2024 Jacory “C2” Barney Jr ATH From Palmetto [commits to Nebraska]

Spot on

I’m shocked. Huge fan of this kid but all I’ve even been looking at is the DL recruiting for a couple of reasons

1. We gotta flip the script on our history at the position

2. We are battling the elites of the elite for it

We will find out about the health of our recruiting and NIL through that process thinking long term

Don’t want to get too in the weeds about one guy here and there, trying to think long term macro level
I can see us not wanting to pay for a dude like Barney the way Nebraska might want to.
It’s not like we’re losing J Smith to Nebraska.

As far as the DT recruiting your spot on. Many national
Media dudes have said that the lack of dt production and recruiting at a school like Miami is a glaring example of where it’s been.

But the facts are that certain positions require a commitment that most schools just can’t compete at.

If we pull off 3 blue chip players at that position then no one here will care about Barney. And we can breathe a little bit knowing that the nil department is somewhat sound. Missing on all key targets at positions of need will say everything about where we are.

But if we’re striking out on Barney so we can just try to match what other programs are dishing out then we’re in trouble.
We talk a lot about recruiting a qb. But that dline has to be the best or the next best position group on your team.

Advertisement
Meh Doubt the kid ends up at Nebraska in the end not sure why everyone is panicking if we want him that bad im sure the staff will keep on him! lots of bigger fish out there right now that we need to change this program around

you are over reacting. Lose Jojo Trader to Nebraska and you have a problem.
I don’t think I’m overreacting, but you’re of course entitled to your viewpoint. I didn’t say it is a death knell to the program, but Miami expected him, he got a bag, Miami wouldn’t/couldn’t match.

To me, that signals an end to the honeymoon phase of we can simply recruit the way out of this mess. The fact that it isn’t Jojo Trader is exactly the point.

In the end, things are going to be fine, just like they always are.

Advertisement
There is a difference in evaluation, but there are all kinds of books written about the wisdom of a crowd for a reason. Individuals- over the long run- do tend to lose to the wisdom of a crowd (markets).

Expecting to be able to beat the market tends to end up simply being overconfidence in ones self to evaluate etc.
Thanks, Lance. This trust the evals **** after we whiff on a target has to stop. It doesn’t make up for the whiff and the unanimous blue chip guys are still most in demand and valued accordingly.

I can see us not wanting to pay for a dude like Barney the way Nebraska might want to.
It’s not like we’re losing J Smith to Nebraska.

As far as the DT recruiting your spot on. Many national
Media dudes have said that the lack of dt production and recruiting at a school like Miami is a glaring example of where it’s been.

But the facts are that certain positions require a commitment that most schools just can’t compete at.

If we pull off 3 blue chip players at that position then no one here will care about Barney. And we can breathe a little bit knowing that the nil department is somewhat sound. Missing on all key targets at positions of need will say everything about where we are.

But if we’re striking out on Barney so we can just try to match what other programs are dishing out then we’re in trouble.
We talk a lot about recruiting a qb. But that dline has to be the best or the next best position group on your team.
Not sure how it ultimately plays out but yes as much as I like Barney if we move that money to some of these other guys, then it makes sense

Just really not sure about details to make any assumptions there though personally. I don’t know enough about it but I will say I supported the conservative approach to the portal. I don’t think overpaying for certain players is a good idea

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t think I’m overreacting, but you’re of course entitled to your viewpoint. I didn’t say it is a death knell to the program, but Miami expected him, he got a bag, Miami wouldn’t/couldn’t match.

To me, that signals an end to the honeymoon phase of we can simply recruit the way out of this mess. The fact that it isn’t Jojo Trader is exactly the point.

In the end, things are going to be fine, just like they always are.
we jumped on him late, UF and Nebraska have been desperate with bags. Im more concerned with not landing kids like trader and Scott.
Recently, we got two of the best in the country at their positions in lofton and Riley and one of the most underrated in Cam Pruitt. Isiah Thomas will bounce back fine hopefully. the elite kids are in waiting mode to see if we improve on field. its just the situation we are in.

yeah mario put us in that position last yr
he sure did and now he has to get us out of it. If a couple kids like kelly, wes, etc take that next step, others will want to come here.
Our RB and OL situation is good but this hurts because outside of Colbie Young, I dont see a returning player who looks like he will definitely take that next step. Not sure if Ray Ray and Robby Washington will be physically ready by the start of season.

he sure did and now he has to get us out of it. If a couple kids like kelly, wes, etc take that next step, others will want to come here.
Our RB and OL situation is good but this hurts because outside of Colbie Young, I dont see a returning player who looks like he will definitely take that next step. Not sure if Ray Ray and Robby Washington will be physically ready by the start of season.

Ray Ray looks physically ready.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back