IT’S TIME: Why Miami should leave the ACC and go to the AAC

Advertisement
This is even worse than those FSU and Clemson fans who wanted to join the Big 12 seven years ago.

Again all of these comments about ACCN. I swear its like these people are writing a 10 million dollar check each year to the University of Miami. If you are not then dont complain about the ACCN.

Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

Thus I present several reasons as to why Miami should move to the AAC:

Miami is not a cultural fit for the ACC.
  • The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • They only tolerate Miami for access to a primary market.
Miami is also an outlier geographically.
  • The bulk of the ACC is located in or near the Carolinas.
The ACC does not want to be represented by a school like Miami.
  • Therefore we will always get treated unfairly
  • Whether it’s biased officiating or out right racism which is documentable.
The ACC does not promote Miami, the most recognized brand in college football.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
The locations of ACC are not in ideal marketing locations.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
  • Neither of these are favorable for Miami.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
  • The ACC is weaker now than its ever been on every level.
  • The national perception of the ACC is just as bad or worse than the ACC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?
  • The ACC didn’t provide any advantages in football or basketball.
The marketing value of cities in the ACC is far less than the AAC.

On the contrary:

The AAC misses Miami, the former Big East appreciated and celebrated Miami.
  • Miami instantly legitimizes the AAC as a Power conference.
  • UCF is consistently ranked and needs another high profile opponent.
Miami is a much better cultural fit in AAC.
  • The AAC has has much better metropolitan locations.
  • If you look at the states that produce the most NFL talent.
  • The AAC provides a much better recruiting advantage and marketing exposure.
  • Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • AAC have several primary markets in cities that are thriving and growing.
  • We have built in rivals in the AAC.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
We could add an up and coming Georgia State team and retain the ATL/GA market.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.
We need our own conference.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.
It’s always all about The U

View attachment 97063
Put down the crack pipe.

I'm sorry but so many of your points are simply incorrect.

This is not an analysis piece, this is all just your opinion. Unfortunately, this is all opinion based on untruths.

Advertisement
No matter what conference we go to we will be hated.
But The optics of moving to a non p5 conference will appear as if we quit. It would appear as if we couldn’t hang with the big boys and that sht would have a huge recruiting impact that can not be understated.
The path to the playoffs is clear. It goes through Clemson.
The powers that be would have to leave out 2 P5 teams to put an AAC team in the playoffs.
That sht ain’t never happening.

Advertisement
Bottom lin eis this. Miami made it's rep by playing anybody, anytime, anywhere....we move to the AAC (a much weaker conference) we are backing off of that stance and will be called chickens for leaving for weaker opponents. The Big12? That would be our best bet, but it ain't gonna happen without FSU.

I wish we were still an independent TBH. We never should have joined the Big East.

We could have joined with ND, FSU, PSU, USCe and the other teams that joined the BEFC in the early 1990s to form a conference for everything except football.

Not a fan of the ACC but I've seen UCF have back to back undefeated seasons with no chance of getting a playoff invite. Simply because the AAC is a crappy conference. Moving Miami, who's been an 8 win program for 15 years, into that conference doesn't do much to legitimize it either.

I say we take some of our old Big East buddies (BC, VT, Pitt, Syracuse) grab FSU and Lousiville and a handful of the better AAC teams (UCF, Cincinatti, maybe USF and/or Memphis) and make our own football-centric conference that doesn't revolve 100% around tobacco road and basketball schools. None of these schools outside of Syracuse is a super serious basketball school. It's got a good balance of power. It's a majority east coast affiliation so no ridiculous traveling or playing to fans on the other side of the country who don't care. It gives some of the AAC programs who are desperate for a chance to compete at the highest levels some legitimacy too.

Total pipe dream, I know but it would be a cool conference.

Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

• The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?

On the contrary:

• Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.

View attachment 97063

UCF went undefeated and couldn't even sniff the playoffs. If Miami goes to the AAC, any chance of Miami being relevant again is over.

Advertisement

On the contrary:

View attachment 97063
Why do people throw out 'work for a Fortune 500 company' like that's an extra feather in your cap? Are they a Fortune 500 company because of all your brilliant ideas and hard work? No. Just means of you are a cog in a bigger machine and doesn't mean that in any way you are better than someone at the same job in a company of 10 people. General electric is a Fortune 500 company and they are a disaster. Soooooo. big whoop you worked for a Fortune 500 company.

I'm all about us leaving the ACC, but LMAO. The AAC? Really??

If we leave, it will be to go to the SEC or Big 10. We're not taking a paycut and moving to a weaker conference to be in a league with UCF and Houston. Come on.

This is even worse than those FSU and Clemson fans who wanted to join the Big 12 seven years ago.

If the ACC Network bombs.... which it might since no networks seem to want to pick it up.... then there is a very good chance that Clemson and FSU will leave.

Those two schools can make far more money in the SEC or Big 10.

Knowing the way Miami operates, if this ever happens we'll be caught with our pants down. We won't be prepared at all, we won't have any backup option, and we'll be stuck in a conference with nothing but the Carolina teams left.

Advertisement
If the ACC Network bombs.... which it might since no networks seem to want to pick it up.... then there is a very good chance that Clemson and FSU will leave.

Those two schools can make far more money in the SEC or Big 10.

Knowing the way Miami operates, if this ever happens we'll be caught with our pants down. We won't be prepared at all, we won't have any backup option, and we'll be stuck in a conference with nothing but the Carolina teams left.
Why is it assumed the acc network will bomb? The pac 12 network is Not picked up by all tv services yet they are still up and running

Why is it assumed the acc network will bomb? The pac 12 network is Not picked up by all tv services yet they are still up and running

From Sports Business Journal:

"Another potential trigger for (conference realignment) is the ACC Network, which is scheduled to launch in August in an environment rife with cord cutters and dwindling subscriber bases. ESPN fully owns the channel and was able to secure the right to launch it on Altice’s New York-area systems and nationally on at least one digital multichannel video provider.

If the channel is successful in signing more carriage deals, the conference’s makeup will remain the same. If not, some of the ACC’s stronger programs — Florida State, Clemson — could become targets for the SEC and Big Ten. Sources say success in terms of revenue falls somewhere between the thriving Big Ten Network and struggling Pac-12 Networks."

In my opinion, since networks don't seem to give a **** about picking up the ACC, there's no way it will hit these targets. Of course, I'm not Houdini and I can't foretell the future. But that's my sense.

The ACC is a goddam joke, and we clearly dont get a fair shake.

But could you imagine the bull**** we would deal with in the SEC or Big XII where the fans and boosters are significantly more racist and crooked?

How about we get some actually good coaches, start letting the kids skip class and do roids like every single top program does and then we wont have to rely on a good call from a moron ref to beat 2-9 UNC.

On the contrary:

View attachment 97063

Go away.

Advertisement
Back