Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

He’s not as bad as y’all are making it seem. He’s fixable. Jones and ****kowski weren’t.
Think you’re directing that at him. The clips don’t look bad at all, I was expecting much worse. I’ve come around on the take due to the different skill set and really high upside. Anyone saying he missed “a ton of throws” in that clip is just being disingenuous to confirm their own bias. He was one point off the leaderboard of the Pro Day run through.

Advertisement
I wonder if Lowndes has talent on the outside. Usually guys with accuracy issues stink it up at camps like ****kowski and Jones did but he does pretty well at camps. He definitely needs to clean up his mechanics and is raw but I don’t see a guy that just over/under throws everybody all the time.
They were weak there in the games I watched. His best receiver was an low-level FCS guy.

I wonder if Lowndes has talent on the outside. Usually guys with accuracy issues stink it up at camps like ****kowski and Jones did but he does pretty well at camps. He definitely needs to clean up his mechanics and is raw but I don’t see a guy that just over/under throws everybody all the time.

you be the judge...

Stats don't tell you how many INTs or incompletions happen when the WR runs the wrong direction like he's blind. Or later on in this game you see the coaching factor where Lowndes runs a 1-man route on a boot to the left that had no prayer of coming open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That's actually a poor throw tbh he throws his wr out of bounds instead of leading him for an easy walk in touchdown

I was about to say, man that looks like a Jacory Harris INT to me.

I think what @HighSeas is trying to point out there is the pass is 30+ yards downfield, from the far hash mark to the opposite sideline, with a defender in his face and Brown not stepping into the throw at all. He's a kid with inconsistent mechanics, but that throw shows a lot of pure arm strength.

I think what @HighSeas is trying to point out there is the pass is 30+ yards downfield, from the far hash mark to the opposite sideline, with a defender in his face and Brown not stepping into the throw at all. He's a kid with inconsistent mechanics, but that throw shows a lot of pure arm strength.
Yeah that’s all fine, and don’t get me wrong, I like this kid. But that wasn’t a good example to show me anything likable. I would have much rather seen him slide to his right, climb, and throw a 50yd TD.

Yeah that’s all fine, and don’t get me wrong, I like this kid. But that wasn’t a good example to show me anything likable. I would have much rather seen him slide to his right, climb, and throw a 50yd TD.

You and everyone else on this board, brother!

Jokes aside, I am far from a legit talent evaluator, but I try to look at the traits a recruit shows on a play over the result of the play itself, if that makes sense. And Brown is showing a legit arm strength (and some toughness) on that play. Trust me when I say this is not a knock on Harris, but Jacory could not make that same throw (under those circumstances) as a HS junior, and I'm not sure he even could make that throw as a college junior. None of that means Brown is a sure thing, but he's definitely got some traits to work with.

I knew there would be know-it-alls coming in to nitpick the play after watching it once with a lazy eye. CIS gonna CIS.

Pat attention to the eyes of Brown. He looks at the fake bubble, sees the blitz coming, thinks about running, decides there's nowhere to flee then resets his feet and snaps a flat-foot throw over 30 yds downfield from the far hash.

Look even closer and you'll see that he had no space to climb the pocket and drive the ball up the field, so knowing that he had to lob the throw he placed it on the sideline safely away from the defender where it's either incomplete or a long completion. This is not an inaccurate ball. This is an intentional throw with general accuracy to a spot, and you can tell because of where his shoulder is aligned on the release. This is the kind of stuff you see from Fields or Lawrence or Burrow (Burrow doesn't have this kind of arm talent though).

I've studied 2 games of Brown and I don't see major accuracy issues. He's not a pinpoint passer but few are. His development curve will be with coverage reads and progressions because right now his offense doesn't ask that of him. He doesn't read safeties well and his offense is a lot of 1-read plays with 1 or 2 routes so he throws the ball right at defenders at times trying to force it. He also has some lower body mechanics issues that pop up occasionally like when he's on the move but those are very correctable.

I see a kid with phenomenal traits: arm talent including velocity and touch throws, special size/athleticism (like a faster Trey Lance), innate poise under duress vs blitz or free rushers, understanding of leverage and where to place throws, and ease of footwork (reverse pivots, varying stride, resetting, etc.).

Advertisement
I've studied 2 games of Brown and I don't see major accuracy issues. He's not a pinpoint passer but few are. His development curve will be with coverage reads and progressions because right now his offense doesn't ask that of him. He doesn't read safeties well and his offense is a lot of 1-read plays with 1 or 2 routes so he throws the ball right at defenders at times trying to force it. He also has some lower body mechanics issues that pop up occasionally like when he's on the move but those are very correctable.
100% agree. We're seeing the same thing. And the rave reviews on his character are encouraging in terms of projecting improvement.

Another thing I noticed is that his WRs couldn't keep up with his arm talent. Some of those throws are big completions at a school like STA or Northwestern.

After watching a few games, it’s not really his pure passing ability that concerns me. He has a strong arm, a clean release and should get more accurate with improved footwork.

Where he really struggled was reading defenses and making confident decisions in the passing game. The OC will be huge for him.

100% agree. We're seeing the same thing. And the rave reviews on his character are encouraging in terms of projecting improvement.

Another thing I noticed is that his WRs couldn't keep up with his arm talent. Some of those throws are big completions at a school like STA or Northwestern.
I made some notes from the game I clipped and here are some of the excerpts:

• TD drop (on another fake bubble vert that he placed outside shoulder)
  • 3rd+long deep dig PI no-call on a well-placed ball. WR played small at the catch point
  • half-roll whip route - again ball placed away from defender but WR failed to adjust
  • near red zone quick setup+delivery vs blitz throws perfect ball outside shoulder to HBack wheel but dropped
  • perfect touch go ball broken up as WR played soft at catch point
So 5 plays that should have been big completions in 1 game where he maybe threw the ball 15-20 times. Then you add in the throwaway where he evaded the rush on a 1-man route concept that was covered and it's easy to see why his stats are underwhelming. Then you see him turn a play where 4 free rushers have him dead to rights in the backfield into a ~3yd gain, or runs where defenders bounce off him as he explodes into daylight...and yeah that's a special talent.

Advertisement
This is like what we have now but bigger. He would definitely do well here with Lashlee. He looks like he can be a real good cfb qb. I shut it off after the first run. Offer now
Bro! All day every day! After 3 minutes I had seen enough. Now that is the definition of a freakish athlete. I saw much more potential as a passer than I had expected to see. Come on down!

No matter what anyone tries to say, that was a horrible pass. You can hype him up all you want but saying we haven't had a qb be able to make that throw is asinine. We've had walk ons capable of making that throw. A lob 30 yards down field is not showing one iota of arm strength. Showing arm strength is throwing the 15 yard out from the far hash on a rope to a spot only your wr has a play on

I made some notes from the game I clipped and here are some of the excerpts:

• TD drop (on another fake bubble vert that he placed outside shoulder)
  • 3rd+long deep dig PI no-call on a well-placed ball. WR played small at the catch point
  • half-roll whip route - again ball placed away from defender but WR failed to adjust
  • near red zone quick setup+delivery vs blitz throws perfect ball outside shoulder to HBack wheel but dropped
  • perfect touch go ball broken up as WR played soft at catch point
So 5 plays that should have been big completions in 1 game where he maybe threw the ball 15-20 times. Then you add in the throwaway where he evaded the rush on a 1-man route concept that was covered and it's easy to see why his stats are underwhelming. Then you see him turn a play where 4 free rushers have him dead to rights in the backfield into a ~3yd gain, or runs where defenders bounce off him as he explodes into daylight...and yeah that's a special talent.
I need to watch a game with you.

Advertisement
Back