Its Big Game hunting season now

Advertisement
If we take 4 WR’s and one of them is Smith who can play some RB in a pinch, why the need to take Amari? Especially considering spots are most likely going to be in short supply and we probably look to take two RB’s in 2022 when the RB class is much deeper in FL. And if in the end, spots are not in short supply or hot demand, then that most likely means we had another rough year on the field. We can then assume the class will probably be in chaos anyways along with coaching changes on the horizon at that point...
We need a true RB, not someone that can play the position in a pinch. Amari may not be a 3 down back, but he fills the need for a true RB. We can't go into 2021 with 3 true RBs

We need a true RB, not someone that can play the position in a pinch. Amari may not be a 3 down back, but he fills the need for a true RB. We can't go into 2021 with 3 true RBs
Well technically it would be 3.5 RB’s if Breshad does decide to hop on board and most likely 4.5 because it’s doubtful that Burns and Harris are both gone in 2021. Now if they miss on some of their high end targets, then it would make more sense to bring Amari into the fold down the stretch imo...

Advertisement
Last cycle Penn State had 27, Maryland had 27, Auburn had 26, Texas AM had 26.

Again, you have provided no context. No explanations.

Stop acting as if these schools have broken the rules, or discovered some loophole.

I have no idea if they undersigned in the prior year and have countbacks. I have no idea if they had mid-year graduates who qualified them for the exception.

The point is (and I am not being critical of you, personally), we have a never-ending parade of CIS porsters who come here swearing that every other school on the planet is oversigning.

The rules have been explained many, many times.

1. You get 25 ICs per year.

2. If you didn't use all your ICs in a prior year, you can use them in the next year (commonly called "countbacks", since a current signee counts back to a prior year's IC slot).

3. You MIGHT be able to get one or two "mid-year graduation replacement" exceptions. Don't assume you have any. Don't assume you will have any. The only one who really knows if we have any would be the coaches. Amateur IC "gurus" often misinterpret this rule to count any December grad, but it must be a December grad who exhausts eligibility and leaves school. If a kid graduates in December, but still has eligibility, you can't get an exception slot.

4. You can't "count forward" with recruits. Anyone who starts the school year "early" (January or summer) counts for that upcoming window anyhow, so it's not some kind of magical exception.

5. Blueshirting is when you DO NOT recruit a kid, and you DO NOT sign them to an LOI or FAA and you do not give them any athletic financial aid until the fall begins. This is rare and difficult and tricky and not for the faint of heart. Just because we got it done with Jarrid Williams doesn't mean it is the new normal.

6. PWOs can get athletic financial aid after ONE YEAR and will not count against IC numbers. So if a kid pays his own way (or qualifies for a lot of UM need-based financial aid), he can hang out for a year and then go on scholarship after that.

Anyhow, saying "X school signed Y number of recruits" doesn't really mean anything (it's also possible that not all of those 27 signed a piece of paper). It doesn't establish that Ped State got some special treatment from the NCAA. People need to stop comparing our situation to everyone else's situation. We are all subject to the same rules. Manny is doing a **** GOOD job of working every angle to get back to 85 recruited scholarship players while still being subject to the IC rules.

You know what I NEVER EVER see? CIS porsters running around when Penn State or Texas A&M only sign 23 kids in one cycle.

Ok mate that makes complete sense. I think folks are just trying to find a way to gather additional talent given our restrictions. And not PWO wise either.

I hear you. I respect that and I empathize with that.

I don't enjoy telling people that "we only have 24 ICs left for next year", but it's true. I wish we could get back to 85, but it's tough under the newer rules.

I just get frustrated when porsters think we can take errrrbody, or when they falsely claim that Manny (or a prior head coach) is not using all of the scholarships available to give.

Omg thats exactly why I was saying can we count some of these kids forward to the 22 cycle and take a bigger 21 class.

We. Can't.

We maxed out the 2020-2021 year, and we cannibalized one of the 2021-2022 slots for Jarrid Williams.

You can't just arbitrarily "count forward".

Advertisement
I hear you. I respect that and I empathize with that.

I don't enjoy telling people that "we only have 24 ICs left for next year", but it's true. I wish we could get back to 85, but it's tough under the newer rules.

I just get frustrated when porsters think we can take errrrbody, or when they falsely claim that Manny (or a prior head coach) is not using all of the scholarships available to give.
Agreed TOC, agreed. Like you said, and have clarified numerous times; we have 24 IC’s for the 2021 class. I appreciate you always taking the time to set the record straight - especially the blueshirt rule.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Even though were in a good spot with WR’s, add Mario Williams to the list. This is a guy that we should put the full court press on til the end. Never know if he has a change of heart and wants to stay close to home. Especially if we light up the scoreboard like we should this year. Hes a program changer, go all out!

So looks like Auburn is also after Smith - They are focusing on Smith now that they lost Leary to Bama. From their recruiting update today:

Auburn has turned some of its attention to former Gators commit Brashard Smith of Miami (Fla.) Palmetto at the slot position. The Tigers offered him June 10 of 2019.

So, who are the teams to watch with Smith?

Miami seems to be trending up. Tennessee also is in the mix. And, you probably can’t count out Florida just yet.

Those three probably will be Auburn’s main competition. Last season, Smith had 36 catches for 628 yards and 13 touchdowns. He’s not as fast as Leary but has been quite productive at the high school level.

So looks like Auburn is also after Smith - They are focusing on Smith now that they lost Leary to Bama. From their recruiting update today:

Auburn has turned some of its attention to former Gators commit Brashard Smith of Miami (Fla.) Palmetto at the slot position. The Tigers offered him June 10 of 2019.

Miami seems to be trending up. Tennessee also is in the mix. And, you probably can’t count out Florida just yet.

Those three probably will be Auburn’s main competition. Last season, Smith had 36 catches for 628 yards and 13 touchdowns. He’s not as fast as Leary but has been quite productive at the high school level.
Stay away, Tigers! We need Brashard and Kam Kinchens to pay them back!!!

Auburn is where offensive skill players go to die. Hopefully this case is self evident by years end.

Advertisement
Back