Jaelan Phillips "I Did Not Know what Cover 3 was"

It’s absolutely nothing like your WR and OL comparison
and i am fairly certain a lot wide receivers are required to understand that due to a lot of offenses being rhythm and time based. anyone playing in a west coast offense has to understand every step that everyone takes.

Advertisement
belichick and saban require all of their defenders to know what the **** is going on on every single play.

i'd prefer our defense to know that too. and its not even rocket science like with the two aforementioned, its ******* cover 3. it would help to stop looking like crap.

I believe what he meant was he didn't know what the outside backers do in Cover 3, not that he'd never even heard the term. Honestly, if he never even heard the team or knew what it meant, that's on him. I knew what Cover 3 was when I was 11.

belichick and saban require all of their defenders to know what the **** is going on on every single play.

i'd prefer our defense to know that too. and its not even rocket science like with the two aforementioned, its ******* cover 3. it would help to stop looking like crap.

Personally I'd rather our guys know how to tackle vs our defensive ends knowing responsibilities of outside backers in Cover 3, but I guess I'm weird. I think running, catching, blocking, and tackling would help stop looking like crap far more than a rush end knowing what to do in Cover 3 would.

This is another indictment of Chris Grier. An aspiring pro football player should know wtf cover 3 means.

Advertisement
They're out for blood, and rightfully so. But the vast majority here have no idea any of the actual nuances of the game. They just get drunk on Saturdays and if we lose, we suck and everyone should be fired. But as soon as I saw this on Twitter I knew it'd be a 10 page mind-numbing thread here.
Not disagreeing with your take, but jokes aside…I never played football and I know what cover 3 is. So I really hope his quote was taken out of context…like he knows what cover 3 is, but didnt REALLY understand the nuances of it and how his new position (OLB) fits in that type of defense.

Advertisement
Only on CIS would a porster admit that he's ok with a defensive player not knowing what cover 3 is. Really, you can't make this **** up. What's worse Phillips not knowing or the porster agreeing that it's ok that Phillips doesn't know.

Advertisement
Phillips made himself look bad with that comment. Like **** bro you ain’t never seen the shît on the game at least
Phillips is turning out to be a bust anyways. Flat track bully that beat up on Coastal OL. Look at Parsons, Rosseau and the Baltimore rookie end creating an instant impact while Phillips takes 6 seconds to get past an OT. Dude coasted off his size and now has no idea what's going on.

They're out for blood, and rightfully so. But the vast majority here have no idea any of the actual nuances of the game. They just get drunk on Saturdays and if we lose, we suck and everyone should be fired. But as soon as I saw this on Twitter I knew it'd be a 10 page mind-numbing thread here.
nuances? Let’s just start by winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Should help with the little nuances.

Then score more than the other side. I may be a step ahead of the staff.

Advertisement
He knows what it is now so someone thought to explain it to him. Which means he probably does need to know it.

And I've never played d-line before but I would imagine I would want to know what the coverage behind me is set up as. It would be dumb to just blindly rush the QB without knowing how the guys the QB is passing to are covered.

and i am fairly certain a lot wide receivers are required to understand that due to a lot of offenses being rhythm and time based. anyone playing in a west coast offense has to understand every step that everyone takes.
Stop it....you're not certain. Gronk was just on tv saying he doesnt even watch film. When you're so physically gifted, you dont NEED to know everything about every postion. That is the operative word here. Did he NEED to know what the OLB coverage responsibility is to do his job last season? No, he didn't

You're using specious reasoning by throwing Belichick and Saban out there and assuming you know exactly what they require. The one thing we do know about Belichick is he's famous for telling his guys to "Do your job". That implies do what you're supposed and not worry about anyone else's responsibilities

Advertisement
Back