Ishmael Aristide new LB coach?

The issue with this hire (for me) is that he isn't going to help change the way we actually play defense. T-Will was respected and was going to have the pedigree to provide new and fresh ideas while recruiting at a very high level.

This kid is not and the scheme is going to look exactly like it has the last couple of years with Patke taking on a bigger role. He's a Manny yes man.
The idea a guy we hired to coach outside LBs was going to change manny’s scheme is the flawed premise. People are looking for hope in tje wrong places. Aristide isn’t any less likely than Williams to change the LB assignments. Maybe Williams would have taught them better.

Go reread the threads on mnny as DC. He bet his career he cam get it right. It’s his neck on the line. He’s not going to be deferring to new guys or kids.

Advertisement
The idea a guy we hired to coach outside LBs was going to change manny’s scheme is the flawed premise. People are looking for hope in tje wrong places. Aristide isn’t any less likely than Williams to change the LB assignments. Maybe Williams would have taught them better.
Maybe? there is no debate Williams brings more to the LB room than a guy who played DB at purdue and He's 100% going to know what the LB's need to do differently/change assignments. Ridiculous post. The one MLB at auburn had more tackles than all our LB's combined last year.

He's now a DC at UCF. We plucked an analyst from TAMU to replace him. He was definitely not going to sit on his hands and watch us struggle, he would have had the confidence to tell Manny what's up when things went wrong. Manny's LB expertise is what we can expect for this LB room next year, its the same **** that failed us last year.

Maybe? there is no debate Williams brings more to the LB room than a guy who played DB at purdue and He's 100% going to know what the LB's need to do differently/change assignments. Ridiculous post. The one MLB at auburn had more tackles than all our LB's combined last year.

He's now a DC at UCF. We plucked an analyst from TAMU to replace him. He was definitely not going to sit on his hands and watch us struggle, he would have had the confidence to tell Manny what's up when things went wrong. Manny's LB expertise is what we can expect for this LB room next year, its the same **** that failed us last year.

Is it also possible that the MLB in question was just that much better what we had? If that's the case recruiting talent at that position is also what has failed us and not so much technique. At least that is what Manny seems to think.

Granted TWill seemed to be the complete package of coach + recruiter. But he's gone now and guys like him are difficult to replace. If getting an arguably elite recruiter and notable up and comer to replace him is your best available option then it seems a reasonable choice to make. Exceptional talent does make up some for flaws in coaching whatever that may be.

1614008211413.png

Advertisement

You don't seem to grasp the situation or the point.

The difference between UM last year and Auburn at LB wasn't T Will particularly. It was head coach and defensive coordinator, mostly. If you think T Will was going to bring Auburn's LB play to UM then you must also think he was going to bring Auburn's defensive scheme and play calling to UM. There is zero point zero reason to believe that. Manny has made clear he is the DC this year and he's going to run his scheme. Hopefully it works. But to my point, while there is some room for LB coaching, it's within Manny's scheme, not changing assignments. The LB assignments in Manny's scheme are largely dictated by his rush approach and coverages, in any case.

Secondly, T Will wasn't recruited here to be some co-DC. That's why he isn't here any more. He wasn't even recruited here to be full LB coach. He came here to be outside LB coach and left a hot minute after he got here when a better job opened up for him. The big off-season additions to the defense we made were T Rob and Simpson, and people seem to have magically forgotten already. T Rob go the bigger title and much bigger salary compared to Williams. Simpson too, who is AHC. If anyone is going to change Manny's thinking on the D, it's those guys. The idea that Williams was going to be the scheme differentiator in that group strikes me as naive to false on the facts.

I do think Williams is a better LB coach than Aristide. But he's gone, and Patke had half the room anyhow, and the guys we're going to be playing with mostly have been here long enough to learn the scheme. So I don't think there's that much difference there. Unless you get rid of Patke and get a true LB coach, this isn't that big a position coach opportunity.

TBH, Wililams was going to be leaving next year if not this year, just on the merits of the job he got. Unless you think he was going to get promoted over T Rob or Simpson, which I sure don't believe. So whatever. He's gone, we got someone else for the spot, better local connections, good recruiter, let's see what he can do.

Partially True. Talent overcomes a lot of bad coaching. But I watched 4 Northwestern games last season, and those linebackers were 10x better than our guys, despite being athletically limited. That was all coaching and scheme. Ohio State beat them with offensive talent, but no one else did.

I always knew Jennings was a low ceiling guy and feel the same with Flagg. I liked Steed a lot coming out. His pops posted all the time and he showed a ton of promise. But he's been injured, so unfortunately may end up like Darion Owens / Raphael Kirby and never fully recover. Fingers crossed there.

But the others -- Brooks, Huff, Cave, are athletically gifted enough to play at Miami. So it's up to the coaches to get them ready. They have enough talent, IMHO, DWins.

I also like the two true freshmen, Johnson and Troutman. But I've never been a fan of starting TFs at LB, especially in our defense which demands so much of that position. If I were the coaches, I'd focus my energies on Brooks, Huff and Cave, and hope the transfer caps are increased to take in another portal kid. Really wish we had landed Lewis, smh.

Advertisement
The best performing unit on our DEF in 2020 is now coaching the worse performing unit on our DEF. I think CMD knows what he's doing. He's earned the benefit of the doubt at this point point after the changes he'd been willing to make.
Winning games gets you the benefit of doubt, not replacing ****** hires.

Advertisement
We are going to see dramatically better LB play next season.

The young kids got virtually no meaningful practice time in 2020.

Partially True. Talent overcomes a lot of bad coaching. But I watched 4 Northwestern games last season, and those linebackers were 10x better than our guys, despite being athletically limited. That was all coaching and scheme. Ohio State beat them with offensive talent, but no one else did.

I always knew Jennings was a low ceiling guy and feel the same with Flagg. I liked Steed a lot coming out. His pops posted all the time and he showed a ton of promise. But he's been injured, so unfortunately may end up like Darion Owens / Raphael Kirby and never fully recover. Fingers crossed there.

But the others -- Brooks, Huff, Cave, are athletically gifted enough to play at Miami. So it's up to the coaches to get them ready. They have enough talent, IMHO, DWins.

I also like the two true freshmen, Johnson and Troutman. But I've never been a fan of starting TFs at LB, especially in our defense which demands so much of that position. If I were the coaches, I'd focus my energies on Brooks, Huff and Cave, and hope the transfer caps are increased to take in another portal kid. Really wish we had landed Lewis, smh.
The linebacker evals most importantly have been bad for a good while. Dare I even say Randy was our last best LB eval guy unless I'm mistaken. Give me guys the SEC wants not last minute or fall back options.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back