It's not just "size" we need

umhurricane2511

Always Faithful
We need guys who are just flat out powerful and explosive.

Look at LSU's Dline. They aren't the biggest guys, but they run **** in the trenches. They're fast, strong, explosive, powerful, etc.

Advertisement
I'll say it again: I fear that coach Golden will turn us into Penn State. A program filled with big, bulky, middle income kids from nice families that can go 9-2 every year and get blown by the SEC teams they play due to a complete lack of speed.

SFBay, are you saying that you're afraid that Foldin' (sorry, but I have expectations to live down to, even on this board) is going to ignore the speed in South Florida?
Personally, I don't him going to his Northeast roots and tapping into his Northeast connections to bring down a few linemen and linebackers. There's talent up there.
But unless I'm blinder than usual (possible, and keep in mind, I'm not defending this man who I think is a false prophet), I see him going after the local kids, and if he's going after the local kids, well, there's speed in dem dar hils, no?
For instance, I think Foldin' would've looked beyond the measurables and seen what Cutcliffe saw in Varner and Vernon. Can't say I wouldn't have minded seeing those two in a 'Canes uniform.

Golden played for PSU back in the day and saw first hand the Florida speed Miami teams play with.

He's not dumb.

My fear is that our shatty fanbase will not give this coach enough support to assist him in making this team great again. Show up for games, fundraisers, Cane walk, scrimmages, act like this is the program you love. It's going to take a little time, no doubt. But being another pain in the *** isn't what our squad needs. There are definate points of concern, sure. But to act like our coach is negating those issues is stupid. The guy is on top of things. It's just a matter of time.

Advertisement
I'll say it again: I fear that coach Golden will turn us into Penn State. A program filled with big, bulky, middle income kids from nice families that can go 9-2 every year and get blown by the SEC teams they play due to a complete lack of speed.

except that 22 of ours 26 commits are from Florida

How about some DLinemen that can STAY HEALTHY?????

We can't get a full year out of any of our half way decent DT's which just compounds the depth problems that are killing us.

Look at LSU's Dline. They aren't the biggest guys, but they run **** in the trenches. They're fast, strong, explosive, powerful, etc.

I agree to a certain extent. We do have some softies on this team for sure.

But LSU has some strong kids on that DL and at backer.

For instance, our avergae LBer size this season was 6'2 217 pounds (not including the freshmen beasts we picked up last year + throwing in Marcus Robinson who played OLB at times)

LSU averages 6'2" 233 pounds at LBer

We need to get bigger, get stronger, get angrier

LSU's little guy at safety would make Jojo look silly in the weight room.

We need bigger, stonger right now. Faster will always be here in South Fla.

There are plenty of slow, bulky kids in Florida. My take has nothing to do with the state in which these kids reside.

Advertisement

There are plenty of slow, bulky kids in Florida. My take has nothing to do with the state in which these kids reside.

how can anybody look at our class and call it 'slow'?

For instance, our avergae LBer size this season was 6'2 217 pounds (not including the freshmen beasts we picked up last year + throwing in Marcus Robinson who played OLB at times)

LB is definitely a position we need to recruit bigger. But we still need power and explosion as a team.

Also, our DL just doesnt look agile at all to me. Very little change of direction ability. If you look at LSU, FSU, UF, UGA, etc., those guys not only break through the LOS, but they also run very well laterally to disrupt the plays.

LB is definitely a position we need to recruit bigger. But we still need power and explosion as a team.

Also, our DL just doesnt look agile at all to me. Very little change of direction ability. If you look at LSU, FSU, UF, UGA, etc., those guys not only break through the LOS, but they also run very well laterally to disrupt the plays.

And to me that has more to do with poor strength and conditioning work. We don't just have small players at certain positions, we have players that don't explode when they tackle, instead they try arm tackles and get run through.

Also note that our best playing DT this year was Porter and he didnt play until the final 2 games. Plug was very good all year but **** he was wearing down.

We need Forston's big marshmellow *** back with Luther Robinson and Ojomo needs to put on at least 10 pounds. Add Grimble and Pierre in the mix and we should be OK barring major injuries.........again

Advertisement

Duke, Dillard, Angelo JL, Lewis, Waters, Hoilett, Witt, Burgess, Kirby, Northrup, Leggett, Dortch, Davis, Jenkins.... I don't see that as a trend with this class or the last class - Paul, Perryman, Dorsett, Grooms, Ricardo Williams, Finnie...

These kids can run.

Or are you saying you think we're going to get them here and make them bloated with bulk?

Duke, Dillard, Angelo JL, Lewis, Waters, Hoilett, Witt, Burgess, Kirby, Northrup, Leggett, Dortch, Davis, Jenkins.... I don't see that as a trend with this class or the last class - Paul, Perryman, Dorsett, Grooms, Ricardo Williams, Finnie...

These kids can run.

Or are you saying you think we're going to get them here and make them bloated with bulk?

most of these kids are already pretty big save for Duke who is just fawking fast and elusive

These kids can run.

I too like this class. My take above is a bit of a "projected possible concern" with coach Golden. I see everything he's doing and it sure looks like Penn State's path to market...and that concerns me. We are not penn state, nor do I believe we can win national championships with that mindset at UM.

Advertisement

These kids can run.

More than Penn State, Golden seems to be more along the Parcells, Belichick, Saban model. Bigger in the front 7 than the LSU model.

We need violent guys on defense. We have 2-3 players who actually hit.. Everybody else slaps knees.

SFBay, are you saying that you're afraid that Foldin' (sorry, but I have expectations to live down to, even on this board) is going to ignore the speed in South Florida?
Personally, I don't him going to his Northeast roots and tapping into his Northeast connections to bring down a few linemen and linebackers. There's talent up there.
But unless I'm blinder than usual (possible, and keep in mind, I'm not defending this man who I think is a false prophet), I see him going after the local kids, and if he's going after the local kids, well, there's speed in dem dar hils, no?
For instance, I think Foldin' would've looked beyond the measurables and seen what Cutcliffe saw in Varner and Vernon. Can't say I wouldn't have minded seeing those two in a 'Canes uniform.

The real problem here is that development of OL and DL kids on the interior is weak in SoFla. Point of interest here is that there are few to no leagues which take kids in the 7th and 8th grade over 155 lbs and develop them as linemen. They simply DON'T play in many neighborhoods until they get to HS. In the Midwest, leagues all around have a striper rule, where any kid over 165 gets a stripe on the helmet, plays line and only 2 big guys over 225 or above that size on the line at a time...not next to each other as well. There are some offensive lines in Chicago at the 8th grade level who have been playing for 4 yrs and the average weight is 215. In 8th grade.

You do know that Duke Johnson played G in junior high don't you? Pretty ridiculous.

So getting large kids from the midwest and NE is what he will do, unlike your ridiculous opinion, based only in your diaper experience playing Madden in your living room and likely have never played beyond 2nd grade midget ball. Keep living the dream though. The NFL awaits your brilliance.

Advertisement
Back