Jaelan Phillips to the Dolphins?

anandris

Recruit
Advertisement
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...up-for-qb-bears-saints-target-qbs-in-round-2/

This is the 3rd mock draft I've seen today that has the Fins taking Phillips at 18. His good Pro Day has catapulted him into the top 20 range. Dolphins fans on the board, would you be happy with Jaelan as our 18th pick, or does someone like Najee, Micah Parsons, or even Rosseau get your jimmies more rustled.
Even before the Pro Day I liked Phillips to us. We need an edge rusher and he has all the tools you look for at the next level and he’s very good against the run. What finally sells it for me is his relentless motor. Coach Flo is great at developing talent and he would be an excellent outside rusher for us that we can move around. His athleticism, size, and strength package is top notch. Plus he has an injury history and we seem to love those types of players. 😂😂😂

Even before the Pro Day I liked Phillips to us. We need an edge rusher and he has all the tools you look for at the next level and he’s very good against the run. What finally sells it for me is his relentless motor. Coach Flo is great at developing talent and he would be an excellent outside rusher for us that we can move around. His athleticism, size, and strength package is top notch. Plus he has an injury history and we seem to love those types of players. 😂😂😂
Agree with everything you said, so you'd take Phillips over Rousseau? I'm still torn on that cause Rousseau's potential is higher and his stock sliding cause of a "bad" pro day and opting out is BS to me. We've all seen up close what he can do, we have a better perspective than these so called "experts" that have watched probably 5 minutes of tape.

I think Rosseau is more of a scheme fit because I think he would be a good 3-4 defensive end. I'm not too sure if he is twitchy enough to be an elite NFL 4-3 defensive end. If we were a 4-3 defensive than I believe J. Phillips would have more value for us.

Agree with everything you said, so you'd take Phillips over Rousseau? I'm still torn on that cause Rousseau's potential is higher and his stock sliding cause of a "bad" pro day and opting out is BS to me. We've all seen up close what he can do, we have a better perspective than these so called "experts" that have watched probably 5 minutes of tape.
He didn't have a bad pro day. He just didn't run a 4.5 40 or have a 50" vertical. What people need to realize about GR is that he has length that can not be coached. He has smarts that gets him in a position to use his length. Football is so much more than 40 times and pure athleticism. Does anyone here think Ted Hendricks ran a 4.5 40?

I know JP tested well, but there's no way I'd take him over GR. That's just me.

Advertisement
I would be happy with JP at 18 and I take him all day over Greg if his medicals check out.

JP is athletic enough to play OLB for the 3-4 and be a freak at it.
Exactly. Phillips is more scheme versatile as he has experience in both 4-3 and 3-4. Also has the athleticism to do both.

Greg’s best fit to me is a 3-4 DE, and also doesn’t necessarily provide the pass rush that is valued at the 18th pick.

His length, size and motor are great tools, but you still gotta complete the project.

Advertisement
Exactly. Phillips is more scheme versatile as he has experience in both 4-3 and 3-4. Also has the athleticism to do both.

Greg’s best fit to me is a 3-4 DE, and also doesn’t necessarily provide the pass rush that is valued at the 18th pick.

His length, size and motor are great tools, but you still gotta complete the project.
Help me out here. You say he doesn't provide the pass rush at 18, but yet he got 15.5 sacks in 2019. It's not all about 40 times and testing numbers.

Help me out here. You say he doesn't provide the pass rush at 18, but yet he got 15.5 sacks in 2019. It's not all about 40 times and testing numbers.
You’re correct, it’s not. It’s about projection. Just because someone has production in college doesn’t mean it immediately translates to the NFL.

Tackles in the NFL are much better than the ones in Tallahassee. You also have to ask if all the sacks he got by lining up in 0-tech are able to be recreated.

Im high on Greg and think he can do well, but Jaelan projects to have a more immediate impact which makes him more valuable.

Advertisement
He didn't have a bad pro day. He just didn't run a 4.5 40 or have a 50" vertical. What people need to realize about GR is that he has length that can not be coached. He has smarts that gets him in a position to use his length. Football is so much more than 40 times and pure athleticism. Does anyone here think Ted Hendricks ran a 4.5 40?

I know JP tested well, but there's no way I'd take him over GR. That's just me.
100% Watch their films back to back and then tell me GR isn't better.

You’re correct, it’s not. It’s about projection. Just because someone has production in college doesn’t mean it immediately translates to the NFL.

Tackles in the NFL are much better than the ones in Tallahassee. You also have to ask if all the sacks he got by lining up in 0-tech are able to be recreated.

Im high on Greg and think he can do well, but Jaelan projects to have a more immediate impact which makes him more valuable.
Then explain how he didn't have a bigger impact here.

Don't get me wrong, JP will do very well in the NFL, and he deserves to be a 1st round pick. That being said, I'd take GR over him because of his length, skillset, and feel for the pocket he's reaching into to grab the QB.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...up-for-qb-bears-saints-target-qbs-in-round-2/

This is the 3rd mock draft I've seen today that has the Fins taking Phillips at 18. His good Pro Day has catapulted him into the top 20 range. Dolphins fans on the board, would you be happy with Jaelan as our 18th pick, or does someone like Najee, Micah Parsons, or even Rosseau get your jimmies more rustled.
It would be nice since I’m a diehard Dolphins and Canes fan but I think him Rosseau will be gone by the 16th pick

Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, JP will do very well in the NFL, and he deserves to be a 1st round pick. That being said, I'd take GR over him because of his length, skillset, and feel for the pocket he's reaching into to grab the QB.
45 tackles, 15.5 TFLs, 8 sacks, 1 interception, and 3 pass deflections in 10 (TEN) games is impactful. Not many DEs in the country are that impactful actually. If it wasnt a Covid shortened season, and he was shacking rust off the first few games, JP was easily on pace for 13-15 sack season.

Pretty clear the first few games he was shaking rust off from not playing for like two years. Then he started dominating.

I think he had a pretty decent impact here, he was 2nd-team All-American. It was easy to see that he got much better as the season went on because he was shaking the rust off.

I’m not gonna criticize you for preferring Rousseau, different people have different preferences. I will say that Jaelan’s athleticism and experience in two schemes makes him an ideal fit for the Dolphins. He can play standing up, or in 3/4 point stance.

There’s a reason he’s DE1 on multiple draft boards even with concussion history.

I think he had a pretty decent impact here, he was 2nd-team All-American. It was easy to see that he got much better as the season went on because he was shaking the rust off.

I’m not gonna criticize you for preferring Rousseau, different people have different preferences. I will say that Jaelan’s athleticism and experience in two schemes makes him an ideal fit for the Dolphins. He can play standing up, or in 3/4 point stance.

There’s a reason he’s DE1 on multiple draft boards even with concussion history.
I think they are both can't miss players. Maybe one would look better in a certain system, while the other would do better in another. I just personally feel GR has something you can't teach. Length. Never underestimate a guy that can reach into the pocket from his stance and reach the QB. ;)

Advertisement
Back