2024 Jamil Watkins 3* DB from Vanguard

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
@DMoney from the 6/1 Bank

- Sleeper name to remember at CB- Jamil Watkins at Ocala Vanguard.

Apparently, Manny was the first coach to offer him.

Advertisement
He related to the Justin Watkins kid who was committed to UF and caught the DV charge shortly after getting on campus?

Advertisement
Kid's pretty explosive. I probably take him over a Ricky Knight for instance, although I like Knight too. This kid looks faster and a just tad more fluid.

Advertisement
At the risk of sounding like a Mario shill. I actually think this kid is pretty good. Good feet and hips. Sticks to WRs. Strong taking blocks and good in the run game. Good returner.

I’m not sure about his speed but looks fast enough and faster than most other players on the field.

He seems to match the staff's "type" as far as height/length and his activity in the run game. He's mostly staying in his guy's hip on the deep coverage highlights (that play at 3:18 he got beat off the line and saved by a bad pass, though), but he doesn't look fast or particularly explosive to me. The only track time I could find was an 11.95s 100m back on 2/27/2021. I'm sure he's faster now, but he doesn't look especially athletic to me. That is a bit concerning because typically at CB the good ones stand out. Next best offers are Iowa State and FAU.

There are some things to like, but he looks more like a Plan B/C type of CB. Maybe he develops in his senior year, but not a guy whose highlights I watch and say, "this guy should be a 4-star recruit."

82q562.gif

Advertisement
He seems to match the staff's "type" as far as height/length and his activity in the run game. He's mostly staying in his guy's hip on the deep coverage highlights (that play at 3:18 he got beat off the line and saved by a bad pass, though), but he doesn't look fast or particularly explosive to me. The only track time I could find was an 11.95s 100m back on 2/27/2021. I'm sure he's faster now, but he doesn't look especially athletic to me. That is a bit concerning because typically at CB the good ones stand out. Next best offers are Iowa State and FAU.

There are some things to like, but he looks more like a Plan B/C type of CB. Maybe he develops in his senior year, but not a guy whose highlights I watch and say, "this guy should be a 4-star recruit."

If the ISU offer is real it's a good thing…They evaluate very well.

I could see corner or free safety here.

He's rangy

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back