Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

I don't think there should be any question marks about a high school QB. I could see if size was an issue, but this looks, like somebody said above, like a Sitkowski kind of thing. It's not like it gets any easier as he moves up to college ball.

LoL. In a typical recruiting season, there's at most a handful of HS QBs with no question marks. And for 2022, that guy's name is Quinn Ewers and he's an O$U commit.

Advertisement
I recall the same ppl trying to vouch for Arthur. U’re looking at size & not looking at what’s important as a QB. Dont allow highlights con u. No way we should be full pressing a kid who barely throws the ball and is inaccurate when doing so.
Yeah I wasn’t one of those peeps. We’re also in a different situation with TVD and Garcia here. But I get your points. I still would like to bring him in, even if we sign 2 QB’s for ‘22.

But that is exactly my point. Coaching can improve accuracy if a kid is willing and works hard. And we all know that HS coaching often leaves a lot to be desired. College coaching is better, and NFL coaching is even better.

And Josh Allen improved his accuracy in his 20s, not when he was a 17 year old kid. So, you know, it's possible. Inaccuracy is not some physical defect that requires surgery.

Eh; U’re my boy....but let’s pump the brakes on Josh real quick for comparison sake.

Josh didn’t get a lot of attention b/c he played in Firebaugh CA; and if ur not from Northern CA driving down to Southern CA, nobody know where the f that is; meaning not a lot of fan fare in these parts of CA.

Josh was about a 54- 56% passer in high school w/ 59 TDs & 15 ints in his HS career. He got to Wyoming and he was about a 54-56% passer. 44 TDs & 21 ints. What he did in high school pretty much remained the same.
When he got to Buffalo, his first two yrs in that 54-56% range. Now it “could” be argued that part of the reason his accuracy went up, this season, was due to a change in offensive philosophy &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&’d some guy named Stephon Diggs who is one of the best route runners & has some of the best hands.

Regardless, we’re talking NFL coaching. Now, is Lashlee a QB whisperer?

Advertisement
SIAP, is he expected to commit anytime soon? I know it's only February but typically QBs commit earlier than any other positions.

Eh; U’re my boy....but let’s pump the brakes on Josh real quick for comparison sake.

Josh didn’t get a lot of attention b/c he played in Firebaugh CA; and if ur not from Northern CA driving down to Southern CA, nobody know where the f that is; meaning not a lot of fan fare in these parts of CA.

Josh was about a 54- 56% passer in high school w/ 59 TDs & 15 ints in his HS career. He got to Wyoming and he was about a 54-56% passer. 44 TDs & 21 ints. What he did in high school pretty much remained the same.
When he got to Buffalo, his first two yrs in that 54-56% range. Now it “could” be argued that part of the reason his accuracy went up, this season, was due to a change in offensive philosophy &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&’d some guy named Stephon Diggs who is one of the best route runners & has some of the best hands.

Regardless, we’re talking NFL coaching. Now, is Lashlee a QB whisperer?

Again, from the outset, I said it was NOT a comparison. I was just giving ONE recent example of a guy who changed his accuracy and completion percentage with coaching and hard work.

And let's not pretend that Stefon Diggs is the sole reason for this reversal of a Allen's accuracy stat. Your statistical analysis would have to include some sort of conclusion that the majority of Diggs' receptions were uncatchable ducks that Diggs managed to salvage, and I don't think that is the case.

And, look, I'm not mad and I'm not going to get overly critical, but the way that you sum up Allen's numbers in Buffalo is a bit misleading. Allen was not "in the 54-56% range" for two consecutive years. In Year 1, he was at 52.8% and in Year 2 he was at 58.8%. The reason why this distinction is important is that Allen did NOT have comparable accuracy rates in both Years 1 and 2, he made significant improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. And then improved even more in Year 3.

The elements I'm focusing on have nothing to do with who the WR is. You can't guarantee who your WRs will be for your entire career. Improving accuracy has to do with coaching, mechanics, and the desire to change and work hard. Allen only started for 2 years at Wyoming, and Wyoming is not really considered a hotbed of QB coaching. I remember reading an article (which was primarily about another QB in that draft) which talked about Allen getting additional coaching to improve himself for the draft. And now that he has quality coaching, he has improved each year, which is often a difficult thing to get an older player to do (i.e., older than a 17 year old recruit).

Again, NOT a comparison to Josh Allen, merely a rebuttal to the general concept that you can never improve a QB's accuracy and that a HS completion percentage will extrapolate across an entire career.

Advertisement
Brown has the arm the talent it just needs to be refined along with his footwork fundamentals. Looking at him in a strictly passing situation his arm talent and decision making passes the eye test.

compare brown’s running to marcus peterson (TE prospect).

brown is as big or bigger, better qb (peterson runs wildcat), better runner.... If he were open to a position switch down the road if it were warranted, he looks like a superior potential TE prospect athletically (need to understand hands and toughness).

Again, from the outset, I said it was NOT a comparison. I was just giving ONE recent example of a guy who changed his accuracy and completion percentage with coaching and hard work.

And let's not pretend that Stefon Diggs is the sole reason for this reversal of a Allen's accuracy stat. Your statistical analysis would have to include some sort of conclusion that the majority of Diggs' receptions were uncatchable ducks that Diggs managed to salvage, and I don't think that is the case.

And, look, I'm not mad and I'm not going to get overly critical, but the way that you sum up Allen's numbers in Buffalo is a bit misleading. Allen was not "in the 54-56% range" for two consecutive years. In Year 1, he was at 52.8% and in Year 2 he was at 58.8%. The reason why this distinction is important is that Allen did NOT have comparable accuracy rates in both Years 1 and 2, he made significant improvement from Year 1 to Year 2. And then improved even more in Year 3.

The elements I'm focusing on have nothing to do with who the WR is. You can't guarantee who your WRs will be for your entire career. Improving accuracy has to do with coaching, mechanics, and the desire to change and work hard. Allen only started for 2 years at Wyoming, and Wyoming is not really considered a hotbed of QB coaching. I remember reading an article (which was primarily about another QB in that draft) which talked about Allen getting additional coaching to improve himself for the draft. And now that he has quality coaching, he has improved each year, which is often a difficult thing to get an older player to do (i.e., older than a 17 year old recruit).

Again, NOT a comparison to Josh Allen, merely a rebuttal to the general concept that you can never improve a QB's accuracy and that a HS completion percentage will extrapolate across an entire career.

My fault: didn’t see a previous post by u. That’s all u had to say. Lol. I was going to break down Allen’s accuracy improvement from yr 1 to yr 2, but didn’t see a significant enough jump to show that, so I just did the avg since it was a 6% increase & hovered around his norm. I wasn’t saying Diggs was the sole reason, but having a guy wide open a lot or creating open opportunities for ur 2nd & 3rd option helps. Regardless, coaching really helped him improve for sure.

But on another note: ur point about Wyoming not being a hot bed for QBs, U’re exactly right. In fact, on a totally different subject, most of the QBs who are doing well in the NFL were not highly rated coming out of high school (exceptions: Watson, Stafford). Something to note.

Last edited:
Don't know enough about his passing but he's your typical raw athletic QB. I will say that his frame and athletic ability pops off the screen. His running gait and ability to destroy angles is impressive. This kid can be real dynamic under a great S&C program and a solid RS year of learning from a good QB coach.

Advertisement
My fault: didn’t see a previous post by u. That’s all u had to say. Lol.

No big deal, man, you know I love and respect you. I'll chat with anyone about any topic, it's just hard to talk with some folks who only cite one stat and then act like a kid can't improve himself.

I honestly have no idea whether Jacurri will ever become a more accurate passer, but I trust the coaches to make that decision and then work with the kid.

I do believe that when a QB does not improve his accuracy over time, it has a lot to do with the fear of change, and a certain physical stubbornness to make changes to the mechanics and processes that got the kid to where he currently is. That doesn't make them bad people.

I've read articles on how even Tiger Woods has, a couple of times in his career, made changes to the mechanics of his swing. So if the best-in-the-game can always be looking to take the risk of changing his mechanics, I wish that more QBs could embrace that as well.

I'd imagine that Tiger Woods had more coaching (on his mechanics) at age 17 than most of these HS QBs have had. If more QBs had more mechanics-coaching at a younger age, I'd be willing to bet that we wouldn't be so quick to conclude that "accuracy" is some sort of innate trait that can never be improved upon.

All is good. Jacurri needs some work. I remain hopeful that good coaching and hard work can make an impact.

No big deal, man, you know I love and respect you. I'll chat with anyone about any topic, it's just hard to talk with some folks who only cite one stat and then act like a kid can't improve himself.

I honestly have no idea whether Jacurri will ever become a more accurate passer, but I trust the coaches to make that decision and then work with the kid.

I do believe that when a QB does not improve his accuracy over time, it has a lot to do with the fear of change, and a certain physical stubbornness to make changes to the mechanics and processes that got the kid to where he currently is. That doesn't make them bad people.

I've read articles on how even Tiger Woods has, a couple of times in his career, made changes to the mechanics of his swing. So if the best-in-the-game can always be looking to take the risk of changing his mechanics, I wish that more QBs could embrace that as well.

I'd imagine that Tiger Woods had more coaching (on his mechanics) at age 17 than most of these HS QBs have had. If more QBs had more mechanics-coaching at a younger age, I'd be willing to bet that we wouldn't be so quick to conclude that "accuracy" is some sort of innate trait that can never be improved upon.

All is good. Jacurri needs some work. I remain hopeful that good coaching and hard work can make an impact.

He’s a project, for sure. Potential is there for sure; I was just a little shook w/ ppl saying he’s our QB for the class of ‘22. Lol. I was like well, let’s get somebody else on board too, or let’s expand our recruiting trail for this position. As we’ve seen w/ King, getting the QB right is so important.

He’s a project, for sure. Potential is there for sure; I was just a little shook w/ ppl saying he’s our QB for the class of ‘22. Lol. I was like well, let’s get somebody else on board too, or let’s expand our recruiting trail for this position. As we’ve seen w/ King, getting the QB right is so important.

Yeah, and it's hard to get a sense of these things when all the camps and Elite 11 and whatnot are going by the wayside. QBs, in particular, can make some good strides when they get higher-quality coaching.

I wonder what QB development is going to be like over the next few years. These HS players are now going into a second year of being impacted by Covid. Not as many games, camps, 7-on-7 opportunities, and then all the coaching that goes along with it. I really wonder if, in a couple of years, we are going to have a bunch of raw-talent QBs trying to elevate their gameplay in college.

Advertisement
247Sports Composite: 4-star | 0.9478 | No. 126 Overall | No. 6 DUAL
Recruitment status: Undecided
247Sports Crystal Ball: Florida 100%
Measurables: 6-4 | 205
2020 stats: In 12 games as a junior, Brown completed 88 of 184 passes (47.8 pct.) for 1,537 yards with 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions while rushing for 1,101 yards and 16 touchdowns on 189 carries.
Player evaluation: Intriguing, lean frame with the desired height. An effective runner given long stride and ability to not only evade defenders, but also shed tackles. Has rushed for 100-plus yards multiple times at the high school level. Will cover plenty of ground when forced to leave the pocket, but his understanding of how to sell the read-option seems to create the most problems for defenses. Improving as a passer, but needs to get more accurate and find some touch, especially when working the short to intermediate parts of the field. Has a longer release which allows him to put pace on the ball. Not afraid to take a deep shot. By far one of the more unique quarterbacks in the class of 2022 given skill set and knack for making plays. Has the potential to eventually win games at the Power 5 level, but will likely need some time to develop. Should thrive in an offensive system that embraces dual-threat quarterbacks. – 247Sports Southeast Recruiting Analyst Andrew Ivins
NFL Draft projection: 4-7 Round (Day 3)
Player comparison: Devin Gardner | QB | Michigan Wolverines

Don't know enough about his passing but he's your typical raw athletic QB. I will say that his frame and athletic ability pops off the screen. His running gait and ability to destroy angles is impressive. This kid can be real dynamic under a great S&C program and a solid RS year of learning from a good QB coach.
And would come in with Garcia and TVD fighting for the starting job and can focus on development in year 1. To me this is the class to bring in this type of QB, maybe we strike gold.

Yeah, and it's hard to get a sense of these things when all the camps and Elite 11 and whatnot are going by the wayside. QBs, in particular, can make some good strides when they get higher-quality coaching.

I wonder what QB development is going to be like over the next few years. These HS players are now going into a second year of being impacted by Covid. Not as many games, camps, 7-on-7 opportunities, and then all the coaching that goes along with it. I really wonder if, in a couple of years, we are going to have a bunch of raw-talent QBs trying to elevate their gameplay in college.

Sheesh; yeah man. U’re exactly right.

Man rewatched his film. Brown looks like a prototype at WR or TE. Terrell Owens. His runs through traffic says not afraid of contact. If he's not a QB, don't see how he's not a great prospect anyhow. This is a kid you just take and worry about where he plays later.

Advertisement
Back