Jalen Sami NT Grad Transfer in the Portal

Paranos

All-ACC
Jalen Sami is a 2x All PAC12 nose tackle/DL with a high motor who is a massive 6'6" 330lbs Grad Transfer in the portal from Colorado. Sami reminds me of a young coach Joe Salave'a being large soft spoken polynesian player that enjoys the grunt work inside. Sami needs to work on his S&C a little more along with his hand technique, but could be a good 1 yr contributor as a 6'6 330lbs NT. Transfering to Miami would also give this 6th year player , the chance to get a level technical coaching he never would have received at Colorado, which could then make him a 5th or 6th round draft prospect ( UM'S John Ford went in the 7th round)

His best two performances for 2022 were against USC and Oregon. Sami played at Colorado with a relative of Coach Salave'a, so Miami will definitely have the inside scoop on why/how he left Colorado.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
One of Sami's best games for the 2022 season, he is # 99. He does play with a high hat on several plays which causes him to lose leverage, but because he is so big and has a high motor he occasionally is able to fight through it and get back into the play.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement

With Malone trending to Ohio St. Whom else currently available in the portal is a better big bodied NT than Sami. Remember Miami only needs a 1 year rotational depth player.

Of all the players that entered the portal this year the NT from Kentucky that went to Auburn would have been perfect but his all of his classes wouldn't transfer, so we missed on him. An frankly we are in the final hours of portal options, so to land a 2 time All PAC12 honorable mention player that can also with both Polynesian recruiting and provide addt'l maturity on the dline; works for me.

I am a fan of the LaTech NT, but Sami is the better and more proven option in my opinion for UM program. Sami played against much better competition.

Go Canes

Last edited:
At this point, I say take. We need guys being immersed into the S&C off-season program. Take both the LT DT and Sami and close the book at DT. If someone elite becomes available and wants in (which odds are it won't happen), we cross that bridge when we get to it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I saw some Colorado fans saying this guy was expected to be in the 2 deep but not necessarily a starter.

So yeah.

Advertisement
So then which Nose Tackle/ 1Tech currently available in the portal would you prefer over Sami.

Go Canes

Anyone. Kids a sloppy 330 in his 6th season. The videos you posted shows how meh he is. Plays like he’s 250 lbs with terrible technique.

Maybe if we’re talking a HS prospect but not a 6th year guy.

Malone and Rose

Tywone Malone from Ole Miss is a good choice but I am thinking Ohio St is his final destination.

As for Rose from LA Tech he played crappy competition and when LA Tech played a P5 such as team Clemson & MIzzou. Where as Sami played against several Top 10 teams as was decent. An we need a space eater that win handle double teams at the P5 level. Sami does need to coached up, which Coach Joe can do.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back