Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

Bro, there’s a reason why some are backing off some of these HS kids. Because without camp, coaches are getting to see kids in real action. Those who played anyway. And this kid is needs ALOT OF DEVELOPING. He’s a backyard QB for real. Against top competition he barely could got the ball out, he was in accurate AF, and I doubt he can make the passes needed to made in a true spread. In 12 games, he completed 47% of his passes for 1580 yds. Nah bro. Rarely does a QB who struggle in high school just makes a jump in college. Think Arthur Stokowski.

Brown has a freakish stature and strong arm, but that’s about it. If he comes to Miami, I really hope they can develop him into something, because right now he’s several seats behind what Nkosi was coming out of HS. He’s just more athletic. I wouldn’t be surprised if he moved to TE at the next level. A good frat brother of mine is a recruiter for UF, and other one for UGA, and they both told me why UF and UGA wasn’t recruiting him anymore. If your own state school isn’t recruiting you... why is that?
How’d that work out for Lamar Jackson?

Advertisement
Nooooooo!!! Please Miami don’t do it to yourself. Smh. I wish the best for him but Miami needs to leave him and Zion Turner alone.
I'm not going to dislike this post because part of what message boards enjoyable is bringing new ideas to the table....most guys didn't like this post, tbh I don't agree with you, but I do see there's not a complete 100% consensus of downvotes.

My question to you is, why do you say he's not a take?

TAKE. I remember not so long ago that a guy name Jalen Hurts was being DESTROYED due to his lack of accuracy while at Bama...then he went to Oklahoma and continued working on his craft, got better as a QB by improving that accuracy and then went on to be a 2nd round draft pick.

That is my comparison for this kid, Jalen Hurts.

Advertisement
You're obviously trying to make every excuse on the book for him for whatever reason.

Where are the short easy throws? Same place they usually are in most QB highlight videos, on the cutting room floor. It's why highlight videos should always be taken with a collosal grain of salt as they eliminate their poor throws.

I don't have a fascination with stats, but I'll use them in conjunction with highlights and if I'm lucky enough to see game film as well. Kids passing stats, I'll just go ahead and say it, they suck. When talking a out a QB, that's the first place you start, with his throwing. I don't expect flawless mechanics and system certainly can affect some things, but his system also gives him an advantage for when he's asked to throw it.

Great with the ball in his hands running it. Lowndes had a very good ground game as well. Teams not only had to account for him, but the running backs as well and he still struggled throwing the ball? If that doesn't raise your eyebrows, I don't know what to tell you. What's the magical number for that, 45%? 40?

Then there's some of the throws that worked out for him in high school that are going to be problematic in college. The very first throw is an interception in college. So I asked what's his INT numbers and you touched on that so here we are.

We're talking high school where you should be the vastly superior talent in comparison to your competition, not college to the NFL. You're really reaching now and everyone is good there.

Murray compares favorably with Allen. Allen has one good year, but his career numbers are well below Murray. He's on par for his career with the other two who have been in the league for one year and three like him. Allen has the best single season mark, but he didn't get there right away.

I do think you're a solid poster, but if you're not concerned about his passing ability, that's fine. I'm done talking about it, he's simply underwhelming as a QB prospect. I want more. Athletically, he's very good, but I want someone who can get yards with their feet (check) but can in turn make sound decisions followed by accurate throws. He's not that, it's concerning and maybe one day he develops into a passer as well. He just isn't that right now and it's okay to acknowledge that.
This is the point I'm making. If you watch Kyler Murray on Arizona he throws a ton of passes near the line of scrimmage on 1-read screens and RPO slants. He's erratic on the kinds of throws Allen makes because he's very twitchy throwing from an imbalanced base. But the stats would tell you he's "accurate" if you don't consider the context.

I'll look up game film of Brown when I get the chance and get back to you. Regardless I think you're misunderstanding my position here. I don't see positives in his passing skills besides arm strength. The point I'm making is that he has value regardless of how good of a passer he is, and the threshold for him to be an effective passer is much lower than it is for Jake Garcia. It doesn't really matter whether my suspicion is correct that his stats are bogged down by scheme, the important thing to consider is that Brown's athleticism narrows the development curve for him as a passer.

The obvious example is Lamar Jackson who can't really throw outside the numbers or with velocity to any area of the field yet won an MVP leveraging his run threat to easy lob throws into zones between the numbers. Brown actually has a big arm though, so a foundation of "read CB leverage and attack 1on1s outside to Romello Brinson (I just studied a full game of his...WOW) or Redding or whomever" and throw accurate screens and RPOs, combined with Brown's running ability, could be a lethal offense. It wouldn't be a huge leap for him to execute something like that. No one's asking him to be Joe Burrow or Kyle Trask.

Because of the portal there’s probably something to be said for going after higher ceiling prospects. Higher floor guys do less for you now that you can snag someone decent from portal if things don’t work out

Advertisement
That's a fair point. I was looking at him as a QB. Those athletic traits may well translate at another position, but even there he is likely a project and how he grows and develops will be huge.
It flows back to the 'take great athletes' topic we've discussed in recruiting threads (some folks have anyhow). He's the QB, leader, likely best athlete on team. Obviously you have to do your homework and evaluate, but he looks to me like the kind of kid you take a risk on.

Advertisement
This is the point I'm making. If you watch Kyler Murray on Arizona he throws a ton of passes near the line of scrimmage on 1-read screens and RPO slants. He's erratic on the kinds of throws Allen makes because he's very twitchy throwing from an imbalanced base. But the stats would tell you he's "accurate" if you don't consider the context.

I'll look up game film of Brown when I get the chance and get back to you. Regardless I think you're misunderstanding my position here. I don't see positives in his passing skills besides arm strength. The point I'm making is that he has value regardless of how good of a passer he is, and the threshold for him to be an effective passer is much lower than it is for Jake Garcia. It doesn't really matter whether my suspicion is correct that his stats are bogged down by scheme, the important thing to consider is that Brown's athleticism narrows the development curve for him as a passer.

The obvious example is Lamar Jackson who can't really throw outside the numbers or with velocity to any area of the field yet won an MVP leveraging his run threat to easy lob throws into zones between the numbers. Brown actually has a big arm though, so a foundation of "read CB leverage and attack 1on1s outside to Romello Brinson (I just studied a full game of his...WOW) or Redding or whomever" and throw accurate screens and RPOs, combined with Brown's running ability, could be a lethal offense. It wouldn't be a huge leap for him to execute something like that. No one's asking him to be Joe Burrow or Kyle Trask.

That makes more sense.

Numbers wise, he doesn't appear to be strong anywhere throwing the ball. That is just a big red flag. In particular when you look at how our offense looked when it was largely confined to the short passing game. In comes N'kosi and while it was for one game essentially, there was the vertical passing game we couldn't seem to get out of King.

Like I said, I want more. I'm greedy. If there is a year to take a reach, something I think this young man is at the position, this is it. You give him a shot and if it doesn't work out, don't waste his time. Find another position, TE someone said, or who knows what. Let him pursue that dream elsewhere if he's QB or nothing.

It's early, shoot for the stars. Come back to this kid if you don't nail a bigger target. Running the ball though, mad respect for his skills there.

Advertisement
This is NOT a comparison. It's merely an observation of how absolutely certain our conclusions can be when we only look at statistics and disregard everything else.

But, yeah, Josh Allen has never become a more accurate passer over time.
Listen I get what you are saying but you are also referencing a pro who’s has pro coaching at the highest level.

typically kids who are very inaccurate stay inaccurate.

recruiting QBs starts with kids who can complete passes.

He may be a freak athlete but I just don’t see it at QB

Also Lashlees QB recruiting is worrisome. The QBs brought to auburn were.... trash! Remember Jon Franklin? Or that kid from U-School?

Jake Garcia was offered before Lashlee got here.

That makes more sense.

Numbers wise, he doesn't appear to be strong anywhere throwing the ball. That is just a big red flag. In particular when you look at how our offense looked when it was largely confined to the short passing game. In comes N'kosi and while it was for one game essentially, there was the vertical passing game we couldn't seem to get out of King.

Like I said, I want more. I'm greedy. If there is a year to take a reach, something I think this young man is at the position, this is it. You give him a shot and if it doesn't work out, don't waste his time. Find another position, TE someone said, or who knows what. Let him pursue that dream elsewhere if he's QB or nothing.

It's early, shoot for the stars. Come back to this kid if you don't nail a bigger target. Running the ball though, mad respect for his skills there.
I saw the difference there as Lashlee understanding Kosi's limitations executing reads and progressions so he called a lot of 1-read schemed concepts and it caught the defense off guard. I don't know if that would've been sustainable with King because defenses adjust. Either way WRs were the issue with the deep pass game imo. King proved his deep ball prowess in 2018.

It flows back to the 'take great athletes' topic we've discussed in recruiting threads (some folks have anyhow). He's the QB, leader, likely best athlete on team. Obviously you have to do your homework and evaluate, but he looks to me like the kind of kid you take a risk on.
How does he compare to your namesake? @Ethnicsands

Advertisement
Back