Jamal Carter

Yall can hate on the defense and rightfully so, but this dude took horrible a$$ angles and misplayed a ton of passes, when he got them right he was a monster, this is his first time to be on the field full time so lets see if last years burn gets him acclimated to college ball

Exactly.

Advertisement
Too bad Golden/Williams had such a hard-on for Fentress.

Carter got tons of playing time, but spent much of it taking bad angles or trying to make the big hit..and missing, instead of just making the play. He's got the potential, he just has to get his head in the game.

He was lined up about 9 miles from the line of scrimmage

Despite your nonsense, even if true it doesn't change the fact that he, as well as Kirby, were notorious for taking really bad angles whenever in pursuit. Fentress, despite not having the physical gifts that Carter does, did not have the same problems Carter did with tackling. Whatever issues the defensive "scheme" may have had, Carter needs to get his head in the game if he wants his level of play to match his athletic ability.

He has all the tools and has been putting it together mentally and technique wise this offseason. He was one of those types that needed a redshirt. Last year was his first real year of getting his feet wet. Was raw coming in. If he has put in the time this offseason like I've seen and heard. Breakout year.

Advertisement
Has a mediocore season at best, tests the NFL waters and comes back as a day three draft pick. Hires Drew. Goes to the combine, freaks people out and moves into the second round. Becomes Pro-Bowler in year two.

Yall can hate on the defense and rightfully so, but this dude took horrible a$$ angles and misplayed a ton of passes, when he got them right he was a monster, this is his first time to be on the field full time so lets see if last years burn gets him acclimated to college ball
So he needs to bone up on geometry.

Oh what could have been if Golden would have gone after this guy and made staff changes! With just two hires Miami would be a preseason Top 10 right now! This guy took Wisconsin farm kids and state of florida 5th tier kids an beat Auburn while out smarting Gus Malzhan.

[video=youtube;10Z1VFjXZL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Z1VFjXZL0[/video]

Who wants that guy when we have Donofrio?! I'm just so thankful Golden was able to hang onto Mark D with all the suitors vying for his talent.

He has all the tools and has been putting it together mentally and technique wise this offseason. He was one of those types that needed a redshirt. Last year was his first real year of getting his feet wet. Was raw coming in. If he has put in the time this offseason like I've seen and heard. Breakout year.

Let's hope so. The kid has all the physical tools to be a star, just needs to complete the package with the mental side of the game. The experience and another offseason, as you mentioned, hopefully will be what it takes to get to that next step.

Advertisement
Fentress, despite not having the physical gifts that Carter does, did not have the same problems Carter did with tackling.

#28 took good angles huh?

[video=youtube;6YLo5RlKMyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLo5RlKMyo[/video]

Yeah?

[video=youtube;bQYPF1f-qI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYPF1f-qI4[/video]

Fentress, despite not having the physical gifts that Carter does, did not have the same problems Carter did with tackling.

#28 took good angles huh?

[video=youtube;6YLo5RlKMyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLo5RlKMyo[/video]

Yeah?

[video=youtube;bQYPF1f-qI4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQYPF1f-qI4[/video]

Wow, you got me. Of course, you could take some lowlights of any player in college ball and show bad angles. I never said Fentress was a star player. But he was a better tackler than Carter overall, despite having a fraction of the athletic ability. Carter, all season long, in pretty much every game he played, had multiple situations where he took terrible angles or whiffed on open field tackles.

Players first, then plays. Right? Make the system lesss complex and this team will improve overnight.

The scheme is not too complex! It's stupid and lacks common football sense. So the players are conflicted and confused between doing what they know is the way from years of playing football and the stupidity they are being coached to do. It's like a basketball coach telling his guys to be set shooters. That's what this defensive scheme does. Golden and Donut went to Seattle and Dallas as groupies and probably learned or did little in terms of scheming. Wouldn't be surprised if they spent more time taking pictures to hang on their walls.

When someone is athletic like he is and has bad angles... Most likely it's about adjusting to the speed of the game ie... More reps

Advertisement
Im taking a different approach this year and not expecting anything from any player. as i see it. this is the most talented depth golden has had in a while. at the same time this team is very unproven. only guys proven is Deon Bush, Jermaine Grace, and thats it for me. everybody else has to come ready to play. we will have some breakout players but we need this whole team to take over and start playing to their potential. its time. i tired of winning the offseason pre-ranking awards. that dont mean nothing.

Boom to this. He should have redshirted. Technically, last year would be his RS-Fr year and none of us would have been saying anything bad about the kid. Would have called it growing pains. But this year is do or die..No more excuses. Either he knows what to do in the scheme or he needs to sit and let someone else figure it out. (JJohnson/RJenkins)

Has a mediocore season at best, tests the NFL waters and comes back as a day three draft pick. Hires Drew. Goes to the combine, freaks people out and moves into the second round. Becomes Pro-Bowler in year two.

He isn't has fast as I thought he would be coming out of HS but he will test off the charts in pretty much everything else. So yeah, pretty much some D-coordinator will have him playing a "Kam Chanccelor" type role where all he has to do is destroy anything that comes within 5-7 yards of him, and catch the interception if its in his area and THATS IT. No thinking, no having to dissect anything. Let the FS do all of that.

**** Roy Williams made a living in the NFL with this type of thinking. Until the game caught up to him. But no one is going to mistake JCarter for Ed Reed so he will be fine. Worst case scenario, he will get a few checks playing special teams.

Advertisement
Look, Carter could bench 500 squat 500 and clean 500 while running a 4.3 in the 40. This scheme is not designed for individual talents, or cliques, or defense. It's designed for the inner WeFense players are supposed to have under Golden and Co.

Until Golden, Williams and D'Onofrio are far, far, FAR away from this program, we will continue to see guys not being coached up properly on that side of the ball while wasting immense potential.

Honestly you guys have to stop blaming the system. does the system put the players in the best Pos? No? but the players have to be on the same page as well. if i am running a cover 2 the safety picking in the backfield and misses the handoff from the CB its not scheme its player. if a DT or DE misses a sack when they have their hands around them its player not scheme. if a player takes bad angles, too slow, bad judgement its player not the scheme. our secondary communication is a mess and i blame paul williams on that. he is a horrible coach. Franklin is gone and Carrol is gone. lets see how improved our D line and WR's play in the same scheme.

I agree with the ray ray comparison, Carter is a physical freak no doubt. He just looks so stiff on the field. When he was chasing cook on that game winning td he just looked like he had no change of direction speed at all. Hopefully he erases all doubts this year, all we can do is hope. Or hope that someone steps up and takes over.

Advertisement
Back