It's almost impossible to find...

View as article
Advertisement
Several things:

1. My initial observations of Feld was I wasn’t a fan of his; see 👇🏾

But after several, respectable posters chimed in on him, along w/ watching some YouTube videos of his clinics, my stance softened. But, what’s that expression; always go w/ ur first mind? Any chance we look at another S&C, like Moffitt, or do u think Mario is locked in w/ Feld?

2. This is not the same personnel as last season on offense; 58% of TVD’s yardage production is gone from last year’s roster. That’s a huge chunk from our overall offensive production & that chemistry that TVD had w/ Rambo, Harley, & X in 2021 was clearly missing this year, especially when X went down this season.

3. D, no disrespect, but this team, as a unit, has been poorly coached well before Mario got here.

Sacks Allowed:
2019 - 127th
2020 - 98th
2021 - 89th
2022 - 96th

TFL Allowed:
2019 - 109th
2020 - 117th
2021 - 108th
2022 - 73rd

Penalties:
2019 - 103rd
2020 - 121st
2021 - 92nd
2022 - 69th

Penalty Yards:
2019 - 98th
2020 - 122nd
2021 - 94th
2022 - 62nd

Rushing Defense:
2019 - 17th
2020 - 76th
2021 - 44th
2022 - 24th

Passing Defense:
2019 - 19th
2020 - 65th
2021 - 102nd
2022 - 78th

So while it can be highlighted that our defensive passing efficiency has dropped this yr, as a whole, the numbers don’t lie regarding the lack of discipline that’s been instilled & woven into this team prior to Mario.

We can talk offense, which has been woeful from a scoring standpoint, but in 2020 we were 32nd in Total O. In 2021 19th; now in 2022, we’ve taken a step back to 35th. In 2019 we were 98th in Total O.

The biggest problem has been the two philosophies. In 2020, it was the most efficient RZ offense we had in a while, ranking 19th; last yr we slipped precipitously to 51st. Now, we’re at 58th. In 2019, we were 122nd in that dept. So while it may be fashionable to recall 2019, don’t. We were thee worst across all levels in 2019, offensively.

The reason why we forget how woeful our RZ-O was last yr was b/c we had a lot of boom plays where TVD would throw it up to Rambo, Harley, or X. This yr, we’ve been more methodical, getting to the RZ, & failing to cash in, just like last yr. The boom is missing from this O, & a big part of y that’s missing is due to the lost of those 3 aforementioned guys. We saw in the Spring Game these WRs couldn’t get open.

The problem w/ hyperbolic reactions w/o context or full scope is it tends to justify confirmation bias. The fact is, Mario stepped in a pile of chit from the admin, the infrastructure of the AD, & the roster. The problem w/ fans is their over valuation of their team. It’s like holding on to a CZ w/ the thought that maybe one day it’ll be the value of a diamond.

Despite what tangible evidence have presented themselves over the years w/ this current roster, despite the loss of key, productive players that struggled to get us to 7 wins, the poisonous Kool - Aid is always served to get the hype going, disregarding the chit we’ve swallowed for 4 yrs, from this past regime, alone.

Whether Mario cost $8m or $3m, the same feelings would be here. The $8 wasn’t for this season, but the future long term health of this program. This team was no better than 9 wins; the injuries, along w/ the lost of productive players from 2021 couldn’t be taken into account. The ACCCG was never a possibility, although some swore by it.

Regardless, there’s a lot of changes that need to happen from the coaching staff & to this roster. I expect to see a stark difference come next season; if not, then all **** will break loose & I’ll be right along w/ it. Only hope now is to close out this chit hole in grand fashion w/ momentum heading into next season.
Good points as usual. I'm still supporting Mario and understand this is a long process like the Butch years.

But man, we're getting smoked at home by Duke and Middle Tennessee State. Just give me some sign of progress, even if it's not in the W/L record. It seems like we are taking a step back everywhere.

And I disagree about the impact of losing Rambo and Harley. Those guys were good but they are UDFAs. That can't be the only reason we dropped double-digit points per game. We were scoring 34 ppg with Pope and Wiggins.

When you support transfers, you are supporting kids that have already left a program vs fighting for better outcomes. We also have kids wanting to leave for the NFL thinking the results at Miami aren't their fault so they better jump vs fighting to produce better results. Nelson won't be the first or last. TS2 at least has heart and likely a much brighter NFL future because he keeps working on his craft!

Are the coaches perfect, no! My biggest complaint would be personnel choices mixed with calls. Don't expect different results with the same call and personnel week over week over week! On D, at least they realized that playing the CBs on islands is not going to work and we still have some bad-looking plays due to bad handoffs from CB to S. We also still have Flagg trying to cover space vs filling a gap. On O, our OL is not good enough to play tight formations. Round peg, square hole! A lot of the spread concepts were designed in HS by coaches that had smaller OL and needed an advantage. We aren't moving anyone so SPREAD the players out to give our team a chance.

Advertisement
Somebody gets it. Mario needs time to weed out the players that are not about the Team
Appreciate it.

...and here is the thing...like Manny, Richt, Golden, Shannon, and Coker...Mario will get his time to bring in whatever "his guys" are. He unlikely gets only 3 years like Manny did...he'll likely get more...but not much more. All of those guys had a chance to eat **** their first year. Shannon went 5-7, Golden went 6-6, Manny went 6-7. It's what happens after this first season that matters. Those other guys...they didn't really improve much...and they never fixed whatever issues were present at the school. So, they were out pretty quickly after it was apparent they weren't doing anything different than the guy before them. Manny was out before the end of Year 3. Shannon before the end of Year 4. Golden Year 5.

The people soiling their diaper over Mario this year...seems pointless and unnecessary stress in your life. Team stinks. Maybe Mario stinks, too. The coaching hasn't been great, but to me, coaching looks worse because of the players being coached, not the other way around. @Coach Macho has made some good points on this.

Good points as usual. I'm still supporting Mario and understand this is a long process like the Butch years.

But man, we're getting smoked at home by Duke and Middle Tennessee State. Just give me some sign of progress, even if it's not in the W/L record. It seems like we are taking a step back everywhere.

And I disagree about the impact of losing Rambo and Harley. Those guys were good but they are UDFAs. That can't be the only reason we dropped double-digit points per game. We were scoring 34 ppg with Pope and Wiggins.

Don't underestimate what going from Cam & Chaney to Knighton & Parrish at RB has meant.

We have 1 run over 25 yds in our last 11 games. And it was 26 yds. Against Bethune-Cookman. By Thad.

Explosive run plays have completely disappeared since Cam got hurt.

No argument here; what I found alarming in both games was this lethargic, unassuming attitude. I had so much hope when I saw us strike back fast to start the 2nd half. I was going to post something in the game thread about this team not giving up, but then I erased it. I had this feeling of deja vu come over me of seizing control, just to give it back.

And my brother, u know like I know NFL UDFA doesn’t equate to collegiate impact. How many QBs have we seen kill it on the collegiate level to either not be drafted or quickly ushered out of the league w/in a few yrs? There’s tons of guys who were impactful at the collegiate level who either didn’t get drafted, drafted late & placed on a practice squad roster, or simply have Al Bundy stories.

Don't underestimate what going from Cam & Chaney to Knighton & Parrish at RB has meant.

We have 1 run over 25 yds in our last 11 games. And it was 26 yds. Against Bethune-Cookman. By Thad.

Has Cheney ever really played? I don’t see the hype w him. He’s never been there long enough to even show his hs talent. Sorry. He’s just another guy

Advertisement
Those are offensive stats.

Team Sacks
2019 - 6
2020 - 32
2021 - 35
2022 - 8

Team TFL
2019 - 4
2020 - 4
2021 - 8
2022 - 24

The stats that were highlighted were discipline issues; those weren’t just offensive stats. Clearly I posted rushing defense & passing defense, along w/ team penalties which includes offense & defense.

No argument here; what I found alarming in both games was this lethargic, unassuming attitude. I had so much hope when I saw us strike back fast to start the 2nd half. I was going to post something in the game thread about this team not giving up, but then I erased it. I had this feeling of deja vu come over me of seizing control, just to give it back.

And my brother, u know like I know NFL UDFA doesn’t equate to collegiate impact. How many QBs have we seen kill it on the collegiate level to either not be drafted or quickly ushered out of the league w/in a few yrs? There’s tons of guys who were impactful at the collegiate level who either didn’t get drafted, drafted late & placed on a practice squad roster, or simply have Al Bundy stories.
The worst part about duke is that we took the lead int eh third and then fell over lol

The worst part about duke is that we took the lead int eh third and then fell over lol

On a completely deflating, 18 play drive that took 9 minutes and 22 seconds off the clock.

And it started with a sack. We scored 2 TDs in about a minute, have all the momentum, sack them on the first play of the drive, then an incompletion, it's 3rd and 13 from their own 18 yard line.....and they won the rest of the game 24-0. Oof.

Advertisement

I do agree that our RB room has dropped off but it is more than just that one position. If my memory is correct, we have four returning starts on O and four on D.

TVD, Clarke, Mallory, Scaife
(Rivers didn't play much last year, Nelson hasn't played this year, Campbell didn't play much last year, Chaney hasn't played, Roster wasn't a starter and still isn't, WR - top two left).

TS2, Ivey, Flagg, Harvey
(56, 24, 0, 17, 23 didn't start, clearly 6/90 transferred in) - 3 started over 23 last year and is now MIA.

Seems like this disaster is a combination of a few thjngs

1. Losing Culture - Been developed and enabled for over 15 years now at Miami. Guys care more about jumping right to the NFL then winning games and practicing and playing hard. It’s a disease that needs time to get rid of

2. Very average to poor talent. How many NFL guys are are on this team. WR has none (maybe Young who is emerging), OL maybe 1 (Rivers, Zion has given up). RB, our most talented backs are injured (Chaney and Citizen). Parish is solid but probably not NFL caliber. TE, Mallory cannot block and Arroyo is young and injured. Defense - LB has no one (Wes and Chase will probably get there). DBs outside of Stevenson (who will probably be a S at the next level) seem to have been massively overrated by recruiting rankings. Avantae and Blades specifically look lost out there most of the time. JW needs to learn how to tackle and take good angles. The DL looks solid but mostly because of guys brought in by Mario (Mesidor, Jackson, Aguse), and Harvey has developed under this staff

3. Bad coaching/scheme on offense and at DB to fit our players talents/skills. Seems like Steele and Gattis didn’t adjust their philosophy and scheme to fit the players so we’re seeing extreme struggles. I get that they’re trying to build a style but if you don’t adjust to an already weak talented roster then you’re going to get terrible results against lesser talented teams. And in result, struggle to recruit good players to fit your future system

All in all, we’re a lot work and still a season of more away from seeing good progress

Advertisement
One thing to add. The reason why Richt was able to produce good results so quickly was Al Golden actually left him a ton of top tier college and NFL talent:

Shaq, Pinckney
RayShawn Jenkins
Jaquan Johnson and Redwine
Chad Thomas
Norton, McIntosh, and Willis
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Njoku
Berrios
Herndon
Ahhmon and Coley
Trent Harris
Deejay Dallas, Homer
Kaaya
Etc.

Last edited:
..any evidence that Miami is a well-coached team. I tried my best. This team doesn’t make good decisions. They rank 127th in turnovers. The team isn’t disciplined. They rank 93rd in penalties. The scheme is broken. The scoring offense dropped from 30.9 ppg to 22.5 ppg (94th in nation) with largely the same personnel. The team doesn’t play smart. They rank 118th in passing efficiency defense because the DBs make so many mental busts.

The conditioning doesn’t show up. Small teams bully Miami in the fourth quarter. The sports science isn’t working. The program has never had more injuries. To top it off, the team lacks physicality and can’t tackle. Nothing on film matches the identity we wanted.

The truth is this team has looked bad in every game against an FBS opponent. And the lows keep getting lower. Duke was one of the worst rosters I’ve ever seen last year. Now, they’re lining up in victory formation in the redzone so they don’t run up the score to 50. I want to say this is rock bottom, but I thought that happened a month ago.

The comparison for Mario has always been Butch. He won’t elevate a bad roster, but he can build a roster and instill discipline over time. We see that with Oregon’s continued success. But one difference with Butch is that he was able to find Hall of Famers in the bargain bin. The recruiting landscape has changed. Cristobal succeeds by winning big-time battles, and it’s hard to win big-time battles when you look this bad on the field. The playing time sales job only works for a year. The locals are already immune to the BS. He needs to triage this season and keep the class strong if we have any chance.

Some specifics:

- The first, most obvious issue is the scoring offense. Miami averaged 22.6 ppg with Enos. It immediately jumped to 35.5 ppg in the Lashlee era. Now it’s back to 22.5 ppg, with better players than Enos had. It's a simple story to tell. We aren't explosive anymore and we live from down to down. Have you ever seen this many fourth down attempts?

- I don’t think Mario will be stubborn schematically when it comes to making changes. He has no personal scheme and, for all the talk about him being hard-headed about the run game, this is actually one of the most pass-dominant teams in the nation. They rank 117th in rushing percentage and throw it 58% of the time. It’s just a bad passing offense. The concern with Cristobal is whether he will pick the right guy or just go after the shiniest name.

- And this is not to scapegoat Gattis. There are a lot of problems on a lot of desks. Nobody talks about Ponce, but he is the QB coach and is accountable for a lot of the regression at that position. They need to get it fixed before this season goes from bad to historic.

- The most important news right now is Tyler Van Dyke’s health. He's one of the few players with an NFL future on this roster and he’s been playing like his old self. On the flip side, Jake Garcia looked as bad as I’ve ever seen him in any game or scrimmage. Some of that was protection and jitters, but he didn’t look prepared. Hopefully, it’s just a bad game under duress. I have no idea who is working hard in that room, but if TVD is out for an extended period and Jacurri Brown is preparing with more urgency, I wouldn’t hesitate throwing him out there. The offense isn’t explosive to begin with. Brown at least gives you a better running game with the opportunity for big plays on the ground and in the air against stacked boxes.

- Colbie Young is an impact player. One comparison I heard internally was Demaryius Thomas without the speed. While I love his attitude and willingness to play special teams, we need to treat him like a star. He was getting pulled for Michael Redding on key third downs. Save his energy for offense.

- One takeaway watching this game live- this team is small up front. Our failure to add length in the Portal killed us. It hurts even more when you see South Florida guys like Gerald Mincey (Tennessee) and Tyler Steen (Alabama) playing LT at a high level. Duke was parking their safeties in Broward and Miami couldn’t make them pay in the run game. This team has too many centers. DJ Scaife should be our center and he’s our RT. Justice Oluwaseun, Jakai Clark, Jonathan Denis and Logan Sagapolu are all way undersized. Laurence Seymore looked like he didn’t belong on the field on Saturday. I remember watching Seymore with @gogeta4 as he dominated much older P5 guys at camp. He looked like the next great center. But he hasn’t done enough or shown the urgency off the field to overcome his bad body. Overall, there was no size advantage against Duke and the interior pressure was relentless. One adjustment might be playing more Anez Cooper. If he is too green to move to guard (and it looked like that against VT), play him at RT and move Scaife to RG.

- If there is one area where I would bet on Mario, it’s his ability to build a giant, talented OL. You see that in Oregon. He’s already won big time battles for Francis Mauigoa (Top 10 player nationally), Connor Lew (beat UGA) and Tommy Kinsler (beat Florida). Now, we have to hold off the negative recruiting on all those guys, plus teams like Oregon pushing for Frankie Tinilau. If Cristobal can build a monster OL, it will elevate our floor and avoid catastrophes like Saturday.

- Darrell Jackson is one of the few difference makers on this team. He is an elite run-stopper and is getting sacks by pushing the pocket. He just turned 19 and has a bright NFL future if he keeps working.

- James Williams continues to struggle breaking down and tackling at 6’5. And our tackling somehow got worse when he left the game injured in the second half. I understand the frustration with JW because he’s a five-star and he’s playing nowhere near that level. But he’s low on my list of concerns. For all his faults, he is one of the better players on this bad team and actually cares.

- However, Coach Addae is high on the list of disappointments with this team. His DBs played great at West Virginia and Georgia, and the buzz from the offseason coaching clinics had him pegged as a future head coach. But the performance in practice has disappeared in games. There was a lot of hate for Rumph and Banda, but they had their guys playing much better (at a much lower price) than Addae and TRob.

Overall, this is as bad as it could’ve been. I predicted a single-digit win season but thought they’d be better than last year. They aren’t, and morale is lower. We're already hearing familiar complaints about the roster and culture. Recruiting alone won’t solve the problem, and if Cristobal can’t stop the bleeding on the field, recruiting won’t be there for long. Let's get this thing on track against a bad UVA team and steal the first good win of the year against the Noles.
That's about as depressing an Canes assessment post that I have ever read in 25+ years.... I'm disgusted, depressed and just down.... what have we become...

One thing to add. The reason why Richt was able to produce good results so quickly was Al Golden actually left him a ton of top tier college and NFL talent:

Shaq
RayShawn Jenkins
Jaquan Johnson
Chad Thomas
Norton, McIntosh, and Willis
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Njoku
Berrios
Herndon
Ahhmon
Trent Williams
Deejay Dallas, Homer
Etc.
Trent Harris I think you mean. Also Mark Walton and Kaaya. I'll give Shaq to Richt...he was able to keep him committed even tho I doubt Shaq would go anywhere else.

No coaching change in advanced football yields big benefits in year one. Doesn't happen.

Show me a Head Coach that took over a losing program and looked good in the first year.

Really? You can't be serious? How about let's simply start with the HC who just ran circles around Mario and this staff in Mike Elko.

There are NUMEROUS FBS programs who were losing programs last season, who look INFINITELY better this year and have been turned around by 1st year HC's. Stop with this non-sense already.

Duke: 5-3
LSU: 6-2
Southern Cal: 6-1
TCU: 7-0
Washington: 6-2

Duke: 3-9
LSU: 6-7
Southern Cal: 4-8
TCU: 5-7
Washington: 4-8

Advertisement
Back