Its Official: Mario is building a Poly Pipeline

Advertisement
SJ Alofaituli specifically mentioned Penei Sewell and Francis Mauigoa in his commitment video.

Coach Mirabal has a proven blueprint that players in this community trust. Itā€™s similar to Alabama and South Florida receivers after Amari Cooper. All it takes is one prototype to start the trend.

Interesting reading in the previous "We Need to Recruit Samoans thread". In particular this quote from @Rellyrell. Trust is the keyword here
The reason being is that the Polynesian community is a tight knit community, thatā€™s big on family & familiarity.
I admonished us to hire a Polynesian coach on our staff or a coach thatā€™s had success in recruiting Polynesian players before (b/c he could name drop). That would be the only way we can break through.
šŸ‘‡šŸ½

Another great quote from @Memnon about the impact/importance of a potential Poly pipeline

Polynesians from Hawaii, Cali & Utah are some of the strongest & best trench players there are on both OL & DL.
The problem is its very difficult to convince them to separate from their family & go to school so far away, family is the most important part of their culture & they rarely ever just leave the West Coast regions to play elsewhere.
It sucks for us though because Samoans & Tongans are phenomenal Football players.

šŸ‘‡šŸ½

Advertisement
One last quote from that thread. @DMoney , you indicated that there were two natural headwinds working against us when comes to recruiting Polys. Can you share any insights on Mario/Big Joe and Mirabal have overcome them?

We are too far and they donā€™t like the humidity.

Prior to the big DL close in 2024, the Big Joe slander was hot and heavy for a good bit. Even going into year 3 there's some concerns on the interior because of the lack of size and upside but Scott, Blount, and Artavious hopefully changes that. There were valid critiques about what he brought to the table.

With that said, I'm convinced Big Joe was brought here for to turn a thread like this into several dozens of pages. It wasn't to be that elite ace recruiter for the trench monsters coming out of traditional states like FL, GA, TX, etc. It was to give the Poly community a guy they could lean on that is well-known in the community and can be trusted.

Even if he only brings in 1-2 guys a year, the hire is worth especially when you consider the new coaching rules that are soon to come. More coaches, analysts to help with recruiting your traditional big boys and refine technique. And let Big Joe focus on the Poly kids.

Some absolutely large humans those polys are

I canā€™t fathom how many Costco rotisserie chickens they can put down

One last quote from that thread. @DMoney , you indicated that there were two natural headwinds working against us when comes to recruiting Polys. Can you share any insights on Mario/Big Joe and Mirabal have overcome them?

We are too far and they donā€™t like the humidity.

Mario, Big Joe and money.

Most of the recruiting rules pre-2022 changed when we paid Mario $8 million and had the ability to pay players big money.

With more money comes an increased ability to relocate families. The Mauigoas are here.

Advertisement
Interesting reading in the previous "We Need to Recruit Samoans thread". In particular this quote from @Rellyrell. Trust is the keyword here
The reason being is that the Polynesian community is a tight knit community, thatā€™s big on family & familiarity.
I admonished us to hire a Polynesian coach on our staff or a coach thatā€™s had success in recruiting Polynesian players before (b/c he could name drop). That would be the only way we can break through.
šŸ‘‡šŸ½

Man, all I try to do is provide information. What ppl do w/ it is up to them.

Advertisement
Man, all I try to do is provide information. What ppl do w/ it is up to them.
tipping derek jeter GIF

Notice the T-shirt on pops. Loyalty, Respect Samoan

Poly recruits value loyalty (witness SJ's pops t-shirt on his visit to Miami). Alas, I don't think a flip is a possibility even for Mario here.

Mario went on a flipping binge last cycle, but he couldn't convince Isendre ā€œPapaā€ Ahfua to flip even though Jimbo was fired.

Time to turn out the lights on this recruitment.

I Got This No GIF by DreamWorks Animation

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back