Jake Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we play a full season or at least 10 games I would like to look into the portal for another QB. I like TVD but he won’t be ready next year, he missed out on a lot of reps by no spring. This time last year nobody thought D’Eriq would be in the portal, and with no real traction on a QB other than Jay Allen portal might be our only option.

Advertisement
We pressured Jake very hard to commit when all that social media hype blew up and he didnt do it. So I doubt it happens before the season starts, if at all. Only scenarios i can imagine are: 1) USC drops him which wont happen or 2) Miami offense blows up to the point King is in the Heisman race and Covid gets better by NSD.

If we are limited in spots id punt on QB bc of the portal. This might not be a popular opinion but I think Kosi will start in 2 years n TVD will start in 3.

Advertisement
I love TVD and really think he's our future and that’s why I think we go about our business this late in the game ( as QB’s go ) and figure we aren’t going to sign a QB this cycle.Then if you get Garcia,Stone,Brock or one kid of this caliber to flip you find a way to get him in.

I gotta believe if a kid like Stone or Allen came to Lashlee and Manny in November and said he was happy with what he saw and was ready to flip that they’d find a way to get him in even if it meant letting someone else go that is already committed.Yea that’s a ****** thing to do but you don’t pass On those type talents and if you go to the kid you’re going to cut and help him get into another school of his choice it softens the blow.You can even tell the kid go for a year then go into the portal if he still wants to be a Cane and they’d take him back..

Things like this are done every year at most P5 schools ( not the portal thing,cutting kids late to make room) .I don’t believe in cutting a kid a week before ESD or NSD but if you let him know in time and give him options it softens the blow..jmo.....but you don’t turn away talents of a top notch QB for any reason.

I love TVD and really think he's our future and that’s why I think we go about our business this late in the game ( as QB’s go ) and figure we aren’t going to sign a QB this cycle.Then if you get Garcia,Stone,Brock or one kid of this caliber to flip you find a way to get him in.

I gotta believe if a kid like Stone or Allen came to Lashlee and Manny in November and said he was happy with what he saw and was ready to flip that they’d find a way to get him in even if it meant letting someone else go that is already committed.Yea that’s a ****** thing to do but you don’t pass On those type talents and if you go to the kid you’re going to cut and help him get into another school of his choice it softens the blow.You can even tell the kid go for a year then go into the portal if he still wants to be a Cane and they’d take him back..

Things like this are done every year at most P5 schools ( not the portal thing,cutting kids late to make room) .I don’t believe in cutting a kid a week before ESD or NSD but if you let him know in time and give him options it softens the blow..jmo.....but you don’t turn away talents of a top notch QB for any reason.

QB every year no matter what. kids will transfer esp at QB so you never know when youre left with no capable QB

Advertisement
QB every year no matter what. kids will transfer esp at QB so you never know when youre left with no capable QB

Yea but at this late date,and I mean late for QBs , are you gonna take a QB just for the sake of saying you took a QB.A kid that you know has very little chance of ever seeing the field🤷‍♂️

We have what three kids with at least 2 years of eligibility left in the QB room? 3 kids that can all play at a P5 level if you had to put them in with TVD being the one with the least experience but most ability.So not taking a QB this cycle just for the sake of taking one at the expense of an extra Olineman or Lber seems like the logical direction to me but again this is JMO and I’m not trying to push my opinion off on anyone else.

Yea but at this late date,and I mean late for QBs , are you gonna take a QB just for the sake of saying you took a QB.A kid that you know has very little chance of ever seeing the field🤷‍♂️

We have what three kids with at least 2 years of eligibility left in the QB room? 3 kids that can all play at a P5 level if you had to put them in with TVD being the one with the least experience but most ability.So not taking a QB this cycle just for the sake of taking one at the expense of an extra Olineman or Lber seems like the logical direction to me but again this is JMO and I’m not trying to push my opinion off on anyone else.

i think two QBs are leaving after this year (2 of Perry, Martell, Matoocha)

**** that's very interesting. I think it's honestly in his best interest to do so, but it definitely hurts us. Milroe is possible, Vandagriff is a longshot, same with Stone. Braylon Braxton is still a plan B and maybe Jay Allen if he even wants to play football.

Pull a Gaytor move and just take Jay Allen for the recruiting class ranking.

i think two QBs are leaving after this year (2 of Perry, Martell, Matoocha)

I’m not so sure if all that’s left in the room is TVD that Perry and/or Matocha bolt.Martell can go he’s shown he can’t play QB anyway.I don’t think Matocha would leave and you can always hit the Portal next year when there’s actually a decent QB left in there.

I just don’t see the need to go get a kid you know will never play here.The only one I see possibly bolting would be Perry and I’m not so sure he would if the only QB in front of him would be TVD.

So if we stand pat this year and aren’t able to find a qualified kid going into next year you’d have TVD,one of Perry or Matocha,the portal,and you go get A top notch kid which would put us pretty much where we are this year because the advantage of being in the system for a year kind of goes away because a freshman QB is not going to get any reps because of the situation we are dealing with now.King will get 80-85% Of the snaps TVD gets the rest because you have to get him ready In case of emergency and Perry and/or Matocha run the scout team.

If you find a top QB next year and he’s an EE he’d essentially be in the exact same position he’d be in this year AND you’d have that extra OL, LBer,whatever that you wouldn’t have had because you wasted a scholly on a kid that will never play here.

Again this is just my feeling and that is yes you need to take s QB every cycle If possible if a qualified kid is there BUT we didn’t or weren’t able to get a kid that would battle for playing time So you use that scholly on A position of need and sign a portal guy and a freshman stud next year because if things go the way we think they will with Lashlee running the show there should be no shortage of top QB’s trying to get in here.

I’m just not for wasting a scholarship just to say you I took a QB this year because I have to get one every year when there are places we could use another good player.if we were Bama or LSU or Clemson or Taint I’d say ok grab one cause I’m 3-4 deep everywhere but we aren’t there yet so we can’t afford to just grab a kid just because ..

Advertisement
There's been no visits & none of the QB's have been able to see what our offense will look like, therefore it's a tougher sell.

And because South FL doesn't produce enough good QB's every year, we're stuck in the wind not having one in our backyard to fall back on like other regions do.

We also dragged our feet with early offers to QB's, obviously no one expected for a Global pandemic to breakout & cancel all traveling for months at a time, but had we been a little more aggressive earlier in the year with more offers we'd probably have a QB by now.

LCE, I understand how it's ideal to get a QB every year - but with the high level of recruits we have a really good chance of landing with very few spots left - do we REALLY need a QB this year?

And let's say our offense puts on a show this season - everyone's flying around - our throwing game resembles Baron Von Richthofen's Flying Circus - the running game is busting through thinner, more tired, confused defenses - and everyone's clearly having fun - that some top QB may get a look at that, and say, "That is ME!" ?

And you have any idea on who may be so inclined? Maybe even a surprise QB - our recruiting has been on Full Stealth Mode lately - and it's been one pleasant surprise after another . . . ?

I'm not on the Garcia train, but you have to take a qb every class. Whether via transfer or kicking the tires on a project. You gotta bring one in.

Let's say TVD isn't next Andrew Luck. Cool. What happens if he gets injured or in trouble and cant play?

We going w Peyton? Well that's if hes still here and hasn't transferred.

You gotta build some kind of depth at the position.

If we don't get Garcia I hope they have a plan for how they'll add another qb before next season.

Advertisement
Would be ok with no QB in the 21 class, use that scholarship on another position and take 2 QBs in 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back