It’s over

Alright I'll come out of exile to address this subject.

1st of all blaming the media for this situation is the most ignorant and absurd take you could possibly come up with. CFB media is gonna be a ghost town with the layoffs coming their way besides recruiting writers and the most tenured names like Feldman. Imagine a group of people sacrificing their careers just to get a "gotcha" moment on the internet - seems legit right guysm?

If you wanna place blame look no further than college administrators and conference presidents. They sat on their asses for 5 months hoping and praying the virus would just disappear or the corrupt NCAA would deliver some guidance. The absence of leadership is appalling. It doesn't help that the US politicized the virus and masks, meanwhile here in Ontario (population ~15 million) we had 70 positive cases today and active cases are below 1000.

You reap what you sow. The ACC could have planned various contingencies and protocols to protect the health and safety of players. Transmission dynamics of the virus are well-established by the medical community at this point and the NBA and NFL have taken different approaches to satisfy the concerns of players and their families - who almost uniformly want to play.

So why didn't the NCAA, or its conferences, just copy or modify the precedents set by pro sports? The answer is in the question. Ultimately they are willing to punt on a season and cost themselves and their stakeholders - players, families, media, team staffers, local hospitality businesses and their staffs, TV rights holders, etc. - devastating losses just to protect their 'amateurism' house of cards. They see the writing on the wall with players organizing and they know their facade of amateurism and education is on the brink of upheaval. If players are expected to "risk their health and safety" playing a game for which they're effectively unpaid labor it opens up Pandora's box for players to unionize and get paid. So they're willing to kick the can down the road and sacrifice what would be a tumultuous season filled with bad optics and likely a substandard product littered with issues just to protect their golden goose post-COVID.

Don't be naive and side with these school "leaders" who use the health excuse to protect their charade and sic you against the players and media. The NCAA and its conferences have always been transparent with this **** and it's never been more clear. The ship has sailed on mitigating the virus - you all failed - but the least you can do now is join the crowd condemning this situation and exposing the reality that's staring us all in the face.

Thank you and I will return to lurk mode where I belong in this cesspool of idiots.

Advertisement
I’m no expert on the MAC, but I suspect their decision had a lot to do with economics. They relied heavily on non-conference games and gates given their weak TV deals.
This. They needed one of two things for them to play. Fans in seats for $ or $ from P5 to travel to take an a55 kicking

There was no smoke of cancellation until the Pac-12 & B1G had several hundred players last week starting to organize & make demands, the school presidents & conference commissioners saw that & the lawyers started loosening their ties...
Thats not true. The SEC commissioner said weeks ago that there was a very real possibility this season didn’t happen. And that’s the SEC.

Advertisement
When colleges start dropping football and sports writers start getting laid off, maybe they'll realize the stupidity of playing up a disease. instead of reporting the actual facts.

There was no smoke of cancellation until the Pac-12 & B1G had several hundred players last week starting to organize & make demands, the school presidents & conference commissioners saw that & the lawyers started loosening their ties...
Thats not true. The SEC commissioner said weeks ago that there was a very real possibility this season didn’t happen. And that’s the SEC.

Advertisement
Yep and the Ohio State AD has been talking about this since April. Always talking about percentage of fans they’re trying to get in the stadium.

this is 100 percent to have a better chance at fans in the stands and more revenue.

if players are going to unionize they aren’t going to back down because there’s no fall football. If anything it gives them more time to focus on unionizing instead of spending every waking hour on football and school.

That is the silver lining in all of this, maybe now the players will get some basic decencies like health insurance and the right to profit from their image and likeness.

It's all part of the plan. Continue to make us as miserable as possible while shoving a phony hysteria down our throats in order to gain politically.

It is beyond disgusting what our government as a whole has come to, and the media that stokes the flames.
Yeah this is a hoax, just a plot to deprive Trump of reelection.

Advertisement
LMAO Another brain dead member of the Trump cult I guarantee you that won't happen. I also bet you are one of those people who were resistant to wearing ,asks inside stores and when you couldnt social distance
I bet i made your yearly salary in the last 60-90 days. Who said I was voting for Trump? But speaking of brain dead, his opponent has Dementia.
Libs think they are so smart but every city and state they run turns to crap. Let me guess, you voted twice for a stuttering community organizer who showed up out of no where and the media told you he was a combination of MLK and Lincoln. i aint wasting my time any further. I did wear masks so i didnt smell the **** on the breathe of guys like you when you talked to me.

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin
Wasn’t Ben writing about loyalists to the English arguing against a revolution? Whatever we are talking about now it Doesn’t compare to starting A War.

Advertisement
I bet i made your yearly salary in the last 60-90 days. Who said I was voting for Trump? But speaking of brain dead, his opponent has Dementia.
Libs think they are so smart but every city and state they run turns to crap. Let me guess, you voted twice for a stuttering community organizer who showed up out of no where and the media told you he was a combination of MLK and Lincoln. i aint wasting my time any further. I did wear masks so i didnt smell the **** on the breathe of guys like you when you talked to me.
I would assume you are voting for Trump after this reply.
bragging about how much money you make? Very sophomoric.

I hope you’re right. I can be doom and gloom at times. I guess my overall point is that this will have far reaching implications. I love college sports (not just football) and I have seen it take a lot of people out of bad situations. It’s one of the greatest institutions in this country, warts and all. I hope it survives
Right there with ya and I don't think any can be blamed for being doom and gloom at this point.

I don't know if this was posted anywhere else or even what was going on here but it did give me some optimism or at least a chuckle:

Advertisement
Back