It occurred to me while watching the game Saturday..

Advertisement
We are the same person

I just literally had to change how I watch our games or I would die way earlier than I want

If things are going well and guys make some good plays then I cheer

us ******* up is the expectation

and if something else comes up during the game, I go do that instead. I change the games often to watch other teams

it’s just the way it is now
Its sad that this generation of Cane fans will grow up like the last 3 generations of Dolphins fans. Just cheer because its something out of habit but will never experience what it was like to be "Bama" and watch greatness year after year... The 80s, early 90s, and early 2000s were a glorious time to be a Cane fan. I am grateful I was around to see it. Barring some miracle, most of us will die before we ever see another championship around here at UM. (sorry for being a little morbit)

Advertisement
But again, none of them were here in 2005 when that sh*t ball was big enough to start rolling. Not denying the admin is part of the problem, but again just part of it. It's bigger and deeper than that.

So.... they could be (watch the downvotes) plants of that guy Donna Shalala? Seems like a bunch of ppl were Shalala ppl once he left and got his ppl in place.

Yeah that's a good question, a really good question. But my point is, a guy like that sees how we're playing, not physical and tough and with an edge game to game, and decides I need to go elsewhere where they play like I play.
This means that Rique needs to be that enforcer leader and get them fired up. Get ****ed off at them.

But again, none of them were here in 2005 when that sh*t ball was big enough to start rolling. Not denying the admin is part of the problem, but again just part of it. It's bigger and deeper than that.
That was Shalala at the time and she was such a big piece of **** that only she needed to be here to have it roll down and ruin things. I completely agree that the people at the top are playing checkers and should not be in their positions. Let’s hire a real AD instead of the guy left over after the last AD hire (Hocutt) took off. Same move was made when Richt retired…hired the assistant. We are filled with lazy and unapologetic moves that turn out to be trash. I want to see the same turnaround, but am starting to wonder if I will ever see it again (I grew up going to games in the OB and being undefeated at home…tall order to fill). My kids are young but starting to think that I’m crazy for being a fan of this product. Please turn this ship around!

Its sad that this generation of Cane fans will grow up like the last 3 generations of Dolphins fans. Just cheer because its something out of habit but will never experience what it was like to be "Bama" and watch greatness year after year... The 80s, early 90s, and early 2000s were a glorious time to be a Cane fan. I am grateful I was around to see it. Barring some miracle, most of us will die before we ever see another championship around here at UM. (sorry for being a little morbit)
Couldn’t agree more

luckily I was a young kid with some of our best teams in the 80s so it’s what made me a fan in the first place

and I got to see a machine when I was old enough to really appreciate it in the early 2000s

eventually I realized it’s never coming back. The Manny hire let me know it’s time to change the way I see the team for good

Advertisement
So.... they could be (watch the downvotes) plants of that guy Donna Shalala? Seems like a bunch of ppl were Shalala ppl once he left and got his ppl in place.
You think Shalala has an ongoing conspiracy to keep UM football down?

I'm just asking questions and throwing CIS **** at the wall. With the stench going on at the Hecht, cannot rule anything out, really.

Somewhere in the second quarter I think, I was doing what I seemingly do most games, and most seasons over the past 15 years or so. I'm waiting for this team to wake up. I'm waiting for everything to click and the team to show that they're the ones with the superior athleticism, size, talent, and will. And then just sort of occurred to me, I'm waiting for something that's not coming.

There's just something deeply wrong with the entire program. And what I do, and we all do, as is our natural inclination, is to try to look for that one thing. Well it's Diaz, we just need a new head coach. Well it's the OC, it's the DC, it's our linebackers, it's our OL, our receivers still can't catch, our quarterback is short and coming off an injury. It's our tackling. It's our preparation. It's our S&C.

But, it's all those things, and it's so much more. I get accused of being a Diaz slurper, and I'm not. I think it was another really risky higher. Another guy with no experience, and some degree of success as a coordinator, but not a whole lot to indicate that he had some kind of great coaching pedigree. But what's funny is people acting like he's suddenly the problem. As if Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt never existed somehow. Yea I get how things imploded under Coker and Shannon, but Golden was what half this board is clamoring for again right now. A guy who turned around a fledgling program and made them respectable. And how did Richt forget to coach? Sure UGA had a ceiling but things never imploded on him like they did here in 2018. What happened?

And how is it Lashlee forgot everything? How is it he got a bunch of guys to put up massive #s at SMU with a bunch of guys Miami wouldn't even recruit. The comp isn't THAT dramatically better here. You certainly can't say that about an App St.

I'm watching the App St game and I'm seeing a bunch of kids that Miami wouldn't have even sent a letter to pushing around our big 4 star recruits with elite offer lists.. And then rub their faces in the dirt and tell them about it. And yes we made enough plays to find a way to win, but how did we get to this level when we're life and death with a decent G5 team... Again. Yea they have chips on their shoulders, but so do all the G5 kids on teams that get served up to P5 schools early in the season before the conference schedules. And unless you're FSU, the talent disparity takes care of itself, no matter how bad those kids want to prove their worth.

But not with us. There's almost this pervasive rot that never goes away since the 2005 Peach Bowl. Like it seems they're doing what they need to do in the off-season to train and prepare but once the lights come on there's not an extra gear to meet the challenge. Yea some weeks there are, but it's never consistent. The difference in the way a Tyrique Stevenson plays, with physical abandon and toughness every play, compared to everyone else is so jarring you almost feel like he doesn't belong on the field with these guys. And then you start to realize why guys like him choose to go other places. Because kids like that are watching us play, and turnover chains and TD rings and models on the beach and everything else is nice and fun but it's gilded and these guys are football players. They're watching what's happening on the field and that edge just isn't there. It's about WAY more than scheme.

They're seeing what we see and they're just not interested. Now I think we've started to get some of those type of guys. I think James and Avante are those type of dudes. But the rot is still there. And it can't be fixed with one recruiting class. Yea these kids want to win. They want to play for championships. But want to and making it happen are two different beasts. And the former greats like Michael a Irvin occasionally in their ear or Ed Reed on staff and in their ear EVERY DAY can't just flip a switch and make it happen.

I don't know the answer, and I don't know if there are any easy ones, or any at all. And my only defense of Manny is that he tires to address the obvious problems. But he's in over his head, just like the last 3 guys. If/when we move on from the Manny regime, it'll be another top to bottom cleanse, but the cleanse will have to go so much deeper than any of these guys realized. Who's up for that?
I won’t live long enough to see it most likely.

Advertisement
People still bringing her up is honestly an embarrassment

that will upset some folks and they will likely continue to get overly emotional about it but that’s only because they don’t know how to move on from trauma

Btw, we for some reason have canned an idea that we all had. Diaz overrode the hire of Alonzo Highsmith. We need to start pushing for that, actually much more than the firing of anyone
This. This. This. Manny’s worst nightmare is having a guy like Zo overseeing him. Zo understands what a good program looks like. He can see through all the bull****. Manny would prefer to answer to Blake because Blake is an incompetent beta who has set low benchmarks for our football program.

after this year class is gone,will have nothing but young kids playing hopefully they turn out!! a new qb to look forward too!! something!

Advertisement
I'm just asking questions and throwing CIS **** at the wall. With the stench going on at the Hecht, cannot rule anything out, really.
I think just saying "it's the administration" is again oversimplification. The admin isn't dropping passes and blowing coverages and getting pancaked by 2 star recruits. And it's not like we're having to deal with hoping AJ Highsmith can play safety or Khalil Jones can catch passes anymore. There's enough talent to beat an App St comfortably by we can't. There's enough talent to at least hang with Alabama but we can't.
Btw, we for some reason have canned an idea that we all had. Diaz overrode the hire of Alonzo Highsmith. We need to start pushing for that, actually much more than the firing of anyone
What exactly could Highsmith magically do that Ed Reed can't or won't?

Somewhere in the second quarter I think, I was doing what I seemingly do most games, and most seasons over the past 15 years or so. I'm waiting for this team to wake up. I'm waiting for everything to click and the team to show that they're the ones with the superior athleticism, size, talent, and will. And then just sort of occurred to me, I'm waiting for something that's not coming.

There's just something deeply wrong with the entire program. And what I do, and we all do, as is our natural inclination, is to try to look for that one thing. Well it's Diaz, we just need a new head coach. Well it's the OC, it's the DC, it's our linebackers, it's our OL, our receivers still can't catch, our quarterback is short and coming off an injury. It's our tackling. It's our preparation. It's our S&C.

But, it's all those things, and it's so much more. I get accused of being a Diaz slurper, and I'm not. I think it was another really risky higher. Another guy with no experience, and some degree of success as a coordinator, but not a whole lot to indicate that he had some kind of great coaching pedigree. But what's funny is people acting like he's suddenly the problem. As if Coker, Shannon, Golden, and Richt never existed somehow. Yea I get how things imploded under Coker and Shannon, but Golden was what half this board is clamoring for again right now. A guy who turned around a fledgling program and made them respectable. And how did Richt forget to coach? Sure UGA had a ceiling but things never imploded on him like they did here in 2018. What happened?

And how is it Lashlee forgot everything? How is it he got a bunch of guys to put up massive #s at SMU with a bunch of guys Miami wouldn't even recruit. The comp isn't THAT dramatically better here. You certainly can't say that about an App St.

I'm watching the App St game and I'm seeing a bunch of kids that Miami wouldn't have even sent a letter to pushing around our big 4 star recruits with elite offer lists.. And then rub their faces in the dirt and tell them about it. And yes we made enough plays to find a way to win, but how did we get to this level when we're life and death with a decent G5 team... Again. Yea they have chips on their shoulders, but so do all the G5 kids on teams that get served up to P5 schools early in the season before the conference schedules. And unless you're FSU, the talent disparity takes care of itself, no matter how bad those kids want to prove their worth.

But not with us. There's almost this pervasive rot that never goes away since the 2005 Peach Bowl. Like it seems they're doing what they need to do in the off-season to train and prepare but once the lights come on there's not an extra gear to meet the challenge. Yea some weeks there are, but it's never consistent. The difference in the way a Tyrique Stevenson plays, with physical abandon and toughness every play, compared to everyone else is so jarring you almost feel like he doesn't belong on the field with these guys. And then you start to realize why guys like him choose to go other places. Because kids like that are watching us play, and turnover chains and TD rings and models on the beach and everything else is nice and fun but it's gilded and these guys are football players. They're watching what's happening on the field and that edge just isn't there. It's about WAY more than scheme.

They're seeing what we see and they're just not interested. Now I think we've started to get some of those type of guys. I think James and Avante are those type of dudes. But the rot is still there. And it can't be fixed with one recruiting class. Yea these kids want to win. They want to play for championships. But want to and making it happen are two different beasts. And the former greats like Michael a Irvin occasionally in their ear or Ed Reed on staff and in their ear EVERY DAY can't just flip a switch and make it happen.

I don't know the answer, and I don't know if there are any easy ones, or any at all. And my only defense of Manny is that he tires to address the obvious problems. But he's in over his head, just like the last 3 guys. If/when we move on from the Manny regime, it'll be another top to bottom cleanse, but the cleanse will have to go so much deeper than any of these guys realized. Who's up for that?

A soft culture, with easy practices(by relative standards of big-time programs), that really doesn't hold players accountable, will produce soft football players and teams.

Football isn't an easy game, that's why I truly respect anyone that plays at a high level. It's not always fun and it can be brutal on the body and mind

But this is what these guys signed up for. Somewhere along the way UM became a bit soft with its players (well, having Coker in charge is where it started).

This used to be a place where after bad practices Jimmy Johnson would threaten guys scholarships at the end of the semester. Bubba McDowell, when I interviewed him for Canestime way back when, flat out said it was frightening and the guys were running back to their dorm rooms to , as Jimmy said -- ''read the fine print''. He laughed when he told the story, as did Michael Irvin who said the greatest and toughest football in his life was on Greentree after Johnson's threats. But it had an impact on those guys as young men.

Now, we have a guy who does the slip-n-slide after defeating Virginia by 5 points at home.

I think just saying "it's the administration" is again oversimplification. The admin isn't dropping passes and blowing coverages and getting pancaked by 2 star recruits. And it's not like we're having to deal with hoping AJ Highsmith can play safety or Khalil Jones can catch passes anymore. There's enough talent to beat an App St comfortably by we can't. There's enough talent to at least hang with Alabama but we can't.

What exactly could Highsmith magically do that Ed Reed can't or won't?
Make better hires than Blake James. Thats not Ed Reed's position. Its a token position so Diaz could keep the fans from rioting massive failure

A soft culture, with easy practices(by relative standards of big-time programs), that really doesn't hold players accountable, will produce soft football players and teams.

Football isn't an easy game, that's why I truly respect anyone that plays at a high level. It's not always fun and it can be brutal on the body and mind

But this is what these guys signed up for. Somewhere along the way UM became a bit soft with its players (well, having Coker in charge is where it started).

This used to be a place where after bad practices Jimmy Johnson would threaten guys scholarships at the end of the semester. Bubba McDowell, when I interviewed him for Canestime way back when, flat out said it was frightening and the guys were running back to their dorm rooms to , as Jimmy said -- ''read the fine print''. He laughed when he told the story, as did Michael Irvin who said the greatest and toughest football in his life was on Greentree after Johnson's threats. But it had an impact on those guys as young men.

Now, we have a guy who does the slip-n-slide after defeating Virginia by 5 points at home.
Yea that's fair, but Shannon did some of that hard-a$$ stuff he learned from Jimmy and guys didn't respond to that at all. I'm not sure if you could do that with today's egos and literal endorsement contracts before they even set foot on campus. I know Saban does some of that, and there's certainly accountability lacking, but I don't know if that's the one and only answer. Part of the problem is the culture down in Miami with agents and handlers and influencers and all the other bullsh*t, which Cribby has alluded to, and keeps away a lot of big time coaching candidates. I don't think we can just go back to the way Jimmy did it, because the world is different, and South FL is way different.

Advertisement
Back