Ivins: Now what on CB's

Office politics are office politics, regardless of if they take place in a cubicle farm or on a football field.

A lot of ya'll forget that at the end of the day, football is a job to these coaches and all of the same shortcomings of jobs with bureaucracy, politicking, Nepotism, Fall guys, etc. is going to happen the same as any office. None of this should surprise ya'll and I'd bet it happens on pretty much every team to some level.

Advertisement
These last few pages have been eye-opening.

I think a lot of the misplaced blame doesn’t come from personal vendettas towards X or Y coach, but really just from doing our best to make an opinion on little to no understanding.

I hope those of you with knowledge of the inner-workings of the defensive staff continue to let us know the power dynamic, without of course relinquishing too much info.

Some people will stay being blinded, but most people here are really just looking to understand because no matter which coach you got it out for, we can all agree there is something missing here and at the end of the day that falls under the umbrella of one guy.

These last few pages have been eye-opening.

I think a lot of the misplaced blame doesn’t come from personal vendettas towards X or Y coach, but really just from doing our best to make an opinion on little to no understanding.

I hope those of you with knowledge of the inner-workings of the defensive staff continue to let us know the power dynamic, without of course relinquishing too much info.

Some people will stay being blinded, but most people here are really just looking to understand because no matter which coach you got it out for, we can all agree there is something missing here and at the end of the day that falls under the umbrella of one guy.

The problem that Miami has (not a unique problem, but probably larger in SoFla than anywhere else) is that there are a ton of very "all-or-nothing" opinions.

If a kid does not get an offer to Miami...the ENTIRE PROGRAM spurned him. Nobody ever talks about "this coach wanted the kid, but this other coach overruled him."

When Uncle Luke's favorite kids weren't named starters at UM or didn't get offers to UM, he tried to burn down our entire program.

When talented freshmen don't start on Day 1, our fanbase invents the myth of "Miami doesn't play freshmen". There's never any analysis of whether the individual players have learned the plays or gained the weight. Back when Soldinger wouldn't play young running backs until they learned how to block, it was a "bragging" point of pride at UM. Now, if an 18 year old kid isn't elevated to starter, we call for the coaches to be fired.

There's room to criticize our coaches and there is room to doubt our coaches. But I firmly believe they are doing everything they can to win (and thus maintain their jobs).

Our coaches make evaluation mistakes. And sometimes they have positional biases (wanting tall CBs for example) that are not dissimilar to Shalala hiring "up-and-comers" to be our head football coaches.

But we have to move forward and not behave as if every single past mistake or tendency will be repeated indefinitely.

I'm not defending Rumph, if he dies, he dies. But he is not 100% responsible for the inaccurate myth that certain porsters have created.

Seriously?

Look, I don't know if you have given thought to this, but a lot of HS kids (particularly in less well-off neighborhoods) do not exactly have great healthcare coverage, let alone a lengthy medical history related to the heart. ****, one of my good friends from undergrad/law school died from an undiagnosed heart condition, and he was making serious money and had great healthcare.

When we recruit these kids, we are not allowed to give them some sort of multi-day physical examination handled by a team of doctors. Sadly, this is why a lot of these kids (not just at UM) get diagnosed with career-ending conditions that may well have been present earlier in their lives.
I played one year of football in high-school but had to choose martial arts over football. I remember getting a physical but didn't even think about the level of care.

I couldn't imagine football being your way out, being committed to a top flight school and then getting that kind of news.

Advertisement
I played one year of football in high-school but had to choose martial arts over football. I remember getting a physical but didn't even think about the level of care.

I couldn't imagine football being your way out, being committed to a top flight school and then getting that kind of news.

Yeah, it's brutal. There are a lot of head, neck, and heart issues that are never properly diagnosed between the ages of 1 and 18.

Finally, kids get to a major university with a great med school and they get medical exams and treatment far superior to what they had before.

Again, IF a kid even has a medical chart.
Yeah it's obviously if. But before we really invest time into a kid u get a pretty detailed physical. But u make a good point bout healthcare and inner city schools. Even kids that have had access to undiagnosed for multiple things.

As per medical records and required physicals for high school athletes, there are certainly high school coaches who are...lackadaisical when it comes to medical and insurance paperwork for players. Not that they’re purposely playing a player that shouldn’t play but they’ll play guys or at least attempt to (if school administrators don’t step in) who haven’t turned in all the prerequisites. Not saying this is commonplace but I know for a fact a few prominent coaches in Broward county have.

As per medical records and required physicals for high school athletes, there are certainly high school coaches who are...lackadaisical when it comes to medical and insurance paperwork for players. Not that they’re purposely playing a player that shouldn’t play but they’ll play guys or at least attempt to (if school administrators don’t step in) who haven’t turned in all the prerequisites. Not saying this is commonplace but I know for a fact a few prominent coaches in Broward county have.

Yes. And the "required physicals" are usually not nearly as in-depth when it comes to the "harder to spot/diagnose" heart and spinal weaknesses.

Advertisement
The problem that Miami has (not a unique problem, but probably larger in SoFla than anywhere else) is that there are a ton of very "all-or-nothing" opinions.

If a kid does not get an offer to Miami...the ENTIRE PROGRAM spurned him. Nobody ever talks about "this coach wanted the kid, but this other coach overruled him."

When Uncle Luke's favorite kids weren't named starters at UM or didn't get offers to UM, he tried to burn down our entire program.

When talented freshmen don't start on Day 1, our fanbase invents the myth of "Miami doesn't play freshmen". There's never any analysis of whether the individual players have learned the plays or gained the weight. Back when Soldinger wouldn't play young running backs until they learned how to block, it was a "bragging" point of pride at UM. Now, if an 18 year old kid isn't elevated to starter, we call for the coaches to be fired.

There's room to criticize our coaches and there is room to doubt our coaches. But I firmly believe they are doing everything they can to win (and thus maintain their jobs).

Our coaches make evaluation mistakes. And sometimes they have positional biases (wanting tall CBs for example) that are not dissimilar to Shalala hiring "up-and-comers" to be our head football coaches.

But we have to move forward and not behave as if every single past mistake or tendency will be repeated indefinitely.

I'm not defending Rumph, if he dies, he dies. But he is not 100% responsible for the inaccurate myth that certain porsters have created.
I agree on almost all fronts, with the exception being that we should not act as if past mistakes will be repeated indefinitely. There’s a history of repeating mistakes, so in my eyes until the pattern changes, we know certain staff members’ tendencies (or at least what their tendencies appear to be).

I fully agree this in not wholly on Rumph - I actually think that if he went to another school, they’d sell his résumé better.

And another thing you hit spot on, is context is lost on many people. Whether it’s recruiting, playing time, etc, people view it in absolutes.

Either way, no matter what side someone is on, the bottom line is Manny hasn’t fixed the issue whether it’s Rumph’s deficiencies, his own, or a combination of the two.

We need adults and proven coaches on this defensive staff so bad. This year we finally have those 2 components on O and, although we are far from great, it has fixed so much for us already.

This staff has been together for 4/5 years, all the players were their evals and recruits, anywhere we look on the back 7 we see problems on the rotation or techniques breakdowns
It’s alarming that we don’t have a single coach on our staff that has nfl experience

Advertisement
I think the majority of us feel that way. The defensive staff is very under qualified. The only experience has been DL coaches who keep leaving. That being said, until this year it’s been the defense that has played much better than the offense. Hopefully Diaz makes changes on defense like he did offensively. I don’t expect him to hit the nail on the head but even if he hits on a couple hires it’s good enough to start being relevant.
Soooooo. Lets keep it g. Who do you think manny chooses to blame this on and makes his scape goat. Who can you see being fired on this defense? Ill give you reality as always for the people who can digest it. Banda, patke, baker... All yes men and most importantly all his people and his proteges... Where's that coaching tree headed? That leaves you stroud & rumph. Mike probably will be let go since he doesn't just leave on his own. That means one more yes man joining the staph cause he doesnt take on widely respected coaches who can question him. He takes on people who fall in line. So who does he replace him with? Stroud kids love and his unit overall is slowly starting to look like a strength on the defense. Issues with it are from people who understand football and understand the lack of tackle play is costing us heavily up the middle because our lb are a basic unit. Funny part to that is all the same people who were defending the job mandy was doing as a lb corch saying our room depth etc wasn't a problem because we had the exact people who are playing now already in place. Lol but hey I won't harp on that laugher. So you believe mandy is gonna ever fire the bartender(haven't figured out yet he's a more successful here ball and chain than alfraud had),fire baker who he made such a big deal about being his protege when he hired him or MAYBE he goes with patke cause he has the lesser link to him... Is what it is. Just hope the kids coming in will have enough of a work ethic to thrive together outside of these coaches.

DSD - I want to ask you one question because you have first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of the team, know several of the coaches personally and actually played the game at a high-level.

What are your thoughts on Diaz as a defensive coordinator? I'm not asking about Diaz the HC or Diaz the recruiter or Diaz the developer of talent or Diaz the leader of young men. I just want your take on his approach to defensive football. His scheme. What he's good at or bad at. His ability to put together sound defensive game plans and make in-game adjustments, etc. In other words Manny the defensive coach.

Thanks in advance.
I get it. I know what youre saying. For me I'm not much for him for several reasons. #1 his scheme doesn't really allow for success with adaptability. It's based upon flashing from the edges and the backers. Blitz packages are easily picked up by any well coached line with communication (especially when we've been struggling at tackle) people may not have noticed the success of the line last few weeks has been based upon better tackle play and some consistency out of nesta and even the non dancing tackle from ny. He's getting better when it relates to being able to make in game adjustments. But he's still seriously lacking in that capacity. My main issue with him as a dc is he puts no value on several positions which in turn don't allow us to develop substance. This level of defense is only capable against certain levels of opponents (consistently)honestly because the system doesn't allow us to simply line up and dominate the man on the opposite side of the ball with aggression. We win based on speed and misdirection. That isn't as valuable against better line play.

Soooooo. Lets keep it g. Who do you think manny chooses to blame this on and makes his scape goat. Who can you see being fired on this defense? Ill give you reality as always for the people who can digest it. Banda, patke, baker... All yes men and most importantly all his people and his proteges... Where's that coaching tree headed? That leaves you stroud & rumph. Mike probably will be let go since he doesn't just leave on his own. That means one more yes man joining the staph cause he doesnt take on widely respected coaches who can question him. He takes on people who fall in line. So who does he replace him with? Stroud kids love and his unit overall is slowly starting to look like a strength on the defense. Issues with it are from people who understand football and understand the lack of tackle play is costing us heavily up the middle because our lb are a basic unit. Funny part to that is all the same people who were defending the job mandy was doing as a lb corch saying our room depth etc wasn't a problem because we had the exact people who are playing now already in place. Lol but hey I won't harp on that laugher. So you believe mandy is gonna ever fire the bartender(haven't figured out yet he's a more successful here ball and chain than alfraud had),fire baker who he made such a big deal about being his protege when he hired him or MAYBE he goes with patke cause he has the lesser link to him... Is what it is. Just hope the kids coming in will have enough of a work ethic to thrive together outside of these coaches.
Ok so let’s keep it G!!! I get it you have an agenda and you don’t like Manny. But the bottom line is Manny is the head coach he can fire Rumph if he wants to and he doesn’t have to put on this dog and pony show that you’re referring to. I’m still waiting for you to tell what Rumph’s job description??? Because he’s definitely not teaching these CB’s proper technique.

Advertisement
Ok so let’s keep it G!!! I get it you have an agenda and you don’t like Manny. But the bottom line is Manny is the head coach he can fire Rumph if he wants to and he doesn’t have to put on this dog and pony show that you’re referring to. I’m still waiting for you to tell what Rumph’s job description??? Because he’s definitely not teaching these CB’s proper technique.
My agenda u *** clown is seeing the university I bled for GET BACK TO WINNING ON A NATIONAL LEVEL... What can't morons like u comprehend? We aren't built to win consistently against better teams. That's plain to see for anyone with a. Clue. I don't care about manny one way or the other. He's no different from any coach we've had over the last twenty years from a results perspective. Just far more of a reach for anyone besides Coker ever here. Guess you have trouble with reading comprehension cause I've said OUR ENTIRE DEFENSIVE STAPH SHOULD BE FIRED... Guess what. Mike who y'all say I always blindly defend is one of those defensive coaches I think it's time to let go. I just understand why I'm saying it. Because he's reached a disconnect for multiple purposes and his room as well as all others is regressing... Period. I don't give 3 ***** about being 7-1 when we only played one team worth **** and they mollywhopped us. I care about nothing but being in a position to win a national championship year in and year out. Not because we play a joke schedule but because we have a dominant team. If you can't help us with that then yes my agenda says get ****ed and go coach at temple where you ****** belong. Simple ain't it. And losers like you who can see clear as day this path will never lead us to beating national powers consistently yet argue for why it should stay should just be aborted chase winning ain't for the weak. U wanna argue behind a keyboard yet can't see the people u arguing for go out they way to decieve you. That's like knowing ur wife is ****** but ur happy atleast u can't see...

Oh and btw why didn’t he hire yes men on the offense?

DSD.some of these clueless people here are just young cats who started watching the canes the last 10 or so years and have never seen a dominant canes team except for youtube classics.We're 7-1 and that's all they care about,they're happy and don't care about all the problems old timers like us see.Time will tell but like you I don't see this ending well.

05FC7ABF-01AB-4FFB-B6DB-136702AEF52F.gif

Advertisement
Back