Jake Garcia gets a visit from Lashlee

Greg Biggins(Best insider on the west coast):

Miami would probably be his top choice if he were to de-commit but I don't see that happening right now. Miami was his runner-up before he committed to SC and with Moss committing to SC, I'm sure there are Cane fans hopeful they can flip him but he's locked in and has a very good relationship with Graham Harrell and Clay Helton.

Advertisement
Greg Biggins(Best insider on the west coast):

Miami would probably be his top choice if he were to de-commit but I don't see that happening right now. Miami was his runner-up before he committed to SC and with Moss committing to SC, I'm sure there are Cane fans hopeful they can flip him but he's locked in and has a very good relationship with Graham Harrell and Clay Helton.
Honestly think he’ll flip if our offense has a great season and puts up big numbers.

He is the opposite of Sitkowski to me. Better player than physical talent.

I don't see five-star tools with Garcia, so I agree that hype is too rich. But he's been a winning player at a city public school and looks college-ready as a passer (70% completion). I only saw one full game against Buchanan on ESPNU but he played well and threw 3 TDs in the first half.

The more realistic "bad comp" would be Kevin Olsen, IMO. No idea on Garcia's character but they have similar profiles.
Jake Browning is his ceiling IMO.

Advertisement
Jake Browning is his ceiling IMO.
I’ve hesitated to say anything negative because whenever there’s good momentum some yuck-yuck mope boy always has to come through and pour urine on everyone’s face. I don’t like that porster and I don’t want to be that porster, so I held my tongue.

But I am not in love with Garcia. He could become an elite quarterback, his arm is insane, but he will benefit from sitting for awhile regardless. He seems like the type of kid that quietly ends up a high 4* in the final rankings because the potential that was expected to materialize by season’s end never materializes.

That’s where the Sitz comparisons come from, absurd though they may be, as Art’s post-junior year rating was based purely on Size+Frame+Athleticism+IMG = 4-5* P5 QB. Now I can’t remember a kid who fell so freakishly far from grace in about 6 weeks time, but the system corrected and he was properly benched (I mean re-evaluated).

Garcia is a much, much better prospect than the Sitzuation — by that I mean he is actually a QB prospect and not a TE prospect with a QB designation. In reality Jake may (MAY) be more of a routine 4* and not a high 5*. If he was the latter then USC isn’t even dreaming of jeopardizing his commitment by taking Moss.

EDIT: Jacob Eason comes to mind. Killer arm but doesn’t quite put everything together.

Last edited:
I know he played awful against us but he sort of reminds me of Ian book from Notre dame. Not particularly great at anything but good at everything

Advertisement
Sounds like Miami is a good fit for him; he could sit behind TVD for 2-3 years and develop into a great QB with Lashlee as the OC.

Browning threw for 12,296yds 94TD's at 64% for his career with a 39-15 record including 3 straight 10 win seasons.
Consistently came up short in the largest moments and seemingly held Washington from taking that next step though too. It’s miles ahead it’s what we’ve had here, don’t get me wrong. But Browning also had major arm strength questions (more post injury too).

Brinson chiming in now on Twitter in coordination with AR82.

Never seen anything like that.

Advertisement
I've been vocal about not being too crazy about Garcia either.

IMO browning is his ceiling, meaning if he's as good as his rating (which I believe is higher than it should be) & is developed properly that he can be a good college QB that can win you some games with a strong defense & supporting cast around him.

But I'm not overly impressed with him, but I fully admit I'm very biased/jaded when it comes to Southern Cali QB's (Kaaya notwithstanding), they typically have a high bust rate & there's always a question about mental toughness.

Not saying that applies to Garcia because there's no way to know that & as I've stated for a while I'm very high on TX or AZ QB's, I always prefer QB's from there because they hit the ground running playing in high octane offenses & have a quick transition rate in college football.

Does that mean I think every Southern Cali QB sucks, no not at all. So before anyone replies to me with the list of Southern Cali QB's that have had success, trust me I already know & that's not the argument I'm making lol.

But I agree that Garcia will need a Redshirt before he should hit the field, I don't see a kid that will be ready to compete day 1 vs ACC Defenses, I would prefer we sign a kid that can potentially play as a TF in order to compete with TVD & bring about the best results.

With all that said, I trust Coach Lashlee's QB evals better than my own, so if he wants Garcia then I got no problem with it & hope he'll work out if we get him.
Who would be your top 3 realistic QB targets?

BTW: Great comp on Browning. We’d surround him with better players, Id hope, especially at TE and RB.

If I could have my pick, Nussmeier is my guy.

Nevertheless, I’m on the Garcia train, as it may be our best shot at a top shelf kid. Let’s get him sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I understand all of the reservations on Garcia, and I tend to usually have hesitations when it comes to highly rated SoCal QBs in general as awful as that sounds but .....

Beggars cant be choosers. We take Garcia and the pub/momentum it gives us 25/8 with a smile at this point because our QB board is lacking bigtime. I know no one said otherwise but I pray they keep pressing him and can show him while being “the man” here is a better opportunity than staying with SC with a guy who is better most consider better you are.

Advertisement
Browning was nothing special for sure. But that system Washington ran didn’t do him any favors.

Advertisement
Back