Jamal Brunt hired to replace Huger

Problem2

All-American
Premium
Jamal Brunt began his association with University of Richmond basketball as director of operations in 2005, then moved to an assistant's position in 2007, and elevated to associate head coach in 2013.

His 10-year stay at UR ended on Friday, when he accepted a position on the Miami staff. Brunt, 34 and a Baltimore native, is a 2003 graduate of Randolph-Macon College, where he was a standout guard and an assistant coach.

"Jamal and I have become extremely close friends, and he's meant the world to me and to the program," said Chris Mooney, Richmond's coach for 10 years. "He has poured an incredible amount of energy and time into our players and our program."

On the Miami staff, led by coach Jim Larranaga, Brunt replaces Michael Huger, named Bowling Green's coach on Thursday.

Brunt said Larranaga, the former George Mason coach, "has always given me insight about the profession, so when this opportunity came about, it was one that seemed to fit and make a lot of sense.

"I'm forever grateful to coach Mooney for the opportunity he gave me. I was able to learn and grow under a guy who is a great person and a great coach. ... The relationships that I've been able to form with coaches, staff and players, they've been great."
http://m.richmond.com/sports/article_a169a14d-2e5a-587d-bb9a-674ed4dd4118.html?mode=jqm

Advertisement
Interesting hire.
Brunt comes from a very good coaching staff, especially with regards to guard play.
But it doesn't stop there.
Brunt played on what was a very strong Randolph-Macon program during the late 1990s/early2000.
A program that played in the postseason often under a very good coach in Mike Rhoades.
Rhoades went on to become an assistant coach for Shaka Smart at VCU, and is now the head coach at Rice (keep an eye on that coach as well).
Brunt has been around some good coaches, exposed to different systems, and is from the Baltimore area.
I like this hire.

After some careful investigating of his mentions (lol), I think Larranaga hit a homerun recruiting wise.

Norcross Basketball ‏@NorcrossHoops 5h5 hours ago
Congrats to Coach Jamal Brunt on the new position with Miami Hurricanes. @MiamiCoachJB always been one step ahead at identifying players!

NickMyles ‏@sfacoach 6h6 hours ago
@MiamiCoachJB congrats hard work always pays off. Always great to see men of character who represents the city of Baltimore with class.

AAU coaches

Maryland 3D ‏@Maryland3D_BC 6h6 hours ago
S/o to @MiamiCoachJB for the new position. Great seeing Baltimore guys take the next step. #ACC #Canes

Jack Meriwether ‏@CoachMeriwether 7h7 hours ago
Big congrats to @MiamiCoachJB on his new gig, one of the best in this business.

Kim English ‏@Englishscope24 15h15 hours ago
Congrats to my Baltimore brother @URCoachJB named new assistant at #Miami! Great hire by Jim Larranaga!

Exactly what we needed to close on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
Advertisement
After some careful investigating of his mentions (lol), I think Larranaga hit a homerun recruiting wise.

Congrats to Coach Jamal Brunt on the new position with Miami Hurricanes. @MiamiCoachJB always been one step ahead at identifying players!

@MiamiCoachJB congrats hard work always pays off. Always great to see men of character who represents the city of Baltimore with class.

AAU coaches

S/o to @MiamiCoachJB for the new position. Great seeing Baltimore guys take the next step. #ACC #Canes

Congrats to my Baltimore brother @URCoachJB named new assistant at #Miami! Great hire by Jim Larranaga!

solid work

AAU coaches

Seem to be respected by HS and AAU coaches now we need to see if it translates to 4 Star, 5 Star and One & Done Kids

Advertisement
Could he be Coach L's successor?

Coach L's successor shares the same last name....if we're lucky/smart.

2015-04-22 17.56.06.jpg

Last edited:
Jay has said time and time again that he wants to pursue a future in the NBA, not college.
That may be true but if he has head coaching aspirations (as most his age do) that's a handful of jobs that typically don't go to assistants and he's on the staff of the youngest head coach in the league. An ACC head coaching job wouldn't be easy to turn down- especially if Papi Larrañaga has the program in consistent good shape when he decides to step aside in a decade.

Of course that's true, and that's the rational way to look at things, but he's taken his name out of coaching searches, and said more than once he wants to stay in the NBA. We'll see what happens in the future, and if that future includes Miami.

Advertisement
Of course that's true, and that's the rational way to look at things, but he's taken his name out of coaching searches, and said more than once he wants to stay in the NBA. We'll see what happens in the future, and if that future includes Miami.

Agreed. I think George Mason just made a run at him too. All this said, Jimmy Larrañaga is actually younger than Leonard Hamilton so hopefully we won't even have to concern ourselves with this. We lucked out in getting a coach that looks 5 years older than he is so that probably limits interest from other programs willing to spend that could do worse than trying to steal him.

Advertisement
Back