Jaquan Johnson

i just googled jaquan johnson highlights and watched some of him in high school and college. i saw a lot of interceptions and making plays on the ball from all over the field. I saw speed and athleticism along with good instincts and a knack for coming up and making solid, fundamentally strong tackles. in addition, i saw him playing the free spot as a true freshman at miami. pretty impressive. but i saw nothing that gave me an indication that he was lacking the range needed to play the free safety position.

if you guys cant show me anything specific, that's okay. i dont think you're lying about your opinion. i just dont think you'll convince others of it either.

Link?

sure thing:

how google works

Advertisement
Of all the safeties we have who does have the range to play free safety?

IMO Johnson may not have elite speed but his instincts should be more than enough to make him a player at free safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carter played a lot more single high safety (39% of his snaps) than Jenkins did last year (13% of his snaps). From what I saw the single high safety generally had the easier job than the other safety (though someone with a deeper understanding of the defense would probably know better).

In base Quan at safety was the lower safety 37%, single high 11%, split safety 51%. He's generally better the closer he plays to the LOS. I'd expect him to continue playing all over the defense to let the younger players focus on a single spot they're more comfortable with.

Yeah I seen Carter back playing Deep center a lot. Thing about Diaz scheme is all about versatility it seems like we didn't really rotate our Safety's to the strength just played the side they were assigned. I didn't see Jenkins constantly flipping sides to the strength of the offensive formation.

Carter played a lot more single high safety (39% of his snaps) than Jenkins did last year (13% of his snaps). From what I saw the single high safety generally had the easier job than the other safety (though someone with a deeper understanding of the defense would probably know better).

In base Quan at safety was the lower safety 37%, single high 11%, split safety 51%. He's generally better the closer he plays to the LOS. I'd expect him to continue playing all over the defense to let the younger players focus on a single spot they're more comfortable with.

Thank you for the percentages and great post.

I knew Carter played more single high safety than anyone else but these dudes wanted to tell me different.

I preferred Carter in the box where Quan played because his physical gifts and bad coverage were better suited down low.

Advertisement
Yeah I seen Carter back playing Deep center a lot. Thing about Diaz scheme is all about versatility it seems like we didn't really rotate our Safety's to the strength just played the side they were assigned. I didn't see Jenkins constantly flipping sides to the strength of the offensive formation.

Yup..the only time we rotated is if we were in 2 high and Jenk would rotate into the box leaving Carter at FS.

He looked totally out of place as a deep FS.

i just googled jaquan johnson highlights and watched some of him in high school and college. i saw a lot of interceptions and making plays on the ball from all over the field. I saw speed and athleticism along with good instincts and a knack for coming up and making solid, fundamentally strong tackles. in addition, i saw him playing the free spot as a true freshman at miami. pretty impressive. but i saw nothing that gave me an indication that he was lacking the range needed to play the free safety position.

if you guys cant show me anything specific, that's okay. i dont think you're lying about your opinion. i just dont think you'll convince others of it either.

Link?

sure thing:

how google works

link or gtfo

Quan makes the most sense at FS, because if he's not playing FS, then Rome Finely or Amari Carter would be playing Free & they're best at SS.

Quan can play SS/Rover, but we need him for depth purposes at FS because his of Ball skills & instincts, the only thing he doesn't have is prototypical height & speed. (Not saying he's super slow, but he's not necessarily a blazer either)

At SS, we need a Banger that can come down in run support & also Blitz, Quan needs to be playing that same role as Tyrann Mathieu.

That long armed fast rangy FS we've all been waiting on, is actually in the 2018 class & that's Jobe or Frierson (I know the staff likes Gil at CB, but I think eventually he'll play FS, that kid was born to be a FS).

But, until those kids get here, we're gonna have to make due with what we got...

I know a lot of people like Red at FS, but apparently the staff is going to keep him at CB & move Mike Jackson to FS, because he's got more speed than Red.

I'm curious to see what Jeff James looks like in the Spring, I think he has the tools to be a good FS, he's just extremely raw & probably has some maturity issues.

Either way, the most important move of the offseason will be getting Dee Delaney, we get him & that will sure up a lot in our Secondary.

I can agree with this.....my ni99@ lib one of the best posters here. Gil might be moved to cb because of that beast Hall who has everything u want in a safety same as jobs IMO.

How does this thread go 3 pages without mention of Diaz's 2-Read Coverage?

As for Quan, he's better when his short area and instincts are on display. If at all possible, I'd leave him at Nickel until Bandy is ready. We'll see if anyone can step up.

Our single high safety was only sporadically put to the test in our scheme because of how Diaz matches single high with aggressive blitz schemes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Quan makes the most sense at FS, because if he's not playing FS, then Rome Finely or Amari Carter would be playing Free & they're best at SS.

Quan can play SS/Rover, but we need him for depth purposes at FS because his of Ball skills & instincts, the only thing he doesn't have is prototypical height & speed. (Not saying he's super slow, but he's not necessarily a blazer either)

At SS, we need a Banger that can come down in run support & also Blitz, Quan needs to be playing that same role as Tyrann Mathieu.

That long armed fast rangy FS we've all been waiting on, is actually in the 2018 class & that's Jobe or Frierson (I know the staff likes Gil at CB, but I think eventually he'll play FS, that kid was born to be a FS).

But, until those kids get here, we're gonna have to make due with what we got...

I know a lot of people like Red at FS, but apparently the staff is going to keep him at CB & move Mike Jackson to FS, because he's got more speed than Red.

I'm curious to see what Jeff James looks like in the Spring, I think he has the tools to be a good FS, he's just extremely raw & probably has some maturity issues.

Either way, the most important move of the offseason will be getting Dee Delaney, we get him & that will sure up a lot in our Secondary.

I can agree with this.....my ni99@ lib one of the best posters here. Gil might be moved to cb because of that beast Hall who has everything u want in a safety same as jobs IMO.
Much respect bro, I agree with you 100% on Hall... He's good enough to play both FS & SS at an Elite level.

As for Quan, he's better when his short area and instincts are on display. If at all possible, I'd leave him at Nickel until Bandy is ready. We'll see if anyone can step up.

Our single high safety was only sporadically put to the test in our scheme because of how Diaz matches single high with aggressive blitz schemes.

Precisely, Diaz rarely leaves the FS out to dry in his scheme. There was never enough time for Carter to truly be exposed at free safety due to the design of the defense.

Advertisement

Where did you get these numbers from?

Do you mind explaining it?

Advertisement

The short of it is in Diaz's 2-read defense (a coverage used by virtually all the top teams) the Safeties are split up top with equal responsibility and providing leverage against the run. The coverage calls for guys who can fill and tackle in space. It's why you hear Diaz and Banda incessantly mention tackling. Diaz's belief is mostly predicated on early down success.

In today's football, that means stopping the run or the quick screens against a spread team. In Cover 3 (think CB 1/3, FS at top 1/3, CB 1/3), you'll often see Free Safeties (what people here are calling single high) backpedal 2 steps at the snap. Anyway, that's what I was taught and have seen taught. In 2-read, the 2 safeties split up top are basically flat or even inching forward (a potential mistake). Mentality and responsibilities are totally different.

In that coverage, whether you're the Free Safety or the Strong Safety, you definitely have to fill and tackle, and you may end up man to man (hopefully for only a quick moment because of pressure) against an inside WR from either side. In other words, while we play single high at times, we also play coverages where the Safeties have much more similar responsibilities than what the traditional understanding of a Free vs Strong safety would dictate.

The short of it is in Diaz's 2-read defense (a coverage used by virtually all the top teams) the Safeties are split up top with equal responsibility and providing leverage against the run. The coverage calls for guys who can fill and tackle in space. It's why you hear Diaz and Banda incessantly mention tackling. Diaz's belief is mostly predicated on early down success.

In today's football, that means stopping the run or the quick screens against a spread team. In Cover 3 (think CB 1/3, FS at top 1/3, CB 1/3), you'll often see Free Safeties (what people here are calling single high) backpedal 2 steps at the snap. Anyway, that's what I was taught and have seen taught. In 2-read, the 2 safeties split up top are basically flat or even inching forward (a potential mistake). Mentality and responsibilities are totally different.

In that coverage, whether you're the Free Safety or the Strong Safety, you definitely have to fill and tackle, and you may end up man to man (hopefully for only a quick moment because of pressure) against an inside WR from either side. In other words, while we play single high at times, we also play coverages where the Safeties have much more similar responsibilities than what the traditional understanding of a Free vs Strong safety would dictate.

And this is why I come to this board. Thanks.

Johnson lacks elite speed but makes up for that in play recognition. He reminds me a little of Ed Reed who wasn't the fastest free safety but could diagnose a play based on formation, and read the qb's eyes better than anyone I've ever seen. I think Johnson can play all the positions in the secondary if needed. However if the front 7 is as nasty as we all think they are going to be, then all we need is a serviceable secondary to get through most games.

Johnson lacks elite speed but makes up for that in play recognition. He reminds me a little of Ed Reed who wasn't the fastest free safety but could diagnose a play based on formation, and read the qb's eyes better than anyone I've ever seen. I think Johnson can play all the positions in the secondary if needed. However if the front 7 is as nasty as we all think they are going to be, then all we need is a serviceable secondary to get through most games.

I hope Jaquan makes a similar jump in his play making ability that #20 made from his Soph to Jr year as a Cane. They do have very similar physical attributes at this stage of their careers. I think Jaquan steps up and becomes our leader in the defensive backfield if not the defense as a whole. I expect teams will have to game plan for him in due time. I think our whole defense gets better this year, it's really going to be something to see. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back