Jalen Rivers turned heads at the UA game

I think we should move Scaife to his true guard position and play tackles at tackles and guards at guard. Give me your best center, best 2 tackles, and best 2 guards and build like that. Putting a kid at tackle when his future is clearly at guard is no good for anyone especially the kids development. If we have weaknesses cater the offense to hide them. Last year SMU's o line looked great because Lashlee was getting that ball out at one of the fastest rates in the country.

Advertisement
I think we should move Scaife to his true guard position and play tackles at tackles and guards at guard. Give me your best center, best 2 tackles, and best 2 guards and build like that. Putting a kid at tackle when his future is clearly at guard is no good for anyone especially the kids development. If we have weaknesses cater the offense to hide them. Last year SMU's o line looked great because Lashlee was getting that ball out at one of the fastest rates in the country.
Scaife IS our best option at tackle

Scaife IS our best option at tackle
I agree but he is no tackle. Let him develop at his true position and find a tackle. Part of the reason we dont recruit well is because kids know we arent developing guys at a very high level. By putting scaife outside imo you are hindering his development at the position he can make a career of which is guard. If you dont have a tackle find one but stop with the out of position bs. Scaife looks wayyyy better at guard than tackle.

Advertisement
Zion was definitely better at the end of the season than he was at the beginning. He must be intelligent because I don't think it was coaching.

That's a pretty low bar to be honest.

The kid had no business playing on that level....App State was actually more appropriate. That said, it would literally almost be impossible not to improve from where he started out.

We get a solid OL coach to go with Lashlee, that could do nothing but help him IMHO.

I agree but he is no tackle. Let him develop at his true position and find a tackle. Part of the reason we dont recruit well is because kids know we arent developing guys at a very high level. By putting scaife outside imo you are hindering his development at the position he can make a career of which is guard. If you dont have a tackle find one but stop with the out of position bs. Scaife looks wayyyy better at guard than tackle.
He doesn’t looks wayyy better at guard than tackle. He’s been very solid as a tackle. We don’t have another viable option to do that. If we get some transfer tackle then maybe. But we can’t project that we can right now. Imo we got more viable options at guard than we do at tackle which is why he should stay at tackle for now. Had he been a tackle game 1 we don’t lose vs uf.

Gaynor was one of the three best ol, why would you put him on the bench? You’re starting reed based off of?

Being one of Miami's three best OL is nothing to brag about. Bump him out of the starting lineup for size mostly, and center is Clark's natural position. We're simply too small with a right side of Gaynor, Clark, Scaife.

Advertisement
Being one of Miami's three best OL is nothing to brag about. Bump him out of the starting lineup for size mostly, and center is Clark's natural position. We're simply too small with a right side of Gaynor, Clark, Scaife.

Id rather have the better guy starting. Size isn’tthe issue , it’s technique and strength. Barry sucks

This is just one game, and I'm not saying Gaynor should be eliminated from the competition completely, but the notion that he's irreplaceable or that he performed at any kind of high level is farce imo. Not that Reed, or anyone else is any better, I'm just stating what I'd like to see happen.

Read on for a look at Miami’s top ten player grades from the Duke game.

NOTE: The minimum snap count to make this list is 19 snaps

10. OL Corey Gaynor: 64.7 grade, 78 snaps…PFF credited Gaynor with allowing five pressures with one sack while adding two penalties. Not the greatest numbers, but it is telling that Gaynor was the highest rated offensive player for the Hurricanes in the game.

That's a pretty low bar to be honest.

The kid had no business playing on that level....App State was actually more appropriate. That said, it would literally almost be impossible not to improve from where he started out.

We get a solid OL coach to go with Lashlee, that could do nothing but help him IMHO.
I'll admit I'm far from knowledgeable, but I did pay a lot more attention to O line performance in football last year and he is pretty athletic for his position. If he had a full redshirt year along with S&C, I think he'd impress.

Advertisement
I'll admit I'm far from knowledgeable, but I did pay a lot more attention to O line performance in football last year and he is pretty athletic for his position. If he had a full redshirt year along with S&C, I think he'd impress.

Hope so.

We see other institutions take what is the equivalent of a 1-2 star talent and make something solid of them, hope he can achieve the same.

He has zero football repertoire. He didn't look like he'd ever played football before last year. Sure, he's athletic, but he has forever and a day to go to become a competent football player. He absolutely needs to redshirt.

Zion's issues are mental and technical. For all the concern about his size and frame he wasn't getting bullied by power rushers. His anchor is solid and he competes.

He showed flashes of having a competent pass set towards the middle of the season. It's not a stretch to think he can become more consistent with that and cut down on the protection busts with stunts and blitzes.

Bottom line is we don't have a lineman on the roster with close to the level of traits Zion has besides AEG who's even more raw. Scaife and Rivers would be playing inside on any good program.

Advertisement
Love Rivers. He's destined for greatness if he stays fit and most likely starts in 2020 at some point.

But I'm so sick of gifting kids snaps and even starts because the other options stink, as opposed to kids working their asses off and developing themselves to the point they earn the spot.

We literally have no good tackle options. Scaife could be an All ACC Guard next year and we're making him stay outside due to recruiting failures. Zion was the conference matador, and 1 year of development won't turn him into a quality OT. So instead of finding a transfer, we're stuck relying on a 18/19 year old kid again.

Kehoe, Searels and Barry were our last 3 OL coaches. How depressing is that?

I don't wanna get my hopes up, but if we can land a quality tackle in the portal to man the left side and Rivers is legit ready to play he can slide to RT, kick scaife inside to left guard and let Zion get the RS year he should've had all along. Donaldson can be first off the bench at left guard or center.

Zion's issues are mental and technical. For all the concern about his size and frame he wasn't getting bullied by power rushers. His anchor is solid and he competes.

He showed flashes of having a competent pass set towards the middle of the season. It's not a stretch to think he can become more consistent with that and cut down on the protection busts with stunts and blitzes.

Bottom line is we don't have a lineman on the roster with close to the level of traits Zion has besides AEG who's even more raw. Scaife and Rivers would be playing inside on any good program.

Agreed. For half the season, Zion wasn't even timing the snap count. It's not his fault he started instead of redshirting. I expect strides on the mental side.

He showed tremendous athleticism (best in the unit by far) to go along with mental and physical toughness. He competed the whole season and never went in the tank. I was most encouraged by his pop. He has knock-back power in the run game despite his size. The block against Marvin Wilson that set up Deejay's TD stands out.

Advertisement
Back