IT’S TIME: Why Miami should leave the ACC and go to the AAC

Advertisement
This actually makes a lot more sense than most are willing or able to acknowledge, especially if a groundbreaking streaming rights deal was included as part of the deal. We could also probably (if we had an AD with a room temperature IQ and a set of balls, but we all know we don't) strongarm the AAC into a greater share of conference revenue, whereas the ACC is communist in their revenue sharing.

All of that being said, you didn't factor in the grant of rights. As I understand it, the soonest we could theoretically leave the ACC and take our media rights with us is something like 2026.

As much as I am not fond of the ACC, we're best off working to improve our position within it rather than talking about leaving it.

Just win the **** games.

This actually makes a lot more sense than most are willing or able to acknowledge, especially if a groundbreaking streaming rights deal was included as part of the deal. We could also probably (if we had an AD with a room temperature IQ and a set of balls, but we all know we don't) strongarm the AAC into a greater share of conference revenue, whereas the ACC is communist in their revenue sharing.

All of that being said, you didn't factor in the grant of rights. As I understand it, the soonest we could theoretically leave the ACC and take our media rights with us is something like 2026.

As much as I am not fond of the ACC, we're best off working to improve our position within it rather than talking about leaving it.

Just win the **** games.

Look, I realize that Bezos is richer than God. And he went to NMB High.

But he also has to answer to shareholders.

And there is no way that there will be a "groundbreaking streaming rights deal" for the 6th best college sports conference. Not even if mid-ACC-pack Miami joins up.

Have you ever read one of the CIS threads on how to beat/cheat the cable companies out of money, or cut the cord, or how to get illegal content for free? If Amazon is going to give more money for streaming rights than what existing networks pay for broadcast rights, they are going to need to collect more money for Amazon Prime. The money has to come from somewhere.

I worked at ups after I worked at an Exxon gas station.
I’m still dumb AF.
Both Fortune 500 companies.
I don’t see any Walmart dudes wearing Mensa pins or T-shirts. They’re top of the Fortune 500 btw.

From Sports Business Journal:

"Another potential trigger for (conference realignment) is the ACC Network, which is scheduled to launch in August in an environment rife with cord cutters and dwindling subscriber bases. ESPN fully owns the channel and was able to secure the right to launch it on Altice’s New York-area systems and nationally on at least one digital multichannel video provider.

If the channel is successful in signing more carriage deals, the conference’s makeup will remain the same. If not, some of the ACC’s stronger programs — Florida State, Clemson — could become targets for the SEC and Big Ten. Sources say success in terms of revenue falls somewhere between the thriving Big Ten Network and struggling Pac-12 Networks."

In my opinion, since networks don't seem to give a **** about picking up the ACC, there's no way it will hit these targets. Of course, I'm not Houdini and I can't foretell the future. But that's my sense.

I understand your point, but I think you (and many of us in South Florida) are suffering from a perception-based bias that the ACC Network does not have subscribers (because Comcast and ATT are the major players in South Florida and neither currently carries the ACCN).

About a month ago, there were already approximately 34 million subscribers to the ACCN at launch, per the Pittsburgh Gazette. That was before Cox announced a deal to carry the ACCN earlier this month. I believe that leaves Comcast, Dish, and ATT as the only big carriers that don't have deals with the ACCN.

Sure, it's not the estimated 60-70 million subscribers the SEC Network has, but the SEC Network has been around for 5 years. The latest projections I have seen for the ACCN still show between $10-15 million per school per year in additional TV revenue. That's not bad.

Advertisement
Look, I realize that Bezos is richer than God. And he went to NMB High.

But he also has to answer to shareholders.

And there is no way that there will be a "groundbreaking streaming rights deal" for the 6th best college sports conference. Not even if mid-ACC-pack Miami joins up.

Have you ever read one of the CIS threads on how to beat/cheat the cable companies out of money, or cut the cord, or how to get illegal content for free? If Amazon is going to give more money for streaming rights than what existing networks pay for broadcast rights, they are going to need to collect more money for Amazon Prime. The money has to come from somewhere.

Fair enough. But just for the record, I never said the word Amazon in my post, that was someone else. There are lots of potential streamers who might buy conference rights, and we are at the beginning of a streaming content war, with Apple getting in to the business, Disney, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc. And OP has a semi-valid point in the media markets of AAC vs. ACC teams. What he doesn't factor in is alumni base size, brand recognition/value, those sorts of things. Just because Houston is a huge media market, that doesn't mean that everyone in Houston cares about UH, for example.

Where I would add something to the discussion, and while my final conclusion is that this is a pointless discussion as we're simply not leaving the ACC anytime "soon" (depending on what view you take of time), it's worth pointing out that many/most posters are viewing the original post as idiotic because they have a somewhat myopic view that CFB as it exists today will always be this way. That is simply not true. It wasn't that long ago that conference affiliation simply wasn't that important and then not that long after that major conferences such as the Big12 and ACC were at serious risk of becoming irrelevant as the landscape shifted and mega-conferences formed.

Just as the pendulum swung in one direction and today it seems that everything is about being in a mega-conference, or else you are irrelevant... Just as it seems today that the landscape of college football is super stable, you can always count on the black swan events to come down the pike.

What is, will not always be.

Miami did not become the team of the 80's by trying to be better at being Nebraska than Nebraska was. It took a vision and a visionary who saw the future and made it before anyone else did.

Miami will not reach greatness by trying to beat Baga and clem$on at their own game. We will have to find our edge in new territory.

Advertisement
Listen OP, you presented a well written argument. I'd be willing to say you have a higher IQ than about 95% of the morons that post on this site who idolize Don Bailey Jr and don't know the first thing about a football program.

With that said, that move would effectively end UM football as we know it. The exact OPPOSITE situation is currently happening within the college football landscape, everyone NOT in a P5 conference is desperate to get into one because without that access...the road to winning a championship is basically non existent.

What we need to do, what we've BEEN NEEDING to do....is start giving a flying F about football. And specifically, I mean go out and start by hiring an experienced top notch ATHLETIC DIRECTOR who has a football mind and giving him complete dominion over the program. Keep the incompetent BOT out of all football decisions. I was never a "bring back Butch" guy cause I think his time as a head coach is coming to an end....but he's EXACTLY the kind of guy who I would look at for the AD role. A football mind who wants to win.

If we had THAT structure in place for the last twenty years.......Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, and Diaz never even get a sniff of our HC job. Alas, we're stuck in purgatory.....AGAIN.

From Sports Business Journal:

"Another potential trigger for (conference realignment) is the ACC Network, which is scheduled to launch in August in an environment rife with cord cutters and dwindling subscriber bases. ESPN fully owns the channel and was able to secure the right to launch it on Altice’s New York-area systems and nationally on at least one digital multichannel video provider.

If the channel is successful in signing more carriage deals, the conference’s makeup will remain the same. If not, some of the ACC’s stronger programs — Florida State, Clemson — could become targets for the SEC and Big Ten. Sources say success in terms of revenue falls somewhere between the thriving Big Ten Network and struggling Pac-12 Networks."

In my opinion, since networks don't seem to give a **** about picking up the ACC, there's no way it will hit these targets. Of course, I'm not Houdini and I can't foretell the future. But that's my sense.

It's pretty short run thinking to believe the ACCN is a failure within the first few weeks of its launch.

Houdini was an escape artist, I never have heard any suggestion that he could fortell the future. Maybe you were thinking of Nostradamus?

Or, maybe
p5oWCd.gif

OK, look, let's have an honest conversation here. I'm not going to criticize your bona fides and I'm sure you do good work in the real world. But this entire analysis is insanely flawed. Insanely. I'll be as brief as possible, but allow me to logically destroy the foundation upon which your delusional conclusions are built.

1. You included UConn in the AAC. Right there, you are slipping. UConn is being kicked out of the AAC.

2. You completely ignore reality by hyper-focusing on the physical location of the schools, rather than where the alumni actually live. For example, the SEC is not freaked out about the TV-market area for, say, Gainesville, because they know that Gaytor alums live all over the state of Florida, including all the major cities. Thus, you completely ignore, say, Charlotte, NC (which is filled with UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake graduates). You completely ignore DMV area (DC-Maryland-Virginia), which has plenty of UVa and VaTech grads. Similarly, there are plenty of F$U grads in all the major Florida cities. And worst of all, you minimize the impact of Notre Dame, based upon its college-town TV market, while not even considering that they have such a powerful NATIONWIDE following that they are able to play (largely) as a football independent and they have negotiated THEIR OWN television deal with NBC.

3. Similarly, you act as if certain massive AAC television markets would deliver upon the promise of their population, without ever taking into account whether those massive populations truly support the "home team". Sure, SMU is in Dallas and Houston is (obviously) in Houston, but there is no way in **** that people in those cities would watch the "home team" over, say, TEXAS. Or Texas A&M. And even Baylor and TCU games would be more compelling, based upon recent success. You act as if Tulane "delivers" New Orleans when nearly everyone there roots for LSU. Same with Memphis, when Tennessee rules the state. And if you think anyone in Philly roots for Temple football, you have another thing coming. And don't even get me started on how "Georgia State" would miraculously deliver the Atlanta market over UGa and GaTech.

4. Your geographic argument is silly. Sure, we would trade 1 Florida school (F$U) for 2 (UCF, USF). But we would swap out NY, MA, SC, KY, IN, VA (and possibly GA) for...OH, OK, TN, LA, MD, TX (and, hey, I didn't hold your CT idiocy against you on this point)...I don't see any major advantages. Sure, the two biggest outliers are Syracuse (NY) and Boston College (MA), but we rarely face Syracuse, and when we do, they have a domed stadium. So, sure, we'd shift more to the west than the northeast, but OH-TN-MD are fairly similar to SC-KY-IN-VA when it comes to proximity and climate. More importantly, you don't address the issue of whether any of the AAC fanbases (outside of UCF and USF) would travel to Miami in large numbers to support their teams (hint, the answer is "highly unlikely"). Miami is ALWAYS going to be a geographic outlier, we are at the peehole end of the Florida *****.

5. No conference wants to be represented by Miami. We are only tolerated due to our past success and our massive TV market. I am tired of people romanticizing the "love affair" we had with the Big East. Here's the reality. They all hated us. We had to dump the Big East because every issue that Miami tried to raise with Tranghese was ignored. The AAC is NOT the Big East. The AAC does NOT "miss Miami". The only team on that AAC list (and, again, I'm not going to hold your CT idiocy against you on this point) that was ever a part of the Big East is Temple. And right now, I don't think Temple is very happy with Miami.

6. WE HAVE NO BUILT-IN RIVAL IN THE ACC? Seriously, are you insane? We play both F$U (longtime in-state rivals from the independent days) and VaTech (independent, BE, and ACC rivals) on an annual basis. So what if F$U plays the Gaytors during rivalry week, or VaTech plays UVa during rivalry week. For THIS we are going to switch to the AAC to play manufactured rivalries against "hated in-state opponents" UCF and USF, or longtime rival Temple?

7. Why do you think that UM would suddenly get more "high-profile" OOC games? Ask UCF how that's going. What happens when the Gaytors offer us a 2-for-1? ****, the idiot fringe of our fanbase thinks we should only schedule one Power 5 OOC game per year, along with 3 cupcakes. You think we are going to get 4 Power 5 OOC games each year, particularly with our poor-negotiating idiot AD? Jesus Lord, in one of your most idiotic delusions, you talked about us playing FIVE Florida teams that would, presumably, all be OOC games (UF, F$U, FIU, FAU, and FAMU). Please tell me you had taken some really good drugs before you screwed up THAT math. You had a 14 team conference (before your CT idiocy), five OOC games, thus we would have, what, 7 conference games, yet you are giving us all of this "media market" exposure benefit for markets we would rarely play in, because I'm assuming you would have to have 2 divisions for a 13 or 14 team league, right?

8. How does adding Miami to the AAC make the AAC "better" (your words, not mine) than the ACC in football? Did Clemson cease to exist? By results only, adding Miami to the ACC doesn't even make the ACC better in football, as we have finished mid-pack most years, and have only won the Coastal ONCE since we joined.

And none of the above even addresses the real realities of leaving the ACC for the AAC. A MASSIVE conference buyout. A MASSIVE drop in conference revenues. An IMMEDIATE lack of credibility and access to the playoff system (****, UCF can't even get an invite with an undefeated season). And, hey, you can say the word "Amazon" three times in a row, but if the ONLY thing preventing Amazon from signing a deal with the AAC tomorrow is the lack of Miami's presence, then there IS NO impending Amazon deal. Because Miami, while historically successful, does not exactly deliver stellar ratings when we are 0-2. MAYBE someday the AAC revenues will increase. MAYBE someday the AAC champ would seriously be considered for the playoffs. But those pipe-dreams are not yet reality, and while we wait for them to become so, we will be relegated to the shadows, we will lose recruits, and we will (eventually) lose the merchandising and adidas revenue that we currently enjoy.

So, if anyone has any UM connections, PLEASE DO NOT submit this for "real analysis". The proposal is insane.
I see where you’re coming from and I debate you point for point, but the numbers speak for themselves. Visionaries don’t just rely on the now, they use their imagination to create new realities in the future. If you look at this a a fan, you hate the might dislike the optics, sure... right now. But the AAC is playing the long game, whose in a better position when realignment demands super conferences and an 8 team playoff? The ACC seems better now but if 1 or 2 decent teams leave it becomes a has been.

Now your opinion of fan base loyalty I have to disagree with. For example, Texas has over 27 million people and every school has its own loyal fan base. UT is huge in Austin but in Dallas not so much. That’s the advantage of being in large markets for a team like Miami. Sure the Walmart approach works for SEC schools because they are mostly in rural areas.

Let me put like this, I’m talking about creating opportunities for the future. I worked on marketing campaign once that I later regretted. It was for a large tobacco company and they wanted to target ‘future’ smokers. Long story short, they went away from the shelf space concept and went for a ‘candy for a baby’ approach. It wasn’t my idea, but in the end they started putting flavored tobacco products right at the checkout just like the candy/snack companies do. It was a game changer.

5-10 years from now some people are going to say we shoulda, coulda, woulda when the telecom industry was transforming.
Most visionaries are thought to be crazy at first, then everybody wants a phuckin iPhone later.

BOT is all about the $$$$, no way they would ever downgrade to a non power 5 conference.
I believe BOT loves $$$$ ACC generates and where football program is presently somewhere between #15 -#30 & a
minor bowl game and they are not breaking the bank $$$$ on costs.
stone cold winner for BOT which i doubt wants a true return to national prominence

Advertisement
The ACC's football problem is Miami and FSU are no longer relevant. The ACC has Clemson and some other football programs. A strange cousin in Notre Dame.

Visionary streaming deals with Amazon, NetFlix, or anyone else will not solve the problem. You want 20M more households to watch average-at-best CFB? Other than Clemson, is the ACC even entertaining to a casual fan? We bad mouth the BIG 12 for playing bad defense but if I were to pick a game to watch I'd watch most BIG 12 games over most ACC games.

The problem is solved by Miami and FSU restoring themselves as perennial CFP contenders, along with Clemson. Throw in Note Dame maintaining a Top 10-20 status with a 6-game ACC schedule and you've got something.

Miami and FSU need to make correct hires at HC, and perhaps more importantly, AD.

F*cking win.

@The Franchise wasn’t this dude a weather expert a couple weeks ago?
Dude I was a consultant in the 90s when I was young and trying to climb the corporate ladder. I’ve been on the claims side of the insurance industry for the past 5 years. People are allowed to be and do more than one thing in life you know.
You should try it, I believe you can be anything you want to be, even if it’s a Chise groupie - I’m cool with it.

Fair enough. But just for the record, I never said the word Amazon in my post, that was someone else. There are lots of potential streamers who might buy conference rights, and we are at the beginning of a streaming content war, with Apple getting in to the business, Disney, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc. And OP has a semi-valid point in the media markets of AAC vs. ACC teams. What he doesn't factor in is alumni base size, brand recognition/value, those sorts of things. Just because Houston is a huge media market, that doesn't mean that everyone in Houston cares about UH, for example.

Where I would add something to the discussion, and while my final conclusion is that this is a pointless discussion as we're simply not leaving the ACC anytime "soon" (depending on what view you take of time), it's worth pointing out that many/most posters are viewing the original post as idiotic because they have a somewhat myopic view that CFB as it exists today will always be this way. That is simply not true. It wasn't that long ago that conference affiliation simply wasn't that important and then not that long after that major conferences such as the Big12 and ACC were at serious risk of becoming irrelevant as the landscape shifted and mega-conferences formed.

Just as the pendulum swung in one direction and today it seems that everything is about being in a mega-conference, or else you are irrelevant... Just as it seems today that the landscape of college football is super stable, you can always count on the black swan events to come down the pike.

What is, will not always be.

Miami did not become the team of the 80's by trying to be better at being Nebraska than Nebraska was. It took a vision and a visionary who saw the future and made it before anyone else did.

Miami will not reach greatness by trying to beat Baga and clem$on at their own game. We will have to find our edge in new territory.

Look, I do agree with you, we have to be open-minded as to what the future holds. Having said that, the OP did start the thread with the following two words: "IT'S TIME". And it clearly is NOT time for a change. Maybe there will be change in the future. But not now.

As for streaming, I think it is going to take a lot more time. Look at all of the posts on the ACC Network. There are absolutely streaming options for ACCN. But most people do not have the hardware, the bandwidth, or the knowledge for it at this time. And the manufacturers have not yet rolled out any homerun pieces of hardware (or apps). Some are good, but it is not uniform.

Remember this...for a while, people with tech skills had the ability to digitally record broadcast shows, but it took money, knowledge, and hardware to do so. Then TiVo came out with one simple box that could record shows to a hard drive. They had a virtual monopoly for a while, but eventually the cable companies latched onto it and they produced their own boring, charmless, featureless "DVR" boxes.

Also keep in mind that some of those streaming companies are part of broadcast conglomerates (Disney) or might be acquired by broadcast conglomerates. It's like Coca Cola also selling bottled water and sports drinks. As the delivery of content changes, it will be advantageous for traditional broadcast companies to acquire a streaming service so that they can be prepared for both ends of the technology-shift continuum.

The funny thing is, people who are complaining about "$200 cable bills" might end up paying for 10 different $20 streaming services. Content costs money (assuming you don't ask some of the CIS pirates how to steal it all).

My ultimate point on streaming is very simple. If Amazon or Netflix (and I picked Amazon because of Bezos) are going to get into live sports, they are not going to spend SO MUCH MONEY to vault the #6 conference into Power 5 territory. As I pointed out before, the ACCN is connected to ESPN, which is owned by Disney. If there was ever some sort of serious money-play in streaming services, Disney will figure out a way to pay and compete for content using Disney+.

But the original poster was yapping about playing more games in warm weather and having more "natural rivalries" with AAC teams, and that ****e is just crazy. I would be ashamed to present any of his "spreadsheets" to someone in power at UM when, within the first few lines, you can see that he has UConn still in the AAC.

Advertisement
Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

Thus I present several reasons as to why Miami should move to the AAC:

Miami is not a cultural fit for the ACC.
  • The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • They only tolerate Miami for access to a primary market.
Miami is also an outlier geographically.
  • The bulk of the ACC is located in or near the Carolinas.
The ACC does not want to be represented by a school like Miami.
  • Therefore we will always get treated unfairly
  • Whether it’s biased officiating or out right racism which is documentable.
The ACC does not promote Miami, the most recognized brand in college football.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
The locations of ACC are not in ideal marketing locations.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
  • Neither of these are favorable for Miami.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
  • The ACC is weaker now than its ever been on every level.
  • The national perception of the ACC is just as bad or worse than the ACC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?
  • The ACC didn’t provide any advantages in football or basketball.
The marketing value of cities in the ACC is far less than the AAC.

On the contrary:

The AAC misses Miami, the former Big East appreciated and celebrated Miami.
  • Miami instantly legitimizes the AAC as a Power conference.
  • UCF is consistently ranked and needs another high profile opponent.
Miami is a much better cultural fit in AAC.
  • The AAC has has much better metropolitan locations.
  • If you look at the states that produce the most NFL talent.
  • The AAC provides a much better recruiting advantage and marketing exposure.
  • Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • AAC have several primary markets in cities that are thriving and growing.
  • We have built in rivals in the AAC.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
We could add an up and coming Georgia State team and retain the ATL/GA market.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.
We need our own conference.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.
It’s always all about The U

View attachment 97063

Miami can't leave the ACC until at least 2028 because they (along with all the other ACC teams) granted their rights to the ACC. They would forfeit any tv money. The only conference without a grant of rights is the SEC, but because it makes so much money, no team is leaving the conference anyways.

Another wacky option besides leaving the ACC (and hundreds of millions on the table) to join the AAC would be to form a "Private Research University Conference":

Miami
Notre Dame
USC
Stanford
Vandy

Duke
Northwestern
Boston College
Syracuse
Tulane
Rice

Some of those schools aren't exactly football powerhouses, but nearly all the teams on the list are in or near a major metropolitan area.

I see where you’re coming from and I debate you point for point, but the numbers speak for themselves. Visionaries don’t just rely on the now, they use their imagination to create new realities in the future. If you look at this a a fan, you hate the might dislike the optics, sure... right now. But the AAC is playing the long game, whose in a better position when realignment demands super conferences and an 8 team playoff? The ACC seems better now but if 1 or 2 decent teams leave it becomes a has been.

Now your opinion of fan base loyalty I have to disagree with. For example, Texas has over 27 million people and every school has its own loyal fan base. UT is huge in Austin but in Dallas not so much. That’s the advantage of being in large markets for a team like Miami. Sure the Walmart approach works for SEC schools because they are mostly in rural areas.

Let me put like this, I’m talking about creating opportunities for the future. I worked on marketing campaign once that I later regretted. It was for a large tobacco company and they wanted to target ‘future’ smokers. Long story short, they went away from the shelf space concept and went for a ‘candy for a baby’ approach. It wasn’t my idea, but in the end they started putting flavored tobacco products right at the checkout just like the candy/snack companies do. It was a game changer.

5-10 years from now some people are going to say we shoulda, coulda, woulda when the telecom industry was transforming.
Most visionaries are thought to be crazy at first, then everybody wants a phuckin iPhone later.

My dude, you are nuts. The "numbers" do not, in fact, "speak for themselves". You have misread and misunderstood the numbers. And you have clearly deluded yourself on "visionary" status.

Here's the thing. If you were talking about selling a consumer good, you might have a point on "market sizes" and whatnot. But college football is not a packaged good. It involves emotional loyalties and continuing to "buy" your favorite team even when they are down.

You still haven't addressed one of my key points, which is how "physical proximity" to a major market delivers the major market population. It is indisputable that LSU is far more popular in New Orleans than Tulane is, so jumping into the AAC with Tulane is not going to give us some huge presence and/or dominance in New Orleans. Nobody in Philly really cares about Temple football; we've been in a conference with Temple before, and that didn't somehow transform Miami's name-awareness and market share in Philly. And for you to claim that the Texas freaking Longhorns are "not so much" a huge factor in Dallas - seriously, where did you pull that conclusion from, if not your ******?

I don't care about the "long game" when you ignore the "short game" and you wreck your program waiting around for your long-term investment to pay off. There are REAL and measurable losses with leaving the ACC and joining the AAC. If you thought that Miami was struggling to make the Top 4 back when we had 10 wins, and if you have ignored what has happened to perfect-record UCF, imagine what will happen to Miami when we are undefeated after beating up on Tulane and Temple as our CONFERENCE opponents.

And, again, if "streaming" is so hot for college football content, then Miami is not the dealbreaker on them making a play for the AAC. Streaming services could get that **** on the cheap RIGHT NOW. The AAC has very little revenue, compared to the Power 5. Miami jumping to the AAC would not suddenly crack open the checkbooks of all the streaming services.

Nobody is disputing that streaming will be a bigger and bigger deal in the future, but stop pretending that we need to jump to the AAC RIGHT ******* NOW when that is insane.

If somebody pays big bucks for the AAC simply because most of those schools are in larger cities (many of which don't really root hard for those schools), then I guarantee you that there will be even more money for the Power 5. Because THOSE SCHOOLS (collectively) have a nearly 100 year record of pumping out alums, and then those alums come to the games, those alums watch on TV, AND WITH THE MAGIC OF STREAMING, WHICH IS NOT LIMITED BY GEOGRAPHY, those alums will pay for, and watch, any **** streaming service that carries those schools. Even if many of those schools are in small college towns.

All of your "market size" analysis is garbage. It really is. Even in Orlando, where UCF is the SECOND-LARGEST UNIVERSITY in the entire US, you can still walk into any sporting goods store and find as much UF and F$U merch as UCF merch. You can go to any sports bar and find as many Gaytor and Semenhole fans as Knights fans. And that is the "best" team in the AAC with the largest alum base and one of the largest metro markets on your list.

Keep spinning your stuff to Fortune 500, you clearly don't understand how college football fanbases work. It doesn't matter which city you live in. What matters is who you grew up rooting for and/or what college you attended.

Advertisement
Back