Off-Topic Jail/Prison

Advertisement
Im going off my cousins words. Hes been out 5 months after a 22 year sentence.

He told me prison does absolutely nothing to change a person and in alot of cases makes them more violent.
Exactly why we need change for our penal system. To do that we would need to change a lot of things AND as a country we would have to have a change of heart. Either America needs to come right out and say what a lot of Americans actually believe to be true, people of color are simply more criminal than non people of color OR there needs to be an accounting as to how there is such a disparity in who goes to prison.

The concept of prison is as divisive as it is interesting. Your viewpoint on it depends on whether you think prisons are for punishment OR for rehabilitation.

If you think it's for punishment, then our prisons are performing as designed. They're not the worst facilities in the world, BUT they're considered to be the worst in the G-7 nations. The downside of this is that the USA also has the highest recidivism rate in the world ( 44% of criminals released RETURN before their 1st year out of prison, an astounding 76.6% after 5 years )

If you think it's for rehabilitation, then our prisons grossly miss the mark as shown by having the world's highest rate of recidivism. So who has the least amount of returning criminals? Norway at 20%. China claims that their rate is 6% BUT we should know..:****:. I also accept the fact that some criminals simply CANNOT be rehabilitated.

So you have to ask yourself, which one serves your and society's best interests.... having criminals punished or rehabilitated? The answer to that is extremely important because as we all know, the vast majority of those in prison will get out someday.
IMO ideally it’s both. People aren’t going to learn without punishment/consequences (just like your kids will act out and not respect u if u don’t punish them for bad deeds). But ultimately u want rehabilitation… otherwise unless they are on death row or life without parole, what’s the point

Exactly why we need change for our penal system. To do that we would need to change a lot of things AND as a country we would have to have a change of heart. Either America needs to come right out and say what a lot of Americans actually believe to be true, people of color are simply more criminal than non people of color OR there needs to be an accounting as to how there is such a disparity in who goes to prison.
U are right… there needs to be change. Society in general needs to stop with the softness and guilt towards criminals. Obviously, as others mentioned… for one time minor offenders and non violent crimes… I say reduced sentences or let ‘em out early.

Thats a tricky topic as im sure there are things that attribute to black people committing more violent crime.

You cant let people off because the color of their skin. Felons need to be locked up and honestly the tvs, drugs, tablets should all be removed and the prisoners should be forced to provide a service to society.

Advertisement
Thats a tricky topic as im sure there are things that attribute to black people committing more violent crime.

You cant let people off because the color of their skin. Felons need to be locked up and honestly the tvs, drugs, tablets should all be removed and the prisoners should be forced to provide a service to society.

Do you think black people or other people of color are more violent than non people of color? Respectfully, history tells a different story.

Im going off my cousins words. Hes been out 5 months after a 22 year sentence.

He told me prison does absolutely nothing to change a person and in alot of cases makes them more violent.

I can imagine that being locked up all day and night with a bunch of **** rustlers would tend to make you very violent.

The things hes told me he had to do to people is insane. His last year in prison he spent 9 months out of 12 in the hole.

We're better than this.

There are more effective ways to eliminate crime.

In view of how much crime costs this nation, ineffective prisons etc. Better ways must be found because this is far too costly.

The only thing that we do know with certainty is, what we are doing now is NOT working

Advertisement
We're better than this.

There are more effective ways to eliminate crime.

In view of how much crime costs this nation, ineffective prisons etc. Better ways must be found because this is far too costly.

The only thing that we do know with certainty is, what we are doing now is NOT working
Reduce non violent crime and drug punishment.

Start using the death penalty on rape, murder, child molestation, incest.

Drastically increased violent crime punishment works to curb violent crime.

My cousin was in closed custody for 22 years and is a huge death penalty advocate. Kind of blew me away.

Do you think black people or other people of color are more violent than non people of color? Respectfully, history tells a different story.
What does that have to do with anything? Violent people and child predators can be of any color. Lock em all up! Doesn't matter the race, you do it based on the crime.

We shouldn't be trying to fit quotas into prisons. Just put the really bad guys in there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back