Jamil Burroughs (former Alabama DT) enrolled and practicing with team. Update: not eligible for 2023 per cribby

I'm using Mario's words here. I overheard him on Hurricane Hotline very recently claming how his desire is to build the program through recruiting and development. He should want to improve the team with transfers but we should not be trying to assemble a national championship team in 2024. The eyes of the program should be looking ahead to 2025 and beyond. It shouldn't be all that different than NFL free agency. Teams that are building calculate and wait until the time is right to spend big on FAs.

Also, from a culture standpoint it makes sense to build the team through recruiting. Culture has been a major bugaboo at Miami and patching holes everywhere is detrimental in that aspect imo. There's no guarantee that the recruits brought here by Mario will want to stay at Miami for 4 years, but we have a better chance at owning a good retention rate by allowing recruits to grow up on the field in certain spots.

OK, all of that is true.

But also consider the reality.

If your team wins 11-12 games every year, you are probably not "missing" on many of your HS recruits and also not having to rely on the Portal as much.

And if your team wins 8-9 games every year (or fewer), then you probably ARE missing on more of your HS recruits AND having to rely on the Portal more.

It's not always a "strategic choice". It can very well be a necessity.

That's why I questioned all the F$U-fellating Norvell fanboys who were drooling over Prison Mike's "Portal Strategy" a couple of years ago. Strategy? It was more like a Portal Necessity.

Advertisement
Should the goal be to win everything right away though? Miami should not have its sights set on making the playoffs next year.

If the team's W/L record has to suffer slightly while some younger players like Jaden Harris, Markeith Williams, Josh Horton, Collins, Aguirre, Bryant, Stafford, Kinsler, the Washingtons, etc take their lumps, then that's the way it's gotta be imo. It was acceptable to bring in several transfers since 2021 but 3 recruiting cycles later I just don't see why that practice must continue. Mario claims he wants to build this through recruiting. Fine. Do it.

Yes and HARD YES to the bolded. We absolutely should be gunning to make the playoffs next year. We have the talent to do it, just missing maybe 8 more guys in a 2-deep of 44 guys. 2 QBs, 1-2 DTs, 1-2 CBs, 1-2 Ss and a WR1. Get those 8 guys, you make the 12-team expanded playoffs IMHO.

I understand your point on the young guys. But if we're winning 10 or 11 games, we're rotating in a lot of young guys in the second half of games. They're playing against better competition in practice than in games, and they're understudies to NFLers. That's the value prop to those kids. Markeith will be a year 3 kid, the other guys year 2. Nothing wrong with subbing in for the 2-deep for a ACCCG team.

Advertisement
Sorry, but struggling to follow. Is he still part of the program? If so, is a rotation guy or possible difference maker?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Jamil Burroughs Is he still on the team ?​

1701693695179.gif

Advertisement
What in the Manny Diaz is going on here??
He performed the Walk of Contrition by carrying a giant espresso machine down Calle Ocho and around Vizcaya while being beaten with plantains while crying out for forgiveness.

And it was raining and lightning.

Think of it as a scene from an Oscar-worthy movie that you probably wouldn't watch.

Advertisement
Back