Jalen Rivers commits to Miami

Advertisement

I’m not saying Rivers doesn’t as well. I’m saying Wynn’s height of 6’3” isn’t really relevant because while that height is usually less than ideal, he compensated with arm length.

I have no concerns about any aspect of Rivers’ height lol.

Advertisement
No I’m talking about the comment about his wingspan
I know. I’m saying my comment had nothing to do with Rivers’ length because he has ideal length, but rather solely in regards to the example of Wynn.

I'm def a proponent of the lean athletic guys at tackle (especially LT). But, in typical fashion this board is starting to become an echo chamber obsessed with a general concept/approach rather than actually assessing things on a case-by-case basis. A few laud the approach of finding long and lean tackle prospects with good feet and it eventually becomes the only thing some others care about.

If a guy has tackle skills/traits then he can play tackle. I don't think Rivers is a LT, but I do think he can be successful at RT.

I started thinking guard when I watched the Opening 1-on-1s. To be clear, it would not surprise me at all if he got it done at RT. He has the size, he can move enough and he has the IQ to make adjustments.

But it's dreaming season, and I'm imagining prototypes like Zion and Walker at tackle with Rivers mauling guys inside like Brandon Brooks.

I started thinking guard when I watched the Opening 1-on-1s. To be clear, it would not surprise me at all if he got it done at RT. He has the size, he can move enough and he has the IQ to make adjustments.

But it's dreaming season, and I'm imagining prototypes like Zion and Walker at tackle with Rivers mauling guys inside like Brandon Brooks.
Walker huh🤔... keep going

Advertisement
Per AI, word is that Barry sees Rivers as a tackle all the way and thinks that he has a chance on the left side
I said in my comment earlier in this thread a few pages back, Coach Barry has coached guys Rivers size at Tackle, Donovan Smith in Tampa Bay & he's their LT at 6'6 338lbs & Smith is not some big slow lumbering guy either he can move.

My comparison for Rivers is Daryl Williams out of Oklahoma, similar size, similiar ability, even similar ranking coming out of HS lol.

I like that Coach Barry will give him a shot at LT, him at that spot would an unmovable mountain, but I definitely think he can come in & play as a TF at RT. Plus the fact he's going to be an EE will pay huge dividends in getting him on the field early.

The fact he's a competitive weightlifter in HS means once he gets in our S&C program he's going to beast!

I said in my comment earlier in this thread a few pages back, Coach Barry has coached guys Rivers size at Tackle, Donovan Smith at Tampa Bay & he's their LT at 6'6 338lbs & Smith is not some big slow lumbering guy either he can move.

My comparison for Rivers is Daryl Williams out of Oklahoma, similar size, similiar ability, even similar ranking coming out of HS lol.

I like that Coach Barry will give him a shot at LT, him at that spot would an unmovable mountain, but I definitely think he can come in & play as a TF at RT. Plus the fact he's going to be an EE will pay huge dividends in getting him on the field early.

The fact he's a competitive weightlifter in HS means once he gets in our S&C program he's going to beast!
Preach brother. This kid is smart, athletic, long, and enrolling early. Usually the highly rated offensive lineman that played no games are the types of kid that start for 4 years. My guess is Rivers will be one of them as well.

I said in my comment earlier in this thread a few pages back, Coach Barry has coached guys Rivers size at Tackle, Donovan Smith in Tampa Bay & he's their LT at 6'6 338lbs & Smith is not some big slow lumbering guy either he can move.

A Phukn monster‼️

Advertisement
I’ve never seen him in person. Hard to tell in his clips.

I like Khristopher Love from Heritage as an interior guy. He has a nasty demeanor and is explosive. Tested at 315 pounds with 4.8 shuttle and 30 VJ. Top SPARQ of the local linemen.
Caught my eye at the Miami opening. Kid was battling out there with some good DL talent and held his own.

I'm even more excited about Rivers this morning. Such a monumental get to solidify our trenches. These are the battles we have needed to win for years, not the WR ones. Hope some other OL want to follow him. Chaney, Van Dyke, and Rivers could be the centerpieces to a future.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If I said Rivers = Jawaan Taylor...how far off the reservation is that?
Jawaan taylor had bad weight issues and had to lose a bunch of weight to get offers from Miami and uf. I dont Think rivers is anywhere close to having the amount of bad weight coming in as Taylor did at this time in terms of their recruitment.

Taylor if I’m not mistaken was a freshman starter at uf right? Maybe he can be that guy for us next year at one of the tackle spots.

Jawaan taylor had bad weight issues and had to lose a bunch of weight to get offers from Miami and uf. I dont Think rivers is anywhere close to having the amount of bad weight coming in as Taylor did at this time in terms of their recruitment.

Taylor if I’m not mistaken was a freshman starter at uf right? Maybe he can be that guy for us next year at one of the tackle spots.

Less so about his weight...just...tall, incredibly long armed, RT/G prospect with good feet. idk, just spit ballin here.

5AB32DCD-A124-452E-99C0-10DD4BCE0B3C.png

Advertisement
Back