bitter end" treatment.

Amazes and disgusts me too...

I would love to know what that conversation entailed, not to mention conversations with any other interested parties, including UM if that was true.

UM

Advertisement
Back