It’s over

Advertisement
Advertisement
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned once, in this thread or the dozens of others over the past few weeks/months, is that maybe, just maybe, some of these university presidents DO have the best interests of the students, health-wise, in mind.

If that’s the case, the schools will keep spending money to regularly test and contact trace the student-athletes.

They won’t, of course. Because they don’t really care.

The players will be less safe because of these cowardly decisions. The schools just want to maintain the status quo of amateurism.

The B1G commissioner Kevin Warren is pushing heavy towards cancellation of the season & they're trying to get the rest of the P5's to join in with them. The SEC is not on board as of yet.

IMO this all because a few high profile players in the B1G opted-out so the B1G Presidents got shook thinking all their top players were going to leave early & hit the panic button to can the season, they spread it to the media in hopes that it would gain momentum with the rest of the P5 commissioners.

Covid is not the issue IMO, it's the cover being used for the issue, but it's no coincidence that just a few days after the Supreme Court ruled against the NCAA in court regarding the NIL rules that all of the sudden the powers that be wants to axe the season. The whole thing is bogus AF to me, they simply don't want the can of worms opened up by having to open the books & start sharing some of that revenue with the players until Congress puts in provisions to safeguard schools & the NCAA from having to break bread with the players if they unionize & start asking for a percentage of the pot of Gold.

If that’s the case, the schools will keep spending money to regularly test and contact trace the student-athletes.

The players will be less safe because of these cowardly decisions. The schools just want to maintain the status quo of amateurism.
This is close to the truth. If they wanted to go forward, then all non-athletes would be forced to do their education remotely and athletes would effectively be in a bubble. The problem is that shows that this is about money and then the idea that you pay players comes into play. The NCAA doesn't want to admit what we all know. It's about money and the players who don't get any.

Advertisement

I don’t disagree. You’ve seen all my posts about paying the players.

But the virus itself is still an issue. Oklahoma just shut down practice for a week after a positive test, after having weeks of negative tests. How can you have a season like that? It’s why the nba went bubble.

This is beyond stupid. What did they think was going to happen in the last three weeks ? Cases were always going to get worse nationwide and there would be cases in college athletes, it was just a matter of how many were acceptable. Also, this liability excuse is stupid. NO ONE knows the long term affects of Covid, so how can the NCAA or anyone be held liable for future Issues? This isn’t the nfl knowing about concussion Affects and not Telling players. If they sign a waiver, test, isolate, etc, I dont see how a school can be Held legally liable for a player getting a virus that is circling the globe. This is about optics and the outcry that would be heard if players started getting it, and I think they assume a larger movement to pay players

I will also say that the entire country is way past the point of contact tracing. And good luck with college kids, especially.

Advertisement

maybe we are both correct

Advertisement
This is beyond stupid. What did they think was going to happen in the last three weeks ? Cases were always going to get worse nationwide and there would be cases in college athletes, it was just a matter of how many were acceptable. Also, this liability excuse is stupid. NO ONE knows the long term affects of Covid, so how can the NCAA or anyone be held liable for future Issues? This isn’t the nfl knowing about concussion Affects and not Telling players. If they sign a waiver, test, isolate, etc, I dont see how a school can be Held legally liable for a player getting a virus that is circling the globe. This is about optics and the outcry that would be heard if players started getting it, and I think they assume a larger movement to pay players

heitner on twitter has talked about the waiver issues -- it isnt simple.

the liability excuse isnt stupid. its a very real thing that could destroy a university if it goes south for even one player

Advertisement
Back