Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

My favorite part about these type of threads is if he signs, 95% of the posters not wanting him and thinking he's not good, will be his biggest fans.

Happens every year. If you dont like him, I respect that. Just wish some of yall would stick to that opinion instead of changing your tune the second he commits.

I cite Jake Garcia's recruitment.
to be fair tho Jake's junior season film wasnt all that. his senior season he improved a lot. you saw more athleticism and better touch in one of the hardest divisions in georgia football.

Advertisement
Listen I get what you are saying but you are also referencing a pro wh

typically kids who are very inaccurate stay inaccurate.

recruiting QBs starts with kids who can complete passes.

He may be a freak athlete but I just don’t see it at QB

Also Lashlees QB recruiting is worrisome. The QBs brought to auburn were.... trash! Remember Jon Franklin? Or that kid from U-School?

Jake Garcia was offered before Lashlee got here.

But that is exactly my point. Coaching can improve accuracy if a kid is willing and works hard. And we all know that HS coaching often leaves a lot to be desired. College coaching is better, and NFL coaching is even better.

And Josh Allen improved his accuracy in his 20s, not when he was a 17 year old kid. So, you know, it's possible. Inaccuracy is not some physical defect that requires surgery.

to be fair tho Jake's junior season film wasnt all that. his senior season he improved a lot. you saw more athleticism and better touch in one of the hardest divisions in georgia football.

Sure.

But allow me to quote most of the anti-Garcia-before-he-committed porsts. "Slow". "Trash". "Terrible fit". "Overrated". "We should wait until next year".

And porsters were saying that even during his time in Georgia.

Sure.

But allow me to quote most of the anti-Garcia-before-he-committed porsts. "Slow". "Trash". "Terrible fit". "Overrated". "We should wait until next year".

Garcia committed relatively late. Have no problem recruiting brown and if we could watch his senior film before deciding, all the better. But he looks like an athlete to me, so would comsider taking him regardless of position.

Sure.

Well I know i was saying some of those things after first seeing him play but my tone changed post georgia. Obviously not everyone is going to be a fan but it is what it is. This kid Brown is high risk high gamble.

Advertisement
The Sitkowski comparison is unfair. This kid is a way better football player. Sitkowski couldn't run and got benched as a senior. Brown is 24-3 as a starter and is often the most impactful player on the field.

The passing concerns are legit, of course. If he was a polished passer, he'd be the #1 overall player in the country. He's not. It's an upside gamble with two more polished QBs (TVD and Garcia) already in the system. The odds are less than 50% he actually meets his physical potential.

The game has gotten easier for QBs, though, which makes you more comfortable betting on tools. To me, the best-to-worst-case scenarios play out like this: (1) he blossoms as a passer like Josh Allen and Cam; (2) he doesn't develop as a passer, but converts to WR and becomes an impact player; (3) he's a rich-man's Hendon Hooker as a QB; or (4) he transfers and one of those scenarios plays out at another school.

The key to me is character. If he's a good, motivated kid, that greatly increases the possibility of development. Here are his sophomore clips:

1:31 Ridiculous throw. The upside is absolutely there.

Mostly every recruit's film improves from their junior to senior season in HS. Thats pretty normal.

People see what they want to see. Jake didn't go from some scrub to elite on tape in one year. In fact, he dropped in the rankings from Jr. to Sr. Season.

So again, and this is undisputable as I've seen it happen for over a decade on message boards, most people have no objectivity when evaluating a player. Its a just a fact lol.

Advertisement
Garcia committed relatively late. Have no problem recruiting brown and if we could watch his senior film before deciding, all the better. But he looks like an athlete to me, so would comsider taking him regardless of position.

People keep twisting this and bull$hitting like crazy.

Doesn't matter when Garcia "committed". He was, quite literally, the only QB that would return our calls during Covid. He was the only offered QB we recruited from about June through November.

And when he was the ONLY recruited QB who seemed like a possible Miami commit, all through his dominant senior season, our porsters continually slagged him. All you have to do is search on his name and check the time-stamps. The receipts are all over this board.

The point is simple. If Lashlee likes him, if Lashlee thinks he can coach him, if Lashlee thinks he can improve his accuracy, then I think it's silly for anyone to spend months ripping Jacurri Brown (and only citing his high school completion percentage).

People keep twisting this and bull$hitting like crazy.

Doesn't matter when Garcia "committed". He was, quite literally, the only QB that would return our calls during Covid. He was the only offered QB we recruited from about June through November.

And when he was the ONLY recruited QB who seemed like a possible Miami commit, all through his dominant senior season, our porsters continually slagged him. All you have to do is search on his name and check the time-stamps. The receipts are all over this board.

The point is simple. If Lashlee likes him, if Lashlee thinks he can coach him, if Lashlee thinks he can improve his accuracy, then I think it's silly for anyone to spend months ripping Jacurri Brown (and only citing his high school completion percentage).
You have a weird habit of picking a post, responding to it, then flailing on other topics at other people. I should learn to ignore these posts from you.

In any case, whatever. No idea what you think you're responding to.

Well I know i was saying some of those things after first seeing him play but my tone changed post georgia. Obviously not everyone is going to be a fan but it is what it is. This kid Brown is high risk high gamble.

See, at least you are one of the honest ones. Not many like you.

And I'm not saying UM porsters are awful human beings, I'm just pointing out that MAYBE Lashlee is paid what he is paid because he has a better ability to judge QB talent than most/some/all of our porsters do.

Imagine if you are a kid being recruited to UM, a Top 100 recruit, the coaches want you, the teammates want you, and then you go on CIS and dozens of know-nothings are slandering you as if you are some random 2-star.

Would be nice if more porsters didn't insist on giving scathing hot-take assessments of recruits off of 30 seconds of grainy video. Or after only googling a recruit's high school completion percentage.

You have a weird habit of picking a post, responding to it, then flailing on other topics at other people. I should learn to ignore these posts from you.

In any case, whatever. No idea what you think you're responding to.

No, I'm not being critical of you personally, I am commenting on the trend in porster behavior. You and I can have an honest conversation about that without making assumptions.

I am talking about porsters who slam a recruit for a year, and then when the kid picks us in December, they act as if they just didn't have enough evidence to support a positive assessment until the kid went to the Georgia HS championship game. And then picks UM a few weeks later.

That's all. Not a criticism of you. It's just a comment on the porsters who act like all of their prior posts shouldn't count because Garcia picked UM late in the process.

Advertisement
No, I'm not being critical of you personally, I am commenting on the trend in porster behavior. You and I can have an honest conversation about that without making assumptions.

I am talking about porsters who slam a recruit for a year, and then when the kid picks us in December, they act as if they just didn't have enough evidence to support a positive assessment until the kid went to the Georgia HS championship game. And then picks UM a few weeks later.

That's all. Not a criticism of you. It's just a comment on the porsters who act like all of their prior posts shouldn't count because Garcia picked UM late in the process.
When you respond to a post with a quote, the general assumption is you're responding to the poster you quoted.

Anyhow, I was tepid on Garcia until late in the year. I hope he's as good as I have come around to thinking. No idea because my record of evaluating QBs is terrible.

But my point on him committing late is in the context of this thread on Jacurri Brown. My point is that we can recruit a guy and see more info so don't need to hear folks now say yes or now. It may be that we had no alternatives to Garcia, but that wasn't intentional ... it was a result of covid and a new OC and Enos sucking so badly.

Just for comparison, here are Lamar Jackson's junior stats at Boynton Beach:

43% completion, 1,264 yards, 19 TDs and 6 picks. 960 yards rushing and 10 TDs.

And here are Jacurri Brown's junior stats:

48% completion, 1,537 yards, 14 TDs and 7 picks. 1,108 yards rushing and 16 TDs.

To be clear: this does NOT mean Brown will develop like Lamar, Cam and Allen. Those guys are outliers. But there is a history of highly athletic QBs developing their passing skills at a later age. The key is going to be coachability and work ethic. The three NFL guys had that. I don't know anything about Brown in that regard.

Advertisement

48% completion, 1,537 yards, 14 TDs and 7 picks. 1,108 yards rushing and 16 TDs.

To be clear: this does NOT mean Brown will develop like Lamar, Cam and Allen. Those guys are outliers. But there is a history of highly athletic QBs developing their passing skills at a later age. The key is going to be coachability and work ethic. The three NFL guys had that. I don't know anything about Brown in that regard.
ok but lamar and cam are in another class athletically, from what i can see. brown is a big guy who can move pretty well but not in a way that is that special athletically imo. i see more logan thomas, tyrone swoopes than i do lamar jackson and cam newton. i wouldn't hate the take or anything but i don't think he's an outlier athlete or else he would be ranked even higher just off that, forget about his passing.

His mechanics, footwork, throwing motion, the whole nine yards need work. No doubt. And the thing is, you can still see the arm talent oozing with him. Worst case scenario we use him in packages or he moves to a different position.

Having King back another year and TVD/Garcia battling it out this kid is a no brainer take. He’s too talented not to.

He is the exact kind of QB Miami folks have nightmares about playing against and people would be losing their minds if he went to FSU, VT, or anyone we play annually.

ok but lamar and cam are in another class athletically, from what i can see. brown is a big guy who can move pretty well but not in a way that is that special athletically imo. i see more logan thomas, tyrone swoopes than i do lamar jackson and cam newton. i wouldn't hate the take or anything but i don't think he's an outlier athlete or else he would be ranked even higher just off that, forget about his passing.
His straight-line speed is pretty unique. Agreed that I'd like to see more lateral quicks in tight spaces, but he can make guys miss once he gets downhill.

Advertisement
Back