Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

In a college field the hash marks are 20 yards from the near sideline and 40 feet apart. So from the far hash mark to the sideline is 100 feet, which I'll round down to 33 yards. The video shows the ball travels about 31 yards downfield in a straight line. Reaching back for to my geometry class (thank you Pythagoras), and we can calculate that throw to be just over 45 yards in the air. For a HS junior. Off his back foot. With a dude in his face. Towards the sideline where a pick was less likely.

EDIT: @TheOriginalCane is correct with those high school hash marks being further apart than in college. Result is pretty close... just under 50 yards in the air.
Which all circles back to the original point of it's an impressive throw, allbeit not an entirely accurate one, for a HS Junior to make.

Advertisement
We are talking about a throw made by a 16-17 year old HS kid and not Aaron Rodgers right...I mean I’m sure the kid will never grow and get any stronger and through repetitions will never become any more accurate with his throws.Taking all this into account I guess the kid is destined to be a bust unless of course we let him go elsewhere where he will grow and get stronger and more accurate and will become an AA and a top 10 pick...

Which all circles back to the original point of it's an impressive throw, allbeit not an entirely accurate one, for a HS Junior to make.

OK, I'm going to just to make a simple point.

The true beauty of the throw is not just the distance, but the fact that he put it in a place where nobody BUT his receiver could catch the ball.

How many times have we seen a QB throw up a desperation 50-50 ball? And it's called 50-50 for the chance that the DB gets to it or the WR gets to it, but not because it is 50% complete.

And many of those ducks are either thrown to where a DB CAN GET TO IT, or they are thrown out of bounds. What was great about that throw is that it was more like a 95-5 throw, as far as the chances of the WR getting to it vs. the DB getting to it.

Now, this is NOT a comparison, it is an EXAMPLE. During the Super Bowl, there were a couple of INCOMPLETE desperation throws that Mahomes made. Sure, he didn't win the game, sure he didn't throw for a TD, but there were a couple of heaves that were elegant in their PLACEMENT, that he threw it to the EXACT right spot where only his receiver could make the play. And the receivers blew it.

BUT...those throws were NOT interceptions. That is all.

The true beauty of the throw is not just the distance, but the fact that he put it in a place where nobody BUT his receiver could catch the ball.

How many times have we seen a QB throw up a desperation 50-50 ball? And it's called 50-50 for the chance that the DB gets to it or the WR gets to it, but not because it is 50% complete.

And many of those ducks are either thrown to where a DB CAN GET TO IT, or they are thrown out of bounds. What was great about that throw is that it was more like a 95-5 throw, as far as the chances of the WR getting to it vs. the DB getting to it.

Now, this is NOT a comparison, it is an EXAMPLE. During the Super Bowl, there were a couple of INCOMPLETE desperation throws that Mahomes made. Sure, he didn't win the game, sure he didn't throw for a TD, but there were a couple of heaves that were elegant in their PLACEMENT, that he threw it to the EXACT right spot where only his receiver could make the play. And the receivers blew it.

Oh I agree. In my first post I referenced the fact that it was at least in a spot only the receiver had a chance to make a play on it. That's exactly how you coach it. Give your guy and only your guy a shot to catch it. Would it have been nice to hit him in stride and he keeps going for a TD? Sure, but it's not always going to happen that way and at the very least if you can't make it a throw and catch in stride at least make sure that YOUR receiver is the only one with a shot at it. I came away impressed with that as well as that it was off back foot with pressure in face and traveling 50 or so yards in the air.

Really starting to come around on him after watching his game more. I hope to see continued improvement in the passing game this upcoming year for him and then I can be all in lol

Advertisement
Well, now, let's not take tdub's word for it...let's use MATH. Let's use the motherfvcking Pythagorean Theorem.

Soooo...

Ball was thrown from the 45 yardline. It crossed midfield and was caught at around the 22 yard line. If it had hit the ground, it would have landed at the 20, so for MATH purposes, and to make the math simple, let's say the ball travelled downfield 35 yards.

And then, the ball was thrown from the far hashmark to the opposite sidelines. A football field is 160 feet wide. High school hashmarks are 53 feet, 4 inches apart. Which means that the (collective) distance outside the hashmarks is 106 feet, 8 inches, which is 54 feet, 4 inches from each sideline to each hashmark. Which means that the distance from the far hashmark to the opposite sideline is 105 feet, 8 inches. Or, in yards, 35 yards.

And I think you see where I'm going here.

A 45-45-90 right triangle with each of the two legs being equal (each being about 35 yards) would allow you to calculate the hypotenuse (actual distance travelled by the football) by multiplying 35 times the square root of 2.

Which would come out to 49.5 yards.

So, yeah, even a blind guy could figure out that the ball was thrown about 50 yards in the air.
👍🏿

It's a ****** throw no matter how you try to justify it. Shouldve been an easy touchdown. But hey some of you guys think it's a great throw because you don't know what greatness actually looks like

Yes this is something Mahomes and Josh Allen do a lot. Throw to a spot away from the leverage of the defender where you're being aggressive but also safe with the ball. Trust your guy to make a play or it's incomplete.

Again there's a reason he didn't hit the WR in stride streaking downfield. He didn't have space to step into the throw and get the required velocity and distance to do that. So he opened towards the sideline and threw it up. You don't judge accuracy by how you think a ball should be thrown, rather you gauge it based on the eyes/shoulders/hips/feet of the QB. It was a perfectly placed ball, and not the only perfectly thrown deep ball from that game either. No Brown is not pinpoint accurate most of the time but he's not scattershot either. He gets the ball where it needs to go.

Advertisement
It's a ****** throw no matter how you try to justify it. Shouldve been an easy touchdown. But hey some of you guys think it's a great throw because you don't know what greatness actually looks like
You're like Paul George after Dame hit the game winner from deep over him

If you aren't impressed, that's fine. But saying that should have been "an easy touchdown" is painfully uninformed and shows you've never played a down of organized football in your life.

Maybe sitting on your couch w/ a beer and a bag of Doritos while playing Madden that's "an easy touchdown". But in real life, it's anything but easy.

Advertisement
If you aren't impressed, that's fine. But saying that should have been "an easy touchdown" is painfully uninformed and shows you've never played a down of organized football in your life.

Maybe sitting on your couch w/ a beer and a bag of Doritos while playing Madden that's "an easy touchdown". But in real life, it's anything but easy.
The fact that clowns like you are impressed with throws that are not even mediocre is a sad sad sad thing

The fact that clowns like you are impressed with throws that are not even mediocre is a sad sad sad thing
What's really sad is you've been on this message board over nine years and you don't know anything about football. But that's ok. Maybe football just isn't your speed. Maybe a very simple, non-contact sport like darts or lawn bowling is more in line with your talents....

And lucky for you those guys have message boards, too! Check it out: https://forum.julianhainesbowls.uk/ https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/ . Now there's a place you can go and talk about a "sport" without sounding like a complete ******* moron living in his mother's basement. So much fun for you! I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're really going to miss you, and we're all so jealous of all the great times you're sure to have over there. Don't be a stranger!

Advertisement
What's really sad is you've been on this message board over nine years and you don't know anything about football. But that's ok. Maybe football just isn't your speed. Maybe a very simple, non-contact sport like darts or lawn bowling is more in line with your talents....

And lucky for you those guys have message boards, too! Check it out: https://forum.julianhainesbowls.uk/ https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/ . Now there's a place you can go and talk about a "sport" without sounding like a complete ******* moron living in his mother's basement. So much fun for you! I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're really going to miss you, and we're all so jealous of all the great times you're sure to have over there. Don't be a stranger!
I've forgotten more about football than you'll ever know buddy. Only 2 guys even liking your retarded and nonsensical posts are the other 2 clowns who dont have a clue either in no fly loser and real Russell dicl pumper

Advertisement
Back