Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

I love everything about this kid except for the fact that he can't throw an accurate ball.

His ceiling is Vince Young and his floor is Torrance Gibson. Accuracy and the ability to read a defence will determine whether he's destined to play on Sundays or at JUCO.

Advertisement
I love everything about this kid except for the fact that he can't throw an accurate ball.

His ceiling is Vince Young and his floor is Torrance Gibson. Accuracy and the ability to read a defence will determine whether he's destined to play on Sundays or at JUCO.

Why would he go juco.

Some other highlights of his interview:

The Hurricanes are believed to be the team to beat heading into Brown's announcement and that's in large part because Brown is set to spend some time this upcoming weekend walking around Coral Gables.

"I’m just going out there to see the city and enjoy it. Get a feel for the festivities and have a little fun," Brown explained. "I have been there for camps and stuff like that, but you want to go to a place where, outside of football, you can stay there and live there for the rest of your life."

Brown will be traveling down to Miami with Buford (Ga.) three-star wide receiver Isaiah Bond. The two are hoping to run into a pair of UM early enrollees in edge rusher Thomas Davis and quarterback Jake Garcia as Brown is friends with the two.

"Thomas is loving it. Jake is too. They are both just telling me all about The U. I will probably get up with those two guys when I'm there," Brown said.

NCAA rules will prohibit Brown from interacting face-to-face with any of the Hurricanes' coaches, but he will likely be on the phone at some point on Saturday or Sunday with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who has made it very clear that he wants Brown.

"He’s pitching me on what he has done with dual threat quarterbacks in the past," Brown said. "You know Cam Newton and guys like that. Really, he wants to build a team around my strengths – and that’s what I want. I want to have all my strengths exposed so I can reach the next level. Obviously that’s my dream, to go to the NFL."

"I feel like my game is maybe just a third of where I could compete at," Brown said. "I just got to get better consistency wise and mechanically wise. Get my reps. It’s all about repetition. What you put in is what you get out, so I’m just grinding it out and trying to be a better player. When I got to the next level, I can’t wait to be in that environment where they are trying to make me a better quarterback."

He says he knows where he wants to go and wants to get the process over so he can concentrate on his own senior season.

Some other highlights of his interview:

The Hurricanes are believed to be the team to beat heading into Brown's announcement and that's in large part because Brown is set to spend some time this upcoming weekend walking around Coral Gables.

"I’m just going out there to see the city and enjoy it. Get a feel for the festivities and have a little fun," Brown explained. "I have been there for camps and stuff like that, but you want to go to a place where, outside of football, you can stay there and live there for the rest of your life."

Brown will be traveling down to Miami with Buford (Ga.) three-star wide receiver Isaiah Bond. The two are hoping to run into a pair of UM early enrollees in edge rusher Thomas Davis and quarterback Jake Garcia as Brown is friends with the two.

"Thomas is loving it. Jake is too. They are both just telling me all about The U. I will probably get up with those two guys when I'm there," Brown said.

NCAA rules will prohibit Brown from interacting face-to-face with any of the Hurricanes' coaches, but he will likely be on the phone at some point on Saturday or Sunday with offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who has made it very clear that he wants Brown.

"He’s pitching me on what he has done with dual threat quarterbacks in the past," Brown said. "You know Cam Newton and guys like that. Really, he wants to build a team around my strengths – and that’s what I want. I want to have all my strengths exposed so I can reach the next level. Obviously that’s my dream, to go to the NFL."

"I feel like my game is maybe just a third of where I could compete at," Brown said. "I just got to get better consistency wise and mechanically wise. Get my reps. It’s all about repetition. What you put in is what you get out, so I’m just grinding it out and trying to be a better player. When I got to the next level, I can’t wait to be in that environment where they are trying to make me a better quarterback."

He says he knows where he wants to go and wants to get the process over so he can concentrate on his own senior season.
Love the way he carries himself. Great head on his shoulders and wants to compete and get better. Not every one of these high ranked kids gives you that mentality.

Advertisement
he wants to build a team around my strengths – and that’s what I want. I want to have all my strengths exposed so I can reach the next level. Obviously that’s my dream, to go to the NFL."

After years of OCs who wanted to fit players into their offense, it's refreshing to have an OC who seemingly wants to design his offence around his players. Whether or not it works out, it's the right mindset.

Advertisement
Why would he go juco.
People take things literally on the site. Basically in my opinion its boom or bust.

The kid says and does all the right things, you can tell he's putting in the work and wants to be great.
But he has doubters for a reason. he's not a polished accurate QB. If he's able to improve his accuracy and read a D he's got Vince Young program-changing potential with his skills and moxie.

If he isn't able to improve his accuracy and go through his progressions he's just a really talented high school athlete who was playing QB. He'll end up at Juco like TG did or a lower-level school.

It's not a knock on the kid. He clearly has the talent and wants to succeed. I just don't think anyone truly knows which way he goes. But if he can't become accurate I don't think he'll beat out the other kids we've got in the room.

Last edited:
People take things literally on the site. Basically in my opinion is boom or bust.

The kid say and does all the right things, you can tell he's putting in the work and wants to be great.
But he has doubters for a reason. he's not a polished accurate QB. If he's able to improve his accuracy and read a D he's got Vince Young program-changing potential with his skills and moxie.

If he isn't able to improve his accuracy and go through his progressions he's just a really talented high school athlete who was playing QB. He'll end up at Juco like TG did or a lower-level school.

It's not a knock on the kid. He clearly has the talent and wants to succeed. I just don't think anyone truly knows which way he goes. But if he can't become accurate I don't think he'll beat out the other kids we've got in the room.
Exactly. But this is precisely the reason why you take him this year, as you have TVD and Garcia on deck. Develop him for 2-3 years and see what happens. If he is a bust, oh well. But if he is a boom, then the sky is the limit in year when he is a RS Soph/Jr.

Advertisement
Boy got a huge chip on his shoulder. Young says he sees the narrative.

“I was a little bit surprised [I got the invite], but I kind of went in there with a chip on my shoulder," Brown said. "I bust my *** every week and every Friday for my team. I do what I got to do to win and I still get that, ‘Oh he can’t throw’ and yada yada yada. That's bullcrap. Just going [into the Elite 11] where there’s no pads and you can’t run, I mean if I got an invite, that means they think I can throw, at least a little bit. That’s another just kudos to me for my mindset. I'm just going in there with a chip on my shoulder and going at every guy there. I mean no disrespect to anybody, but I’m coming for everybody."
—“BUT IM COMING FOR EVERYBODY.”
yeah, sign me up.

Advertisement

“People probably give all the credit to his legs, but I’m here to say his arm is definitely a big part of his game,” Bond said Tuesday of Brown, an uncommitted four-star recruit rated the 12th-best quarterback in the 2022 cycle according to the 247Sports Composite rankings.

He knows how to not put heat on the ball, take a touch off it."
I noted his deep ball touch.
“Not only just being able to read coverages but being able to play with your feet, and your feet allowing your eyes to see,” Nelson said. “Just polishing him up and throwing the football on the run, especially to the left side and stuff like that. Still a work in progress, no doubt with him, and he knows that.
Also noted his struggle areas are reading defenses and throwing accurately on the move. Good to hear this was already a point of emphasis. "Playing with your feet" is something Jacurri is aware of and it will become less deliberate as he gets reps.

At Lowndes, Brown runs an inside zone, outside zone power read offense. A lot of times, Nelson said, the defense dictates where the ball goes.
Another way of framing the 1-read pass concepts I mentioned they run a few times a game.
When critics point to Brown’s underwhelming completion percentage in 2020 (47.8 percent) and call him an athlete playing quarterback, Nelson shakes his head in disagreement and makes the case for why they’re wrong.

Brown said he played through a torn ligament in his thumb since the midway point of the season and still led Lowndes to a 10-2 record and the fourth round of the state playoffs.

Nelson notes Brown threw the ball out of bounds when he needed to, maintained his patience when his receivers dropped balls and put the team on his back when it was needed.
The games I studied were before this injury so it makes sense why his numbers look worse than the film I saw. Also again I noted how many of his incompletions were drops, throwaways, receiver mistakes or failed playcalls.

I will continue to evaluate the HOW and WHY while the majority of you settle for the WHAT - lazy low-hanging fruit heuristics that inform minimal to no understanding.

Advertisement
Back