James Williams' projection for 2022 and beyond

Advertisement
this is bad because it's dumb but also bad because you're right. ****** see 6'3+ and say add weight.
Exactly! The kid play safety all throughout HS and was ranked the no. 1 at it and folks still want to add weight and move him to the LOS.

As much as no one wants to hear it, he did an awful job at tackling. Needs to focus and wrap up. Dude was kinda free lancing out there. Probably not just on him. Wasn’t coached well

Idk how he will develop at Safety but I feel like his ceiling is higher at LB.

Advertisement
If he moves closer to the LOS then he will have to get a little more physical. He can be listed as a safety but he will obviously be used all over the field.

Wrong Clemson DB
N0012377907--720622(1).JPG

Advertisement
Nah Sean Taylor was a different type of athlete & had great ball skills & change of direction. No one ever seriously talked about him moving to LB although he could play a ton of positions.
today they would. Anyone saying move J-Will would move ST26.

today they would. Anyone saying move J-Will would move ST26.
No they wouldn't. Simmons & Williams are 2 inches taller and Williams will probably put on 20 more lbs. Youre comparing totally different players. They aren't in Sean's realm. They only reason they are talking about moving JW to LB is because he isn't as much of a sure thing as Sean was at DB. People never questioned Sean as a DB. It gets brought up with JW all the time because he will likely end up at LB in the league.

Advertisement
He’s better as a Frosh, than Ray Ray was .. he’s a more fluid mover too than Ray Ray.. that’s not his comp. IMO .. and it’s not the same situation ..

Would love to hear from some of you who are closer to the players what the feeling is around Williams' physical progress. Naturally, I ask because he's a giant kid with a big frame. I know he's been intent on remaining a Safety. I also realize defenses continue to be evolve as more "positionless."

Nonetheless, someone close to him mentioned he had been dieting or restricting natural growth to remain under a certain size. Is that true?

Next season, our deepest position might be Safety. We'll have JWilliams, AWilliams, KKinchens, Balom (if healthy), Washington, maybe Frierson, maybe Keontra as a hybrid, Harrell, and Markeith Williams (True Frosh). I may have missed someone.

When I re-watched some of our games, James looked best getting after the passer. Clearly, that's why he was used that way on 3rd down subpackages. A lot of how he's used will depend on the DC, we realize. But, Mario has already said "multiple" about 345 times. We can reasonably expect odd and even fronts, and varying subpackages. For those who understand the LB position behind odd fronts better than I, any thoughts on what a transition might look like?

Ray Ray Armstrong made the move too late, but still put together a ~10-year NFL career. JWilliams is bigger right now than Ray Ray was going into the NFL and *may* be stunting his growth (according to some).

Look forward to thoughts on how this situation unfolds.
Frierson won’t be here fwiw already picked his landing spot

Advertisement
this is bad because it's dumb but also bad because you're right. ****** see 6'3+ and say add weight.
Again, nah. In this case, It’s been said JW is actively restricting his diet. I don’t know him, so I have no way to confirm. It was posed as a question in the OP. But, if he is working hard to stay slim enough to play S, then he’s only delaying the inevitable. If it’s a bogus claim, then who knows. He’s still at his best chasing QBs around and screaming off the edge (not as a DL, but as a blitzer).

Advertisement
Back