Ivins: Now what on CB's

Trust me, Tee knows. Multiple reasons why he knows, but he knows.

Look, I'm not saying that Rumph needs to stay forever, and I'm not saying that he is our best on-field coach ever. But the MYTH that certain porsters have created about Rumph is inaccurate. And any time any of us try to bring truth to the picture, we are slammed as "Rumph apologists".

Rumph has a good eye and can teach, but is not a good recruiter. Banda is a bad scout who can teach and is a good recruiter.

But, yeah, when they disagree...and when we get stuck in that cycle which handcuffs us from offering guys...it's not good.
I actually view this as sad. Every man/coach deserves to be evaluated fairly. This man’s coaching reputation is on the line and we’re all assuming he is to blame when he is not. That is a jv move by manny diaz. I view him as a jv coach so this doesn’t surprise me. But it’s extremely wrong no matter how you slice it. If I was Rumph I would think about taking a step down to a mid Major before hopefully getting back into p5 after a couple years. Sounds like a toxic environment to me

Advertisement
Even if someone on staff wanted to pursue Wiggins, that's a farfetched recruitment and I'm not putting much stock in it.

Nyland Green, on the other hand, seems like a no-brainer to pursue.

Advertisement
but I am saying that there is no way in **** we just dropped Burns out of nowhere without SOMETHING giving us some assurance on why we needed to do that.

Yeah, logic would definitely dictate this stance. However, the lack of evidence to back this up, and several years worth of evidence of the demonsrable recruiting incompetence of our CBs coach are the reason why folks are justifiably pessimistic.

I want to believe you're right, but I'm sceptical.

Yeap & Banda nixed those also.

Nyland Green or Wiggins wont be coming here regardless how hard we recruited them. The az kid is/was a tweener and SAFETY prospect and we definately landed better kids there.

Banda nixed appropriately on those.

Why? It is weird that these are guys that were in the south, so not a huge expense to recruit, and he has been ok targeting guys that outsiders perceive as long shots (Tae, James Williams, etc..). If you need 2-3 guys at a spot, you can't just recruit a total of 2-3 guys. It does not make a whole lot of sense.
James Williams wasnt a long shot..he was a commit. Tae neither as we landed his relative.

Those 2 guys are DEFINATE LOngshots

Advertisement
I actually view this as sad. Every man/coach deserves to be evaluated fairly. This man’s coaching reputation is on the line and we’re all assuming he is to blame when he is not. That is a jv move by manny diaz. I view him as a jv coach so this doesn’t surprise me. But it’s extremely wrong no matter how you slice it. If I was Rumph I would think about taking a step down to a mid Major before hopefully getting back into p5 after a couple years. Sounds like a toxic environment to me
Exactly if they don't respect his opinion he needs to move on.Makes it hard to believe the way he's not trusted as far as recruiting and evals that yet Diaz offered him the DC gig twice.

Trust me, Tee knows. Multiple reasons why he knows, but he knows.

Look, I'm not saying that Rumph needs to stay forever, and I'm not saying that he is our best on-field coach ever. But the MYTH that certain porsters have created about Rumph is inaccurate. And any time any of us try to bring truth to the picture, we are slammed as "Rumph apologists".

Rumph has a good eye and can teach, but is not a good recruiter. Banda is a bad scout who can teach and is a good recruiter.

But, yeah, when they disagree...and when we get stuck in that cycle which handcuffs us from offering guys...it's not good.
Alright, so everything and everyone sucks?

Just kidding, I think we handcuff ourselves based on the priorities we set.

I
Yeah, logic would definitely dictate this stance. However, the lack of evidence to back this up, and several years worth of evidence of the demonsrable recruiting incompetence of our CBs coach are the reason why folks are justifiably pessimistic.

I want to believe you're right, but I'm sceptical.

Go back and pull my posts from when Jason Marshall was pushed to the Gaytors' money. I said it then, I'm fine with Manny going into stealth mode for the remainder of this recruiting class. It's not like we have a ton of "undecided" Miami leans left. From here on out, a lot of the focus will be on flipping guys. So I am FINE with having no "evidence" of what we are doing in recruiting.

Sorry, and this is not directed at you, just in general...but there was a day, not so long ago, when there was no internet and our coaches recruited and built relationships without TMZ Sports-type reporting. I'm fine with going back to the old ways. I'm not going to cry every five minutes because I don't know who we are recruiting.

PARTICULARLY DUE TO COVID, a lot of kids will be hesitant to publicly flip on a school to which they have been committed. There's going to be some hurt feelings over the next two months.

I don't really give a ****e about the "pessimism" and "skepticism" of soft-shouldered mopey Miami fans. I just want us to sign a couple of cornerbacks. I don't care if people want to make "Rumph special" jokes. We certainly have issues that need to be addressed, but I am fine with the last 4 or 5 spots in the class being filled quietly. I think we are all sick of tweeting pictures of explosions and whatnot.

Advertisement
Dont mean to pry and all but hearing u talk about cooney like that is suprising to me he was one of my coaches at Southridge before he left for um and he was and is a guy that players loved and could talk to about anything and would help kids who were struggling on or off the field.Sorry u had a bad experience with him hearing that shocked me
For me this is a dead horse. But it actually lines up exactly with what I've seen from him. He takes it to the bus for HIS PLAYERS... If you ain't one of HIS PLAYERS he actively goes out of his way to show that. Only thing I want him to realize (and him and I have had this conversation multiple times) is he's no longer cooney from the ridge. He's now cooney who's lead recruiter for university of miami. That means he's supposed to be on board with ALL OF THESE KIDS... I know mark and dee definitely share the same opinions as you.

James Williams wasnt a long shot..he was a commit. Tae neither as we landed his relative.

Valid, but I guess I meant more we went after them and convinced them. They may not have been longshots, but they were not layups either. In either case, the issue with our CB room is not skipping on these two guys. It is not pressing on the Knowles, Charles Brantley types

He has a problem with Cooney and a majority of the staff so while I'm sure he has a lot of inside info being a former player there's also been stories of coaches pointing guns at his nephew multiple times and Rumph being offered/turning down the DC job twice which seem pretty far fetched.
Partner if youre gonna tell people what I have to say then please atleast try and do it accurately. Unless of course you're going to be one of those people who simply wants to portray something that's not accurate. #1 cooney and I had an issue in the past over something he said on a phone call that one of the heads of the army all american game recorded and sent to me. What he said about the kids on that team was inexcusable and I'm not going into it again as it's pointless & in the past. Not one other person on this staff do I have a personal issue with and I've said that multiple times. Doesn't mean I'm fine of them as coaches but no personal issue. #2 not once did I say that my nephew had anything pointed at him. In reality if that was the case, wouldn't be conversations had. Simply would be action taken. Several other people on here are aware of that situation as they are family members of players that have recently transferred out or are currently on the team as well. The funny part to the rumph conversation constantly is u scoff at that idea while you have a bartender as co dc... Guess that doesn't sink in for you. You ever get by greentree just ask banda for a buttery nipple. Y'all simply refuse to comprehend that the dc position here is basically a complimentary position. Past that what's far fetched for you is your choice my friend. But lord you must have a sensitive pallet. if you think that's something just be glad it's all you're aware of.

Advertisement

At what point was Tae not a long shot other than when he first committed as a freshman or sophmore? That's because Lo was committed here (like we did so right by Lo) even though he transferred out before Tae signed anything? Hmmm. Ok... Also it's crazy that y'all put a standard onto any of our coaches and then complain about the kids that come in if y'all saying we shouldn't ALWAYS SHOOT OUR SHOT with the best kids possible. Personally I don't know either of those kids as of now so I can't say if they're long shots or not. But if they're locals and theyre good talents then why shouldn't we try to land them here? Especially if they're locals meaning next to none of the budget would have to be allocated on them?

For me this is a dead horse. But it actually lines up exactly with what I've seen from him. He takes it to the bus for HIS PLAYERS... If you ain't one of HIS PLAYERS he actively goes out of his way to show that. Only thing I want him to realize (and him and I have had this conversation multiple times) is he's no longer cooney from the ridge. He's now cooney who's lead recruiter for university of miami. That means he's supposed to be on board with ALL OF THESE KIDS... I know mark and dee definitely share the same opinions as you.
I still talk to him I won't mention u if u prefer but I'll definitely address it csz I remember him talking about miami as a fan and how he wants to build better than we ever were maybe he forget his roots and his goal.

Exactly if they don't respect his opinion he needs to move on.Makes it hard to believe the way he's not trusted as far as recruiting and evals that yet Diaz offered him the DC gig twice.
lol
At what point was Tae not a long shot other than when he first committed as a freshman or sophmore? That's because Lo was committed here (like we did so right by Lo) even though he transferred out before Tae signed anything? Hmmm. Ok... Also it's crazy that y'all put a standard onto any of our coaches and then complain about the kids that come in if y'all saying we shouldn't ALWAYS SHOOT OUR SHOT with the best kids possible. Personally I don't know either of those kids as of now so I can't say if they're long shots or not. But if they're locals and theyre good talents then why shouldn't we try to land them here? Especially if they're locals meaning next to none of the budget would have to be allocated on them?

You cant be a long shot if you previously commit.

The longshots are the ATL kids that were listed. Not the locals. I think Wiggins/Nyland Green are longshots.

I also think certain out of state kids that show LEGIT interest should be recruited...for example the ones you tried to put them on. And legit interest for me means visiting on OWN DIME before even getting an official visit,etc.

I still talk to him I won't mention u if u prefer but I'll definitely address it csz I remember him talking about miami as a fan and how he wants to build better than we ever were maybe he forget his roots and his goal.
He seemed to be cool the two times i saw him. He was the guy greeting everyone that comes to the camp and seemed genuine. He was plugged in. But i get what @dsddcane is saying too...Pope and Wiggins are literally his guys...hes known them from pre teens. So may have a bias to them.

Cooney seems good in the spot he is at on staff imo.

Advertisement
Back