Jamil Burroughs (former Alabama DT) enrolled and practicing with team. Update: not eligible for 2023 per cribby

Advertisement
Agreed, generally. But context matters. 2 guys in a heated argument/fight tend to say a lot of things that they don’t mean. Just think of all the stupid things we have all said to our significant others in a heated argument, not to mention just before or after an actual fight. So I’d love to know the context but I’m sure we never will (and maybe should not).

My concern with this young man, and I said it when he transferred, is that this is a pattern. Once is an exception, twice is a pattern. He may have a very real anger management issue. i would make him go to counseling before making any final decision. He needs to learn how and when to be violent, and when to be a normal member of society. Hopefully he can learn this distinction as it appears his anger issues thus far have been football related.

Even as I write this Von Miller, a very respected an NFL player, is accused of domestic violence.
Not all of us lose our cool in the heat of the argument. Personally I like to sit down and right out my thoughts…

IMG_1975.jpeg

Go look at last class and then look at how this portal class finishes. Actions speak louder than words . Theres no way you roll into next season with that group as your only DT’s. I know we’re after multiple guys right now.
I'm juss sayin' that we should be very careful with who and how many transfers we accept. If this is a 5 year rebuild then year 3 is probably the right time to stop trying to patch holes and let someone like Moten take on a larger role instead of a grad transfer like Gore, Lichtenstein, Campbell. Deen was a solid find. Same thing at safety with Harris and Williams entering year 3. Let them play. Don't replace Parrish or Brashard with kids thru the portal. Trust who you're recruited and see what they've got.

Constantly having to compensate for areas where recruiting has failed is indicative of a larger issue. I know I don't need to tell you this but we saw how well it served so many from the Butch Davis era to get thrown into the fire early. Reed, Morgan, Moss, Lewis, Dorsey became great by playing right away. They played because there was no other choice but patching leaks with grad transfers hasn't worked that well through two seasons and I hope we tone it down. Stop trying to win now and build a program.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm juss sayin' that we should be very careful with who and how many transfers we accept. If this is a 5 year rebuild then year 3 is probably the right time to stop trying to patch holes and let someone like Moten take on a larger role instead of a grad transfer like Gore, Lichtenstein, Campbell. Deen was a solid find. Same thing at safety with Harris and Williams entering year 3. Let them play. Don't replace Parrish or Brashard with kids thru the portal. Trust who you're recruited and see what they've got.

Constantly having to compensate for areas where recruiting has failed is indicative of a larger issue. I know I don't need to tell you this but we saw how well it served so many from the Butch Davis era to get thrown into the fire early. Reed, Morgan, Moss, Lewis, Dorsey became great by playing right away. They played because there was no other choice but patching leaks with grad transfers hasn't worked that well through two seasons and I hope we tone it down. Stop trying to win now and build a program.
If the guys on the roster are better they will play

Advertisement

I appreciate this and agree to an extent. Back then, those guys you mentioned played bc of sanctions and the lack of other available and credible players. I'm guessing, but if the Portal had existed in the late 90s, Butch would have used it. To your point though, it doesn't have to be binary. We can have some experienced guys rotating with some of the younger guys. It's probably the best and most efficient way to give them reps, give them skin in the game, and build the program as you say.

Advertisement
What happened to Mario wanting to improve culture and holding guys accountable? Manny Diaz move right here.
No one knows the intimate details to make an INFORMED judgement one way or the other. I have no doubt Mario wouldn’t let this guy back on the team without vetting the entire situation.

Advertisement
Staff is acutely aware of the need to build DT the right way in particular the pyramid needed… you’ll some big time portal guys and depth guys but still very aware the need to recruit and develop young freshman to sophomore, etc

Exactly.... and I think we will start seeing these bowl games almost like a reverse preseason or spring training in baseball. We have seen it far too often where good player from Team A is hurt in the Cafe Risque Bowl..... aside from CFP and then the top 2-3 bowls, the rest are meaningless with very little reward. Yes ending the season at 8-5 vs 7-6 or with an offensive blowout of a good team does seeeem better but if that loss is with a bunch of TF playing and everyone knows it then its a nothing. Like that year UF got blown out by maybe OU? No one cared because all of Florida's offense sat. We all made fun of them but I dont think it caused a single recruit any alarms and by the next year no one cares about 8-5 vs 7-6.
Except for those of us holding “over” tickets at 7.5

different times, different rules, by the way Butch had an eye for talent, and development of talent, that I haven't seen since Butch left.

Advertisement
Back