Jaelan Phillips: ESPN feature story

Advertisement
Jaelan Phillips had something to say to the Miami defense before the Florida State game last Saturday, so he stood up, looked out at his teammates and coaches and let himself go.

He spoke forcefully and emotionally. This team saved him, made him believe in himself again, made him believe in everything he knew he could be back when he was one of the nation's top recruits in 2017. He told them how grateful he felt to be a part of this rivalry game, how humbled he felt, because a year ago, he still had no idea whether he would ever play again.

The players listened quietly, moved in ways they never expected. Teammate Bubba Bolden, one of his closest friends on the team, could especially relate given he had transferred himself, and had come back from a leg injury. "He hit the point I wanted to hit, but I never said it," Bolden said. "The way he said it, the passion he came with, you could tell he meant it. We're both blessed to have a second chance at playing football."

Jaelan Phillips had something to say to the Miami defense before the Florida State game last Saturday, so he stood up, looked out at his teammates and coaches and let himself go.

He spoke forcefully and emotionally. This team saved him, made him believe in himself again, made him believe in everything he knew he could be back when he was one of the nation's top recruits in 2017. He told them how grateful he felt to be a part of this rivalry game, how humbled he felt, because a year ago, he still had no idea whether he would ever play again.

The players listened quietly, moved in ways they never expected. Teammate Bubba Bolden, one of his closest friends on the team, could especially relate given he had transferred himself, and had come back from a leg injury. "He hit the point I wanted to hit, but I never said it," Bolden said. "The way he said it, the passion he came with, you could tell he meant it. We're both blessed to have a second chance at playing football."
Tuff!!!

Advertisement
Great read. He and BB are the real deal. Enjoy them, folks, we'll only have them for this year
It's still early but I could see Phillips coming back. He's not going to have the background pressure to leave that others have to contend with. Combine that with a checkered injury history and only 10 college games played so far, he'd be a risky draft choice.

“When your best players practice and play as hard as he does, it sets a standard," Miami defensive coordinator Blake Baker said. "That's something that hasn't necessarily been the case around here, especially among the older players."

Until we get our culture right, we’ll continue to perennially underachieve. Players like King and Phillips are leading by example with their work ethic this season and you can see it permeating throughout the team, hopefully we can maintain that once they’re gone.

“When your best players practice and play as hard as he does, it sets a standard," Miami defensive coordinator Blake Baker said. "That's something that hasn't necessarily been the case around here, especially among the older players."

Until we get our culture right, we’ll continue to perennially underachieve. Players like King and Phillips are leading by example with their work ethic this season and you can see it permeating throughout the team, hopefully we can maintain that once they’re gone.
Very curious why we cant grow that internally, seems like we always have to say that or fill that in with transfers, same with WR last year, kid comes from buffalo and he is leader first day even with a bunch of returning guys.. Can you change a culture with consistent one year rentals?

Advertisement
Very curious why we cant grow that internally, seems like we always have to say that or fill that in with transfers, same with WR last year, kid comes from buffalo and he is leader first day even with a bunch of returning guys.. Can you change a culture with consistent one year rentals?
It comes from years of calling ourselves NFLU. It attract recruits with a mercenary mindset and a different set of expectations.

These was a time when there was a saying "It's a Canes thing. They wouldn't understand". That was more than a slogan but a statement about the culture. That was Miami's advantage. The program has to make that real again to make the advantage sustainable.

There will still be those that leave early. But rather than coast or opt out of bowl games, they'll play hard up to the end because there is something else they're playing for and they wouldn't want to be the one to let their mates down.

Advertisement
This 1000%. You need "glue guys". Your Hunter Renfrows etc. in addition to your all-stars. It's ideal if they're both in the same player like Jaelan or Ed Reed.

Yeah I read that this morning and hoped someone would post it. (sorry, wasnt sure how to do it myself) EXCELLENT read. Makes you like the kid even more. Lets enjoy him for 9 more games because its a wrap for him after this year. It cant hurt our DE recruiting to have potentially 2 DEs go 1st round can it? (Rousseau and Phillips) lol.

Advertisement
We finally bringing in guys with that chip on their shoulders factor... that's what helps you win games and especially against a team like Clemson.. I say we roll just because of the attitude our team is showing and it's paying off..💯🚫🧢💖

Yeah I read that this morning and hoped someone would post it. (sorry, wasnt sure how to do it myself) EXCELLENT read. Makes you like the kid even more. Lets enjoy him for 9 more games because its a wrap for him after this year. It cant hurt our DE recruiting to have potentially 2 DEs go 1st round can it? (Rousseau and Phillips) lol.
Considering we got shemar Stewart and Kenyatta Jackson coming down the pipe we could use any good press we can get

Advertisement
Back