It's all about the InfrastrUcture: we've got another once in a decade chance

CFB is a business today.

All businesses are increasingly complex to run. Data and IT make it easier for your competition to improve themselves and assess and plan for you. If you don't follow suit, you're going into a fight with one hand tied behind your back.

There are probably a few ways to organize a program structurally, but the principles shouldn't really vary. First, map out your outputs, then your processes and systems required to generate them. Assess your capabilities. Identify resource and capability gaps.

Outputs: wins, obviously. But how?
- Culture: there's a lot more understood about this than there was a generation ago - a good leader has to understand culture and how to build and maintain it and what threatens it
- Talent identification, evaluations, acquisition and retention (leverages data, systems and processes)
- Talent development: S&C, nutrition, skill development, football IQ and experience development (leverages data, systems and processes)
- Roster management: planning and anticipating needs, considering all sources of talent (not just HS recruiting), retaining kids you want to retain
- Coaching: staff (and support team) assembly, cohesion, planning, schemes, practices, player-personnel decisions, game plans, play calling (all impacted by data, systems, processes)
- Analytics: QA, film breakdown of opponents, of your own kids and practices, of recruits (all about data, systems and processes)

Beyond and in support of the above, the program needs IT capabilities -- systems and skilled people to operate them. It also has to do branding/marketing and PR, community relations, alumni relations, medical support, academic support, development (donations), staff management (HR), compliance, scheduling, logistics and finance (FP&A at a minimum). It has to host official visits, research character and eligibility on prospects, Do this stuff poorly and you waste time and effort or lose effectiveness. So not exciting but impactful to get it right, or at least not wrong. And I don't care how much money a program has. It's easy to spend it poorly. Just look at governments around the world.

And all these functions need to be managed. They're overseen by people. They need direction and leadership and follow-up. Asking a coach to also oversee all this makes no sense. NFL teams have front officers, player personnel departments, support organizations, etc. The coach coaches. He's not the owner or President or GM. College coaches are generally less talented than NFL head coaches, and they have bigger teams, greater turnover of talent, less experienced players and less patient fans in many instances.

A good corporation builds redundancy into its planning. It has a talent development plan and a succession plan and a break glass in case of emergency plan. There's really no excuse for an institution to view a major CFB program differently. The HC doesn't own the program or its assets. He's a CEO, but the infrastructure and systems belong to the company, not him. He runs them, and in some cases is a client. In this case, the company is really the AD, which owns the program. It has a stake in all these decisions and processes. It needs to understand them so it can carry on if a coach departs.

Having good infrastructure doesn't ensure success. A bad coach or bad evals or bad luck can lead to losses. Being prepared doesn't guarantee success, but it's always table stakes for success. Not being prepared may not guarantee failure, either -- but it sure increases the chances of it.

None of this is particularly hard, or expensive. Compared to the cost of buy-outs and new coaches, you could massively upgrade the capabilities of the program in a lasting way for probably a few million dollars a year. You'd spend it on IT systems, data and analytics capabilities, and a couple good managers to clear the deck for the coaches to focus on their highest and best uses, which is coaching, not supervising back office functions.

This is the best thread I’ve probably ever seen on CIS. Because it cuts to the heart of the matter and spells out what it’s gonna take for Miami to actually reach the heights we all want them to reach.

People hear “infrastructure” and they assume it’s all about water slides and locker rooms.

They think the only thing you need to win is a good coach and some X’s and O’s.

It’s not.

Your post is dead on. It’s about building an organization, and turning Miami in to a machine that’s bigger than any one coach, scheme, or player.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The funniest statement by @LuCane in regards to our previous hires "(player preference for Coker, Randy's perceived local advantage, Golden's "organizational pillars," Richt's "polished" history, Diaz's apparent proximity to the Hecht office)" HAHAHA, Diaz walked by and they hired him lol.

I think the biggest thing left out of the upcoming coaching debate is "does any candidate impact fundamental infrastructure changes."

What do I mean by infrastructure? It's almost another post altogether, but it includes all aspects of administration starting with a true leader at AD and whoever he or she hire as support. This means medical/training staff, a real system of player evaluation (I'm in talent development and can tell you this is wildly overlooked in our AD), investment in talented admin *professionals* to surround whoever is the coach. Infrastructure is a system that will support a coach and realistically outlast any specific coach.

This post is about which coach comes with these more fundamental changes, as the reality is each candidate comes with different warts. That's what happens with coaches who've gone to war already.

I 100% have concerns about Mario's history on offense, the gameday stuff, and the situation with reliance on coordinators. I 100% have concerns with Lane's ability to build a program/foundation and CEO/lead his way to a solid evaluation and selection of coordinators and player talent. I 100% have concerns about Stoops (and I like him!). I 100% have concerns about Aranda's ability to build a program down here (and I really like the dude!). I have 1000% concerns with doing any other experiment with a coordinator or someone from a program with different current and future problems.

But, our question is luckily a simpler business question: is the cost of any coach's risk less than the benefit of what comes with ________ (insert coach's name)? Who has the best cost-benefit for our current and future problems in the current competitive landscape of college football?

That's why we need someone leading these decisions right now who actually knows business and strategy. That's why Blake needed to be let go immediately, if not sooner. That's why anyone who entrusted Blake to make near-unilateral decisions or at least massively influence full-on leadership decisions needs to step aside for this one.

Personally, I despise how we almost always go back to "how things were when we won." Mainly, because the environment changes and therefore problems are not the same. If we're going to look back at any real past successes that match the current problem, then that conversation needs to have the word "Jankovich" in it and how he surrounded himself with really great Associate ADs (ask around, these were great people!) and true leaders (unafraid to hire alpha coaches).

Bottom line? If any of our specific candidates cause a monumental shift in our [entire] program's infrastructure, if that person is the catalyst for that commitment, then you have to mark extra pluses on that column. I'm not sitting in Rudy's or Joe Echevarria's office to have the details of what candidate does that more, so I can't really say much about the details of what boosters will contribute more or less to systemic changes. Maybe it's Mario because of his leverage? Maybe it's Lane or Freeze or Aranda because they have holes in their leadership resume and need this type of system of support?

I really don't know (and don't care) because I only care that we take this opportunity to build a system.

I'll repeat: what ails this program is at its root!
Please stop looking at past, external successes (or failures) for what may solve current and future problems. We have an infrastructure problem that permeates everything from how the program is run to how players are evaluated for recruitment to how coaches and players are evaluated for on-field success. Is this not obvious to everyone who's watched us crash our program into the rocks for 20 years?

For once, let's make this decision based on foundational reasons rather than the bizarre external reasons (player preference for Coker, Randy's perceived local advantage, Golden's "organizational pillars," Richt's "polished" history, Diaz's apparent proximity to the Hecht office) we've used for the last 5 hires. Someone, anyone, make a real business decision here. Please. I don't care who the **** is coach so long as our infrastructure is weak and fake.
Brother, you truly hit the nail on the head in terms of identifying our problems and how we should address them. If I could go back in time to when you posted this and told you exactly who we would hire at AD and HC including staff and filled you in on every detail including our newfound commitment to football, spending top dollar and implementing the Alabama blueprint what would you have said? Would you have believed me? Its almost as if this post was put out in to the universe and the universe basically said " These people have such passion for this UM football. Lets give them what they need to be elite again. LOL What a time to be alive!

CFB is a business today.

All businesses are increasingly complex to run. Data and IT make it easier for your competition to improve themselves and assess and plan for you. If you don't follow suit, you're going into a fight with one hand tied behind your back.

There are probably a few ways to organize a program structurally, but the principles shouldn't really vary. First, map out your outputs, then your processes and systems required to generate them. Assess your capabilities. Identify resource and capability gaps.

Outputs: wins, obviously. But how?
- Culture: there's a lot more understood about this than there was a generation ago - a good leader has to understand culture and how to build and maintain it and what threatens it
- Talent identification, evaluations, acquisition and retention (leverages data, systems and processes)
- Talent development: S&C, nutrition, skill development, football IQ and experience development (leverages data, systems and processes)
- Roster management: planning and anticipating needs, considering all sources of talent (not just HS recruiting), retaining kids you want to retain
- Coaching: staff (and support team) assembly, cohesion, planning, schemes, practices, player-personnel decisions, game plans, play calling (all impacted by data, systems, processes)
- Analytics: QA, film breakdown of opponents, of your own kids and practices, of recruits (all about data, systems and processes)

Beyond and in support of the above, the program needs IT capabilities -- systems and skilled people to operate them. It also has to do branding/marketing and PR, community relations, alumni relations, medical support, academic support, development (donations), staff management (HR), compliance, scheduling, logistics and finance (FP&A at a minimum). It has to host official visits, research character and eligibility on prospects, Do this stuff poorly and you waste time and effort or lose effectiveness. So not exciting but impactful to get it right, or at least not wrong. And I don't care how much money a program has. It's easy to spend it poorly. Just look at governments around the world.

And all these functions need to be managed. They're overseen by people. They need direction and leadership and follow-up. Asking a coach to also oversee all this makes no sense. NFL teams have front officers, player personnel departments, support organizations, etc. The coach coaches. He's not the owner or President or GM. College coaches are generally less talented than NFL head coaches, and they have bigger teams, greater turnover of talent, less experienced players and less patient fans in many instances.

A good corporation builds redundancy into its planning. It has a talent development plan and a succession plan and a break glass in case of emergency plan. There's really no excuse for an institution to view a major CFB program differently. The HC doesn't own the program or its assets. He's a CEO, but the infrastructure and systems belong to the company, not him. He runs them, and in some cases is a client. In this case, the company is really the AD, which owns the program. It has a stake in all these decisions and processes. It needs to understand them so it can carry on if a coach departs.

Having good infrastructure doesn't ensure success. A bad coach or bad evals or bad luck can lead to losses. Being prepared doesn't guarantee success, but it's always table stakes for success. Not being prepared may not guarantee failure, either -- but it sure increases the chances of it.

None of this is particularly hard, or expensive. Compared to the cost of buy-outs and new coaches, you could massively upgrade the capabilities of the program in a lasting way for probably a few million dollars a year. You'd spend it on IT systems, data and analytics capabilities, and a couple good managers to clear the deck for the coaches to focus on their highest and best uses, which is coaching, not supervising back office functions.
Great post, thank you. The only thing I would disagree with is that it’s not particularly hard. A look around at all the failed businesses in the world implies that it’s actually pretty hard. Obviously there are many reasons businesses fail, but I think it would be tough to find one that failed while doing all these things right.

That said, it’s probably not too hard for us to massively improve here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back