Off-Topic James Franklin = Al Golden + Extra Scumbaggery

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Pretty bad thread. Obviously there could be another side to this kid's story but I've always thought Franklin was a fraud pos so I'm inclined to believe it. Looks like we actually offered this kid at some point too.

Advertisement
Reading through his story/allegations...

I'm inclined to believe this young needs significant mental health assistance.

This isn't a PSU/Franklin problem, it's a him problem.

Hopefully he gets connected to the resources he clearly needs.

This is a PSU/Franklin problem, this was all brought on by Coach Franklin's behavior (causing Bryce anxiety, depression, etc) and lack of understanding or care. It is horrible how they treated him and then ghosted the **** out of him afterward's. I understand being upset that he isn't reaching weight but to threaten him with taking away his scholarship is cold.

I understand your perspective but I can't help but think that James Franklin is at least partly responsible here. The guy is a 1st rate douche.

Life is a pressure cooker at times and how you deal with it is a you problem.

It's cut and dry in sports, there's expectations. The same as there is in the workplace. He didn't meet expectations and a downward spiral occurred.

I hope he gets help. I don't know what kind of help, that's not my field. I'm sympathetic to all of it and hopefully PSU (all schools for that matter) works on their approach to this type of situation and improves upon it.

Obviously this is a very one sided take so I'm not going to point fingers. Get this young man some help to figure out how and where he goes from here as a healthy individual.

Advertisement
Will be curious to hear PSUs response, since the truth will likely fall somewhere in the middle. Either way, it does seem like there's at least some dysfunction in the way this was all handled by the program. If a player needs mental health assistance, the team should have structures in place to offer that. Every school has at least some mental health offering, and I bet the football program has something incremental.

he needs mental health assistance but that isn't a "problem". but, it would appear that penn state coaching staff categorizing it as such is part of the problem in how they support this young man.

This is a PSU/Franklin problem, this was all brought on by Coach Franklin's behavior (causing Bryce anxiety, depression, etc) and lack of understanding or care. It is horrible how they treated him and then ghosted the **** out of him afterward's. I understand being upset that he isn't reaching weight but to threaten him with taking away his scholarship is cold.
It's the tragic consequences of the life this young athlete chose.

It appears, through his own words, he does not have the resiliency to adapt and function in this environment. No one but this young man "causes" his anxiety and depression. Can people or situations become triggers? Sure.

At the the end of the day however, it's just how this young man is built. Let's hope he gets the resources and resiliency he needs.

Advertisement
he needs mental health assistance but that isn't a "problem". but, it would appear that penn state coaching staff categorizing it as such is part of the problem in how they support this young man.
It's a delicate issue. By his own words, the young man is suffering from mental illness. By inference of those words, he has a lack of resiliency.

It's a big problem for all with the combination of his medical issues and the pressures/demands of D1P5 college football. It's a brutal and heartless calculation, but there it is.

I understand your perspective but I can't help but think that James Franklin is at least partly responsible here. The guy is a 1st rate douche.
I don't disagree. He [Franklin] mighr not be (ok probably isn't) built to compassionately and effectively handle a situation like this.

All joking aside, not surprising coming from him as he was quoted at Vanderbilt to measure the worth of his assistance coaches and their "confidence" by how hot their girlfriend/wife is.

No more cold than here we have dozens of porsters calling for the benching/boy buh bye of [insert-Canes-player].

Knowles, Pope, Freeman, Nelson, Ivey, etc...etc...etc...

This CIS tradition arguably goes back to the seminal porst. The "big bang" if you will.

@Andrew who/what was holds the distinction of CIS thread#1, post #1?

I mean, it's never a good look to criticize those who believed in you and gave you a chance.

With that being said, @Tad Footeball can you unpack what happened?
I'm obviously biased against Franklin and Pedo State but from 30,000 feet it looks like this:

- They recruited and enrolled a kid that may have had some previous mental health issues.
- Kid underperformed and Franklin has a Golden-esque infatuation with weight and made that the bane of this kid's existence.
- Kid's preexisting issues are exacerbated by this and Franklin completely sours on the kid and essentially pushes him out of the program. Program appears to even ice out any attempted contact from the kid's mother
- Kid is in a bad spot but just wants to continue there as a student and even starts to pay out of pocket to do so
- Franklin and Pedo State at best appear to keep putting up roadblocks to allow this kid do that and at worst are making a concerted proactive effort to get him out State College

Again, there are usually two sides to these type or stories but I also have no reason to not believe that at this point this kid is just seeking to continue his education.

Franklin fraudulently sells himself as this dude that LOVES all of his players like sons and is a master of all that shtick. So he absolutely shouid have to address this.

We're certainly not perfect and I believe there have been credible issues with our training/medical staff in the past but this absolutely would've been a national story by now if it happened at Miami. Mario would even have to answer how the previous staff did or didn't address mental health issues.

Advertisement
I'm obviously biased against Franklin and Pedo State but from 30,000 feet it looks like this:

- They recruited and enrolled a kid that may have had some previous mental health issues.
- Kid underperformed and Franklin has a Golden-esque infatuation with weight and made that the bane of this kid's existence.
- Kid's preexisting issues are exacerbated by this and Franklin completely sours on the kid and essentially pushes him out of the program. Program appears to even ice out any attempted contact from the kid's mother
- Kid is in a bad spot but just wants to continue there as a student and even starts to pay out of pocket to do so
- Franklin and Pedo State at best appear to keep putting up roadblocks to allow this kid do that and at worst are making a concerted proactive effort to get him out State College

Again, there are usually two sides to these type or stories but I also have no reason to not believe that at this point this kid is just seeking to continue his education.

Franklin fraudulently sells himself as this dude that LOVES all of his players like sons and is a master of all that shtick. So he absolutely shouid have to address this.

We're certainly not perfect and I believe there have been credible issues with our training/medical staff in the past but this absolutely would've been a national story by now if it happened at Miami. Mario would even have to answer how the previous staff did or didn't address mental health issues.

****, your write up made me go read the thread! You're right, if this were UM, ESPN would be putting out a banger of a campaign.

I hope well for the kid.

And it leaves you wondering where the kid would be at today, as a player, if PSU was more proactive in monitoring its players. We just got out of a pandemic, it's not like we don't know people are struggling mentally through these times.

Franklin covered up rape at Vandy, if anybody thinks that guy has a soul, read his testimony in court and you will understand you were wrong. Lied about the whole situation and then wormed his way out. PSU has no shame or they never would have hired him. He is lucky the father didn't end him.

Advertisement
Back