IT’S TIME: Why Miami should leave the ACC and go to the AAC

UMinati

Sovereign
Banned
Firstly, let me say that I was a Managing Consultant for Fortune 500 companies in the past but I always took a different approach to considering whether a project was profitable or not. My time in the entertainment industry taught me that every successful project should tell an impactful story and I applied this knowledge to consulting. So I would always prepare a clear, concise, one-page treatment to any MC project just like a producer would; the difference being that I would present a spreadsheet instead of a synopsis of the script. No matter what, I would always let the numbers tell the story.

Thus I present several reasons as to why Miami should move to the AAC:

Miami is not a cultural fit for the ACC.
  • The ACC is primarily a wannabe Ivy League conglomerate that emphasizes basketball.
  • They only tolerate Miami for access to a primary market.
Miami is also an outlier geographically.
  • The bulk of the ACC is located in or near the Carolinas.
The ACC does not want to be represented by a school like Miami.
  • Therefore we will always get treated unfairly
  • Whether it’s biased officiating or out right racism which is documentable.
The ACC does not promote Miami, the most recognized brand in college football.
  • The ACCN is a clear example of of where the marketing priorities of the ACC lie, and it’s not UM.
The locations of ACC are not in ideal marketing locations.
  • The only rapidly growing areas outside of Miami are the research triangle and Tallahassee.
  • Both of these areas are negligible due to school loyalty and the meaningful population that impacts growth being transient students.
Miami is the largest metropolitan area and only primary market in the ACC but has no leverage.
  • The conference alignment is not set up correctly and the championship game is in Charlotte.
  • Neither of these are favorable for Miami.
The ACC only has 1 consistently ranked playoff team (Clemson) and is just as weak as the AAC.
  • The ACC is weaker now than its ever been on every level.
  • The national perception of the ACC is just as bad or worse than the ACC.
We have no built in rival in the ACC. Why are we traveling to Pitt or Duke on rivalry week?
  • The ACC didn’t provide any advantages in football or basketball.
The marketing value of cities in the ACC is far less than the AAC.

On the contrary:

The AAC misses Miami, the former Big East appreciated and celebrated Miami.
  • Miami instantly legitimizes the AAC as a Power conference.
  • UCF is consistently ranked and needs another high profile opponent.
Miami is a much better cultural fit in AAC.
  • The AAC has has much better metropolitan locations.
  • If you look at the states that produce the most NFL talent.
  • The AAC provides a much better recruiting advantage and marketing exposure.
  • Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, DMV, Philly, Ohio, Memphis, Ohio & Connecticut.
The AAC presents new marketing and greater opportunities for networks and sponsors.
  • Conference realignment could have UM playing in Florida or warm climates most of the season.
  • AAC locations would increase fan support due to ease of accessibility and desirable locations.
Because of weaker teams in the AAC, UM could schedule more high profile out of conference games.
  • AAC have several primary markets in cities that are thriving and growing.
  • We have built in rivals in the AAC.
  • We could possibly play FSU, UF, UCF, USF, FIU, FAU & FAMU In one season. True state champs.
We could add an up and coming Georgia State team and retain the ATL/GA market.
  • Adding Miami would make the AAC better than the ACC in football and closer in basketball.
We need our own conference.

It’s time - if you have UM connections, please submit this for real analysis. Thank you.
It’s always all about The U

C9D73BFF-32EF-4F21-9604-4FE686C39228.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Also the AAC could sign a landmark deal with Amazon to stream games. Network and cable TV are dead. Amazon wants to get into the football business and getting so many metropolitan teams would be huge for them. A long time ago CBS had the Big East exclusively and Miami was on TV nearly every Saturday across the country. It was a huge boost to recruiting. The ACC Network is pretty much only available to cable package subscribers. Amazon Prime would give Miami access to 100 million eyeballs across the world.

Interesting thoughts. Most would say no, **** no even to moving to the AAC, mainly due to its affiliations, and the fact that it is a G5 level conference. Would Miami moving to the AAC legitimize the league, or bring down the hard earned national brand of the Canes? Yes, if we were winning things would be entirely different I suppose but there is truth we get absolutely no love at all from Tobacco Road, while giving them a legit school to continually plug on their national media clips, even with us winning only 1 **** Coastal title in the past 15 years. So no, I can’t stand the ACC and them not even rotating the ACCG to a warmer weathered city especially in December. It was brutally cold in 2017 when I attended the game there. Plus, the stadium is an absolute crap fest - Hard Rock, shoot even TIAA Bank Field is MuCH better than that **** show.

All of this to say, I’m torn. I love the basketball piece to the ACC but football wise? They ***** us every chance they can. Would moving to the Big 12 be more advantageous?

Advertisement
That was 2 minutes of my life I will never get back. Let's go through that post, and point out where you completely missed the point.

1) The Big East NEVER truly liked Miami. It was a marriage of convenience, period. Schools like Syracuse, BC, Pitt desperately needed someone to play, and without Miami joining the BE and forming a football configuration, the most profitable basketball conference ever(at that point) was going to break up. There's a reason why Miami was forced to leave the Big East, and it was because the schools that didn't play FBS football wanted to keep splitting the money evenly, but Miami was making the majority of the money. Miami won 2 national championships in one academic year in two revenue sports and lost money. That was a scathing indictment of how awful the Big East structure was.

2) The AAC is an even worse logistical nightmare for Miami. You think traveling to BC and other east coast schools stink? Going to Texas, to Tulsa, to places like that does nothing for this fanbase, or for television programmers. The AAC is an unwatchable television product, because outside of UCF, the rest of the conference is mediocre AT BEST when put up against programs worth a ****.

I could go on and on about how Miami would be even more behind the eight ball in recruiting by moving to an inferior conference, and how our basketball and baseball programs would be utterly destroyed, but that's obvious. People, unless something happens and Miami can leave the ACC with FSU, GT, VTech and Clemson, poach some Big XII schools and form a conference, this is home. Miami is stuck in a conference where they won't get a truly fair shake. That said, a decently managed Miami football program should be able to beat Tobacco Road, even with the refs being blind and deaf. Last Saturday shouldn't have come down to a hold. Miami should have taken care of business, full stop.

The ACC would like nothing more than for Miami (and FSU) to resume their place as a perennial NC contender. They dreamed of Miami-FSU conference championship games. This was one reason the schools were put in opposite divisions.

Unfortunately, both superstar-rival programs tanked.

The ACC is fortunate Clemson has become a dominant program on the national scene. The ACCN should pimp the **** out of Clemson. You want Miami pumped up more? F*cking win.

Playing FSU on rivalry weekend at the end of the season would be great but FSU is locked into UF. The consolidation is the schools always play. I’d like see the game played on the same weekend in the middle of every season. Same as OU-Texas and a few others.

Dropping out of a Power 5 conference to build up a G5 conference is a loser move.

F*cking win.

Last edited:
Simply, I don’t buy many of your arguments. The only marketing that the U needs is WINS. And being a P5 school in itself has benefits... the ACCC means a lot more than the AACC to a viewing public. The U brand brand doesn’t need marketing, it already has a following... we just need to kick ***.

Advertisement
The ACC would like nothing more than for Miami (and FSU) to resume their place as a perennial NC contender. They dreamed of Miami-FSU conference championship games. This was one reason the schools were put in opposite divisions.

Unfortunately, both superstar-rival programs tanked.

The ACC is fortunate Clemson has become a dominant program on the national scene. The ACCN should pimp the **** out of Clemson. You want Miami pumped up more? F*cking win.

Playing FSU on rivalry weekend at the end of the season would be great but FSU is locked into UF. The consolidation is the schools always play. I’d like see the game played on the same weekend in the middle of every season. Same as OU-Texas and a few others.

Dropping out of a Power 5 conference to build up a G5 conference is a loser move.

F*cking win.

It also wouldn't work like he thinks it will. All that would happen is year after year we would get worse and worse recruits until we had USF level of talent and then we would just be another AAC team. Its not like the committee is just going to say "hey, Miami is in the AAC now, if they win the AACCG we should let them into the playoffs". Instead kids would say "why the **** would I go to Miami when I could go to a school that actually has a shot of playing in the playoffs". Its not like 5 star kids go to Harvard even though they have all those NCs.

Advertisement
That was 2 minutes of my life I will never get back. Let's go through that post, and point out where you completely missed the point.

1) The Big East NEVER truly liked Miami. It was a marriage of convenience, period. Schools like Syracuse, BC, Pitt desperately needed someone to play, and without Miami joining the BE and forming a football configuration, the most profitable basketball conference ever(at that point) was going to break up. There's a reason why Miami was forced to leave the Big East, and it was because the schools that didn't play FBS football wanted to keep splitting the money evenly, but Miami was making the majority of the money. Miami won 2 national championships in one academic year in two revenue sports and lost money. That was a scathing indictment of how awful the Big East structure was.

2) The AAC is an even worse logistical nightmare for Miami. You think traveling to BC and other east coast schools stink? Going to Texas, to Tulsa, to places like that does nothing for this fanbase, or for television programmers. The AAC is an unwatchable television product, because outside of UCF, the rest of the conference is mediocre AT BEST when put up against programs worth a ****.

I could go on and on about how Miami would be even more behind the eight ball in recruiting by moving to an inferior conference, and how our basketball and baseball programs would be utterly destroyed, but that's obvious. People, unless something happens and Miami can leave the ACC with FSU, GT, VTech and Clemson, poach some Big XII schools and form a conference, this is home. Miami is stuck in a conference where they won't get a truly fair shake. That said, a decently managed Miami football program should be able to beat Tobacco Road, even with the refs being blind and deaf. Last Saturday shouldn't have come down to a hold. Miami should have taken care of business, full stop.
You make some valid points unlike most but you can’t think it’s logistically worse.
Look at the cities in each conference. Is it easier to get to...

ACC: Chestnut Hill, Clemson, Tallahassee, Louisville, Raleigh, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Winston-Salem, Durham, Atlanta, Chapel Hill, Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, Blacksburg
than it is
AAC: Orlando, Cincinnati, Storrs (Hartford ), Greenville, Houston, Memphis, Tampa, Dallas, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Tulsa, Annapolis (Baltimore)?

Which cities would you rather go to?

Let’s not forget that this would most likely lead to 16 team conferences and an 8 team playoff where the AAC would get an automatic bid. I think the AAC would be much more desirable of having UM than the Big East was.

Advertisement
Also the AAC could sign a landmark deal with Amazon to stream games. Network and cable TV are dead. Amazon wants to get into the football business and getting so many metropolitan teams would be huge for them. A long time ago CBS had the Big East exclusively and Miami was on TV nearly every Saturday across the country. It was a huge boost to recruiting. The ACC Network is pretty much only available to cable package subscribers. Amazon Prime would give Miami access to 100 million eyeballs across the world.
Most don’t possess your vision but this is exactly the type of leverage that can be capitalized on in these changing times.

I dislike the ACC and always have, but a move to the AAC deprives us of any chance at the playoffs because we not in a P5 conference (although with the coaches this school hires, we are probably in no danger of making the playoffs or big bowl games anyway).
So where’s the risk? If the move doesn’t work, make the threat and get paid from the ACC.

Advertisement
Back