It's all about the X's & O's...

To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.
You have been preaching this for a while. Makes a ton of sense. Unfortunately my reply is, and I fear, will be, oh well, for a while.

Advertisement
Coincidentally, that was the same rationale that Shannon gave when he hired Nix from GT.
So true!!! **** that brings me back to the end of 2006. I was a 26 years old and in my prime and still had plenty of hope that this thing would get turned around. Actually it was beyond hope, it was arrogance. If someone would have told me then that In the next 15 years we would look like the 2006 season and we would not even win the ACC once let alone never play for a NC again, I would have thought you were trolling me. How sad that the joke was on me. But back to ole radio and his OC hire, radio was so dumb that he thought pat nix was the reason we lost that game to Gtech in 05, instead he was so blind he couldn’t see it was megatron giving us fits. Smh

VS Boise St. they scored 31 pts. in the first half and were held scoreless the rest of the game.

VS Louisville they scored 21 in the 1st Qtr. and didn't score again until the 4th.

Not saying I'm a fan of Enos, but great offenses know how to distribute their points throughout the game.
We have yet to put 31 points in any game against an FBS opponent. Had we done so, we'd be 4-0.

Agree with the power spread and even though I hate to admit it we should have hired Mullen because that’s exactly what he runs. And even though i hate it, Mullen is not a corch, the guys a good coach.

I don't know about Mullen as a head coach at Miami but count me in as a vote for a power spread. Miami has 3 QBs who could run that today and cannot afford to have talent like Brevin Jordan or Will Mallory watching from the sideline.

My biggest worry with running the spread with the current team is we massively overrate some of the players we have. The best receiver today is Osborn and the gap between him and the second best is huge. The next best option is Jeff Thomas (who hasn't played amazing), after that it is mostly potential. The Jeff Thomas that is supposedly always a gamebreaker doesn't appear to be playing for Miami this year. At tight end we have 2 guys with some serious speed and quickness but questionable blocking. At running back I'd love to see Lingard get in the game with a defense spread out.

The spread isn't the cure-all many think it is either. At some point teams would dare Williams to throw deep (which he struggles with today) or a team with talent and speed on the defensive side of the ball would bully the Miami receivers into submission. But the spread with the talent would have **** kicked Central Michigan.

If Enos could just cut the 5 and 7 step drops out of the playbook today and play more shotgun I think this offense is improved by a wide margin. I don't think the problem is so much that Enos won't run spread concepts or concepts that works (RPO for example) - it's that he absolutely loves play action, under center, and 21 and 22 personnel. I think Enos's prefers running plays this team isn't suited for. When he was hired I genuinely believed Enos with all his talk about shifts, motion, and window dressing his plays was going to line up in 22 personnel and then shift to a spread look out of it (Jordan, Dallas, Mallory split out), I thought it would be a no-brainer to get teams to put linebackers on the field and then spread them out and run out of it or pass all over them.

Advertisement
That’s pure BS! He wanted this job and his wife wanted to come home. Those are

Show me a single shred of proof, a single sentence that says that.

Here's an article where Mario had zero problems signing a contract with a $10 million buyout, making him practically untouchable.

He was and is committed to Oregon.

Diaz isn’t going fire anyone especially Banda or Patke. Everyone talks **** about Randy but he was last coach we had that at least tried to make changes to his staff.
Agree and looking back even though randy was a crappy coach i now wish he would have been given one more year to see what teddy bridge and amari cooper could have done for him in 2011. Heck teddy even made corch strong look like a good coach.

Here's an article where Mario had zero problems signing a contract with a $10 million buyout, making him practically untouchable.

10 million buy out making him untouchable, get serious we paid over half that to buy out the bum we have now. You think if UM wanted to win and had some competent decision makes they would have any problem spending a few more million especially since richt saved us a fortune.

Agree with the power spread and even though I hate to admit it we should have hired Mullen because that’s exactly what he runs. And even though i hate it, Mullen is not a corch, the guys a good coach.

I'm not crazy about Mullen's offense either tbh. It's too QB run dependent and while I like a guy who can scramble and run the occasional zone read, his offense is not very friendly to throw first guys. We could have easily hired an air raid OC instead of Enos though. I was really high on Graham Harrell, who eventually got the USC job after Kingsbury got hired in Arizona. USC's offense has managed to score at a decent clip this year despite being down to their third string quarterback. A lot of these guys played under Leach but have figured out that you have to actually run the ball if you want to win at the highest level. The best of them incorporate Leach/Mumme passing concepts with a mix of Rich Rodriguez/Urban Meyer spread option.

Advertisement

LOL. What do you expect him to say.."Hey guys listen, I am all in BUT if UM comes calling I am out, Okay?"..Dude Oregon just got burned by Taggert the year before. You think they are going to get burned again one year later? Mario was just happy to be a HC again for a big time program. He would have signed anything!

But you go ahead and keep thinking that Mario would turn us down if we ever offered him the job. LOL. Its just like Tom Herman when he took that Houston gig. It was only a matter of time before he went to UT because that was his dream job.

10 million buy out making him untouchable, get serious we paid over half that to buy out the bum we have now. You think if UM wanted to win and had some competent decision makes they would have any problem spending a few more million especially since richt saved us a fortune.

We paid $4 million which is less than half, not more than half. And what guarantees did Mario bring to a team "wanting to win."?

None.

And again, where is there a single shred of information even hinting his wife wanted to come home and so did he?

really??? Our offense wouldn’t give a mid level high school team problems, when watching us it reminds me of richt and donforio, hardly any creatitivity. There is a bit more, but why are you exposing your line like we do, makes no sense!!

LOL. What do you expect him to say.."Hey guys listen, I am all in BUT if UM comes calling I am out, Okay?"..Dude Oregon just got burned by Taggert the year before. You think they are going to get burned again one year later? Mario was just happy to be a HC again for a big time program. He would have signed anything!

But you go ahead and keep thinking that Mario would turn us down if we ever offered him the job. LOL. Its just like Tom Herman when he took that Houston gig. It was only a matter of time before he went to UT because that was his dream job.

Mario already showed us once he was going to do what was best for him over being associated with this school remember?

He had a monster recruiting class set to sign, a solid, experienced OL and most importantly a 1st round QB returning.

He did what was best for him, again.

Advertisement
The biggest problem is Miami wants to run a pro style offense without a elite oline coach and that just won't work. We haven't had a legit oline coach since Jeff Soutland.

All anyone did was complain about him when he were here

Advertisement
The main problem I have with Enos is that I don't even think he brought Bamas offense with him like we thought which is absolutely nuts! I watch Bama a lot since I wager on them every week and I am just not seeing our offense scheme wise. Yeah they have 5*s at every position so they make it look better but I am just talking schemes. I don't see a lot of I-formation, pro sets stuff. Bama spreads that thing out and Tua is the gunslinger. Why is Enos not even using that playbook??
Because that wasn't his offense and he wasn't the OC. Mike Loksley was OC, Enos was QB coach. Satan may be evil but he isn't dumb.

We paid $4 million which is less than half, not more than half. And what guarantees did Mario bring to a team "wanting to win."?

None.

And again, where is there a single shred of information even hinting his wife wanted to come home and so did he?
That was what was being said by those who are in the know behind the scenes at UM. It was all over this blog. Point being your a fool if you think UM wouldn’t have spend another 5 million to get a real coach in here. But instead we hired another randy, atleast there names rhyme, manny and randy and will end the same way it ended for randy. Fired and never to be a head coach again and back to being the journeyman DC he always was. Do you see the parallels here?

Am I wrong or was the last decent Oline we had under Randy or Golden with the players Randy left? Certainly, the last good Oline coach we had was under Randy. ****, is it possible Randy was the best coach we have had since Butch? Never though I would ever even think that no less say it.

If we can't run the ball with 12 personnel and a gap-power scheme what makes you think we will run the ball well with a 10 personnel spread running inside zone and duo? Richt tried to run that stuff with and without tempo and we were horrible at it.

I see a long post with very little substance to the recommendations besides "RUN THE SPREAD DAMMIT, PACE & SPACE!" How is this a panacea that's going to solve our problems?

If you think Washington State and Texas have similar concepts and philosophy....well, I don't know what to tell you. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back