Jan 20 at Syracuse noon ESPN2

Absolutely are. It hasn’t been a great coaching job by L either. Doesn’t mean I want him gone.

Do what he’s done at a school not known for basketball and I think he’s earned the right to be trusted to straighten this out going into next year

I agree 1000000% with that. I do think you’re overreacting about the team being bad and dumb… I’m not sure they’re being put in the best position to succeed. But we are absolutely lucky to have L as our coach.

Advertisement
I’m one of the biggest L critics on this board bc of roster management and his inability to develop front court guys or a bench. But hot seat doesn’t apply this year. Next year, 100%. If he repeats this season next year, you ask him to leave.

I just don’t think people realize how good Wong and Miller were. Outside of the blue bloods, you don’t just replace those guys and not see a major drop off.
True, but with our success the last 2 years and our NIL, why didn't we get more help from the portal?

My main issue with this team isn't the talent level. My problem is the dumb, lackadaisical, sloppy, undisciplined play and poor coaching. We should have at least 3 more conference wins.

How many times over the last few weeks did Coach L get out coached by far less experienced and accomplished coaches?

I agree 1000000% with that. I do think you’re overreacting about the team being bad and dumb… I’m not sure they’re being put in the best position to succeed. But we are absolutely lucky to have L as our coach.
It's a very low IQ team. Wooga is not adjusting well to be more of an offensive focal point and it's made him press, which had led to many questionable decisions with shot selection, reading defenses, etc. Omier is foul-prone when he's healthy. Bensley has regressed to his freshman self. Pack has been playing out of a position at PG since last year anyways and the lack of other ballhandling options only magnify his shortcomings off the bounce and as a facilitator. It was nice to see Kyshawn with the ball in hands down the stretch for once.

Cleveland has really been the one semi-constant but he's been far from steady.

Wouldn't that sort of indicate some changes are badly needed? Anyway, typical Miami sports this decade... debate over players are toxic vs coaching sucks... when both generally contain a fair amount of truth
Sadly, to me it does.

I love Coach L....and I think if he can be allowed to go nuts in the portal this year, he could make a nice final run in '25-'26, but a lot of coaches are simply going to sit guys that don't take coaching and simply keep making the same stupid f-k decisions on the floor. Obviously, we might not have that luxury, but you simply have to "teach" guys that won't listen that it is your way or the highway. If he isn't doing that, or isn't "able" to do that...that might mean his time is up sooner than any of us would really want. The reality with NIL though is that there are going to bigger egos and entitlement at times to deal with.

I said it earlier this year...he simply looks tired, and it is understandable, he works harder than most younger coaches for a guy his age. To work that hard and then have your kids play disorganized and selfish has to got to be a punch in the ******* gut.

Advertisement
Quote of the week I just saw posted - "Coach L should have taken a knee"

Nothing could capture being a Miami fan right now better than that lololol

True, but with our success the last 2 years and our NIL, why didn't we get more help from the portal?

My main issue with this team isn't the talent level. My problem is the dumb, lackadaisical, sloppy, undisciplined play and poor coaching. We should have at least 3 more conference wins.

How many times over the last few weeks did Coach L get out coached by far less experienced and accomplished coaches?
Idk I asked the same thing. At this point it’s got to be L not wanting the front court guys bc they don’t fit his style. As far as what we got, they aren’t playing hard enough or smart enough and the coaching staff doesn’t know how to fix it. Idk if it can be fixed. And there’s not enough bodies to change anything.

Wooga’s development is so strange, he clearly has developed as a jump shooter. He’s lights out in that aspect. But that’s the only positive I see in his offensive game. He has no offensive “bag” right now. Given he has a good 1st step and can jump out the gym it’s pretty odd to see him be primarily a spot up shooter

Wooga’s development is so strange, he clearly has developed as a jump shooter. He’s lights out in that aspect. But that’s the only positive I see in his offensive game. He has no offensive “bag” right now. Given he has a good 1st step and can jump out the gym it’s pretty odd to see him be primarily a spot up shooter
Because he can’t handle the rock or at least there hasn’t been a game where he’s shown he can

Advertisement
Because he can’t handle the rock or at least there hasn’t been a game where he’s shown he can
Said it early in season, NONE of those guys showed they could handle the ball well enough to be THAT guy when game on the line.. Now midway thru season I think George is only one who has shown flashes and it looked like he was gonna take over to end the game but now I question his judgement because he passed to benz with game on the line lol..

Hope the coaches empower him and start him rest of season, its clear what needs to be done. Benz aint that guy. He is more bench guy. Whatever growing pains we have with George, might as well get to it now.. Give him the keys..

Said it early in season, NONE of those guys showed they could handle the ball well enough to be THAT guy when game on the line.. Now midway thru season I think George is only one who has shown flashes and it looked like he was gonna take over to end the game but now I question his judgement because he passed to benz with game on the line lol..

Hope the coaches empower him and start him rest of season, its clear what needs to be done. Benz aint that guy. He is more bench guy. Whatever growing pains we have with George, might as well get to it now.. Give him the keys..
No point guard is a killer offensively, as well as everyone shoots the the ball. so many bad shots. Coach L needs to reel everyone in. the offense runs through Pack first. Pack and George are the best offensive players. Omier has to be the 3rd because you need a presence in the paint. Omier is also very good in the paint. Cleveland would be the 4th option, he has game offensively.

Advertisement
No point guard is a killer offensively, as well as everyone shoots the the ball. so many bad shots. Coach L needs to reel everyone in. the offense runs through Pack first. Pack and George are the best offensive players. Omier has to be the 3rd because you need a presence in the paint. Omier is also very good in the paint. Cleveland would be the 4th option, he has game offensively.
Was more talking about end game ball handling situations, driving into teeth of defense geared to stop you.. Pack is small and gets swallowed up with size.. Agreed with list overall tho I think Wooga and Cleveland probably move up

My takeaways from yesterday's game at the Carrier Dome. First, the positives. Nwoko showed flashes and certainly earned more PT going forward. After watching his performance, really makes me wonder why he hasn't been playing at all? Needs to do a better job of playing hard on every play, but definitely looked like someone who could help this team..... Matt Cleveland continues his hot streak. With his current rise and Poplar's dip in play, Cleveland is looking more and more like the Canes' top pick in the next NBA draft.

And now, the negatives. Wooga Poplar needs to play better. I'm not sure if he's playing hurt or not, but he must give us more. His game is too up & down. Must find a way to be more consistent, game in and game out. Can't be great in the cakewalk games and disappear in the big games. If he's going to be our best player and lead us into the big dance, he needs to show it.... Team continues to do a poor job of executing the offense. We look selfish at times and at other times we look like a rec team playing at the local Y. We take way too many bad shots in crucial moments only to come back to haunt us. NO ONE on this team should be taking 25+ foot jumpers with plenty of time still on the shot clock. It's exasperating... I don't think there's too many instances where I'll question Coach L on strategy or X's & O's, but we should've never lost on that final play. We got the ball back with almost a minute left in the game. I don't understand why we didn't play 2-for-1 in that situation. We had 2 timeouts remaining. Could've called a timeout. Set up a quick hitter and give your team an opportunity to get the ball back, for what likely would've been the final possession of the game.

that last play wasn't on joseph at all. he had to help on the roll man cause they told george not to leave bell in the corner. if he didn't help then mintz lobs the ball to brown for a dunk.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 154223.png

#1 took a false step and ended up in no man's land getting back to brown so joseph had to stay on brown a split second longer, and #0 didn't put his hands up to harrass mintz on the pass.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 154520.png

mintz made a great pass and copeland got lucky and made an incredible shot with all his momentum going backwards. **** happens.

Advertisement
that last play wasn't on joseph at all. he had to help on the roll man cause they told george not to leave bell in the corner. if he didn't help then mintz lobs the ball to brown for a dunk.

#1 took a false step and ended up in no man's land getting back to brown so joseph had to stay on brown a split second longer, and #0 didn't put his hands up to harrass mintz on the pass.
...sounds spot on, and I respect your analysis. I like George a lot but his defense is still "developing". Plenty other stuff to blame Joseph for, so negating this incident seems reasonable.

Advertisement
Back