Jalean Perkins (First offer)

Advertisement
Has pretty good footwork and hips. Would like to actually see him play the ball or cover someone. I guess teams ran really well against them last year.

Advertisement
The only knock I have on him is that he needs to get stronger but holy cow, his speed is amazing. Any kid that never gives up like that, you want. Great offer

Advertisement
Kid has probably never been taught how to run the 40
Knee-jerk reactions to anything more than 4.20 forty will always be made by some. Because, of course, HS Soph/Jr's should have the muscle memory/training, technique, and strength to run that fast. If not, they're a bust, and we must blame Goldie and NoDFrio for even wasting a moment looking at tape of them.

What you said makes too much sense for some people on this board to ******* believe it.

This 40 yard dash time is overrated. I never get the obsession with the stat.

1. You don't run it in pads (i.e. not football speed),

2. You usually don't run in a STRAIGHT line on a football field, and

3. Why 40 yards? Why not 32 yards? How often do you run that EXACT distance while starting from a starting position?

This is the same reason I don't care for 7 on 7 highlights (no pads, no rush etc.) because it is not real football. You can save the, the 40 yard dash is a good way to measure kids quickly or they use it in the combine arguments. Watch the actual film, if the kid can move and looks explosive...he is fast.

Advertisement

3. Why 40 yards? Why not 32 yards? How often do you run that EXACT distance while starting from a starting position?

This is the same reason I don't care for 7 on 7 highlights (no pads, no rush etc.) because it is not real football. You can save the, the 40 yard dash is a good way to measure kids quickly or they use it in the combine arguments. Watch the actual film, if the kid can move and looks explosive...he is fast.

Devin Hester is the perfect example. Some people just cant run the 40 well. I think most on here would have lost money if we had bet that Devin would have run anything worse then a 4.35 at the combine. And he ended up running a 4.45 or something of the sort. I was in shock. Thats still smokin' but for someone who to my knowledge has never been caught from behind or from the side, I would have thought he was a 4.28/4.35 guy.

The 40 is a great way to get you noticed FAST if you are at a combine or a camp. But its not really as relevant as most would make it out to be.

(Then again, Kermit Whitfield almost singlehandily won FSU the national title and most on here said all he would ever be is a track guy like is cousin Marvin Bracy because he had no hands. So who knows. Speed definitely comes in handy when you really need it. And I think Kermit was a legit 4.3 guy)

Devin Hester is the perfect example. Some people just cant run the 40 well. I think most on here would have lost money if we had bet that Devin would have run anything worse then a 4.35 at the combine. And he ended up running a 4.45 or something of the sort. I was in shock. Thats still smokin' but for someone who to my knowledge has never been caught from behind or from the side, I would have thought he was a 4.28/4.35 guy.

The 40 is a great way to get you noticed FAST if you are at a combine or a camp. But its not really as relevant as most would make it out to be.

(Then again, Kermit Whitfield almost singlehandily won FSU the national title and most on here said all he would ever be is a track guy like is cousin Marvin Bracy because he had no hands. So who knows. Speed definitely comes in handy when you really need it. And I think Kermit was a legit 4.3 guy)

Not towards you. I look at the 40 yard dash as a SIMPLE TEST for SIMPLE PEOPLE to evaluate. It is a clean test (sounds clean...40 yards) and is over quick. That is not to say that someone who runs a 40 yard dash FAST is not fast on a football field. I just think it is a simple test that people overuse (AL DAVIS) to make a simple point.

That's not really impressive... It seems like some of these prospects are coming in slower... What happened to running track in the off-season? Speed training?
He actaully does run track in the off season http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=3983651. Those were his numbers last year and nothing that would indicate to me he was some 4.4 4.5 player.

Go back and watch the film his tap is sped up a lot. Also a 4.65 laser time as a high school jr is not bad at all.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm with you on the 7 on 7, saw many great players at the one in vegas last week, but it's way the **** over rated. You can pick out the best kids in 5 minutes, but now do it in pads with someone hitting the **** out of you.

Advertisement
Back