Jackson doesn't want to be another Chickillo

No one (including him) really knows what he'll weigh if he eats correctly and hits the weight program.

How do you know this? What's his lift numbers?

How do I know that it's a wild guess as to how he'll react to eating properly and being committed to a full-time weight lifting program? Because I know his age, height, frame, the thousands of cases of guys whose bodies react differently to nutrition mixed with heavy weight lifting, and the fact that, up until this time last year, he was a basketball player. The guy could potentially throw on 40 pounds of jack over his college career and actually increase his speed. Who knows. Taking an inflexible view (having a "top limit" as an 18 year old who hasn't had all the resources) isn't going to be optimal, though. It's not even realistic.

I was being rhetorical. I've got to believe that the kid is on some type of nutrition plan and he is not free wheeling it at Burger King every day. The kid is definitely a **** of a lot stronger than he was as a true freshman. He was never going to be explosive playing the edge in college. He wasn't that explosive in high school.

Advertisement
No one (including him) really knows what he'll weigh if he eats correctly and hits the weight program.

How do I know that it's a wild guess as to how he'll react to eating properly and being committed to a full-time weight lifting program? Because I know his age, height, frame, the thousands of cases of guys whose bodies react differently to nutrition mixed with heavy weight lifting, and the fact that, up until this time last year, he was a basketball player. The guy could potentially throw on 40 pounds of jack over his college career and actually increase his speed. Who knows. Taking an inflexible view (having a "top limit" as an 18 year old who hasn't had all the resources) isn't going to be optimal, though. It's not even realistic.

I was being rhetorical. I've got to believe that the kid is on some type of nutrition plan and he is not free wheeling it at Burger King every day. The kid is definitely a **** of a lot stronger than he was as a true freshman. He was never going to be explosive playing the edge in college. He wasn't that explosive in high school.

We have players on our current team, who've been here for years, who struggle to get proper nutrition.

But, it seems we're talking about different guys. I don't have anything really to say about Chick. I'm talking strictly about Jackson.

We have players on our current team, who've been here for years, who struggle to get proper nutrition.

But, it seems we're talking about different guys. I don't have anything really to say about Chick. I'm talking strictly about Jackson.

Okay, now with Jackson I agree he needs to top out at 250 pounds. He looks to have to relatively thin legs.

well he looked to be very promising and much more explosive as a freshman. totally agree with JackOAT. we used him incorrectly and he was never meant to play at that weight. we basically made him gain the weight because of lack of depth of big bodies. no way in **** looking at him in hs did i think he could play DE in a 3-4 scheme. wrong frame for it. at best he would be a srong side DE in a 4-3. i'm really surprised at how many of our fans doesn't understand how a 3-4 scheme works or what personnel you need to run it. same way chad thomas would be a waist as a de in a 3-4. that's why bama and the U were recruiting him as a jack lb. since we have much more depth now and if we continue to recruit well we should never see another players potential sacrificed out of position necessity.
Chickillo was never meant be 280+....When we were recruiting him, how many people you think were saying, "Man, this guy would make a great DT."

This coaching staff crapped on his career. He strikes me as the type that has an underwhelming career at the U and ends up being way more productive in the league.

He's just not as good as we believed he was in general. Not a gamechanging Dlineman. Nothing the staff can do about that one.

this guy gets it
Anyone thinking his ideal position now is a 4-3 DT is delusional.

And why is that?

In the Florida game it showed that he is not a DT, his ability to take a double team was horrible, putting him farther inside will just leave more of a gap. The problem was the lack of depth on D-line. He is an edge rusher but we had no one for that position his freshman and sophomore year. Then came the problem with tackle. I feel that if he signed here 1-2 years after he did his career would have been much different but sadly that will not happen. Right now our defense is still really a 4-3 just with a stand up end, instead of 2 DTs and a NT, it's 2 DTs a SDE and an edge rusher.

Advertisement
When is the last time we had a first team AA?

That was kind of my point. We complain about not getting 4* and 5* and then when we get them they never progress. DP was a 3* , should have been a 4*, and hasn't developed in any way, shape, or form besides physique. He's been playing the same way since his freshman year. Along with Duke and Tracy(freshman woes). Would love to see this staff take a high-level recruit and make him into an All-American, not just a good player.

It's hilarious how people view Chickillo like he was going be a monster pass rusher here at The U.

Advertisement
Chick was SUPPOSED to be a big time hustle guy who was nice as a pass rusher and pretty good as a run stopper but a guy who had the best type of motor. Before anybody rips that watch the draft at the end of may and listen to the amount of "hustle guys" you hear about on the d line that gets drafted. Now they ****ed up with the weight on Chick no doubt but he was never going to be a speed rusher

Chickillo was never meant be 280+....When we were recruiting him, how many people you think were saying, "Man, this guy would make a great DT."

This coaching staff crapped on his career. He strikes me as the type that has an underwhelming career at the U and ends up being way more productive in the league.

What the F?

No one said that who wasnt smoking crack. He was an undersized DE at 225lbs.

Implying that he can't be made faster with the weight room program and weigh over 250.

Not to mention Chickillo was never really a speedy guy, he just used his strength a lot.

He wasn't an edge rusher but he best trait was his quickness off the line and his ability to get on a OL and use his jerk move before he knew what hit em. Now he is just a slow DE.

Al's weight (eat as much as you can) program is bad for Miami. We bring em up fast not big down here.

When is the last time we had a first team AA?

That was kind of my point. We complain about not getting 4* and 5* and then when we get them they never progress. DP was a 3* , should have been a 4*, and hasn't developed in any way, shape, or form besides physique. He's been playing the same way since his freshman year. Along with Duke and Tracy(freshman woes). Would love to see this staff take a high-level recruit and make him into an All-American, not just a good player.

Denzel was an all-conference player. What do you mean he plays the exact same as he did as a freshman? Duke is an All-American if he finishes the full season. Flowers and Duke have a shot this year.

Advertisement
This required a thread? SMH at all these negative posts. Why do we badmouth our own guys? I hope JoJo's passing puts things into perspective for more than a little while.

Implying that he can't be made faster with the weight room program and weigh over 250.

Not to mention Chickillo was never really a speedy guy, he just used his strength a lot.

He wasn't an edge rusher but he best trait was his quickness off the line and his ability to get on a OL and use his jerk move before he knew what hit em. Now he is just a slow DE.

Al's weight (eat as much as you can) program is bad for Miami. We bring em up fast not big down here.

Couldn't agree more. He was an outstanding prospect in HS. Got off the line very quick and when he engaged with a tackle- he threw him off fast. The kid should of never been above 265.

Granted the added weight has slowed his game down, but his role in this scheme isn't helping him either.

Refresher: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hio-8kz9LbM

Last edited:

He's just not as good as we believed he was in general. Not a gamechanging Dlineman. Nothing the staff can do about that one.

I think he will be a great 3-4 DE in the NFL

Advertisement
Chick is a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB (Jack)

he is out of position with these clown coaches

I mean this is what he shoulda been

Chick doesn't have the athleticism or speed to be an OLB, even the jack position that rushes the passer. Could you imagine him having to cover in space. I love the kid and his heart and work ethic, but it would be a nightmare.

What the F?

No one said that who wasnt smoking crack. He was an undersized DE at 225lbs.

exactly my point

Advertisement
Back