Isaiah Bond - enters portal, enrolls at Texas, flexes a Lamborghini (lol)

Advertisement
It's a highlight reel so I don't make many judgments based off of those, but something that stood out in these clips is that he is not a natural catcher of the football. He cradles it a lot. Really leans over and catches it in his body as he running deep. Didn't matter in high school because he was several yards open, but that is one of the big issues that Mark Pope has had in college.

Really wish he was a natural receiver of the ball and caught it in stride without losing speed/acceleration. I'll want to watch a full game of his, but he has a lot of Rambo look to his game here.
If he had those skills you speak of he probably wouldn’t be a low 3 star and would be more highly recruited. It seems odd, but improving that smoothness in catching the ball isn’t usually easy.

I kind of equate it to a QB with accuracy issues. People fall in love with QBs with a great toolbox but lose track of the most important trait—can he accurately throw the football under duress and with live bullets flying.

Anyone taking this kid over Mike Jackson? Same type WR right? Mike Jackson is listed at 5'10 but couldn't find any combine measurements. This kid measured in at 5'9 a little over a year ago. This kid might show a little more range with his routes and receiving ability (at least on the HL tape) but Jackson is the fastest and most explosive kid that I have seen in quite some time.

Last edited:
If he had those skills you speak of he probably wouldn’t be a low 3 star and would be more highly recruited. It seems odd, but improving that smoothness in catching the ball isn’t usually easy.

I kind of equate it to a QB with accuracy issues. People fall in love with QBs with a great toolbox but lose track of the most important trait—can he accurately throw the football under duress and with live bullets flying.
Oh I know. Natural ball skills are innate. I became a CB for the very reason you hear on the old adage about hands and WR (and later S due to hips). Among my friends I had awesome hands. Among DI college players I wasn’t near consistent enough.

Readers of the comments have to remember that’s a comparison to other P5 WR’s, not you or me. He’s probably got awesome ball skills compared to Henry the plumber.

It's a highlight reel so I don't make many judgments based off of those, but something that stood out in these clips is that he is not a natural catcher of the football. He cradles it a lot. Really leans over and catches it in his body as he running deep. Didn't matter in high school because he was several yards open, but that is one of the big issues that Mark Pope has had in college.

Really wish he was a natural receiver of the ball and caught it in stride without losing speed/acceleration. I'll want to watch a full game of his, but he has a lot of Rambo look to his game here.

So I don’t make any judgments of highlight reels either, and on top of that I’m no recruiting expert, but I saw a few tough catches. Here are a couple of them.

C858DE46-55F6-464C-BA28-1FD1D30E3BF5.jpeg

This one is a little bit hard to make out on this still, but he’s going up and catching a high ball with his hands, no cradling basket catch here.

3753E16E-42F1-437B-A5EC-5573D575D923.jpeg

0B5093C9-8499-42A9-BDD6-50546A82FFF6.jpeg

45CD904E-F828-4F41-8B2F-BFC42ED4B1EA.jpeg

In this series of three pictures, he tracks the ball while jumping in the air, looks the ball in his hands, makes a tough catch in his hands through a defender, stays in bounds

Again, I don’t know what kind of a prospect this guy is, and I get a sense we’re taking a flyer on a Georgia guy just to get in early in the process, with very little repercussion if we cool off on him, just like Saban does with his South Florida prospects. This is something we can’t afford to do in South Florida. We have to be serious when we offer somebody down here.

Advertisement
No, take Jackson instead.

I'm not really all that impressed with those highlights. He's strictly a go route receiver and that separation isn't going to be there in college. He doesn't look as fast as that 10.7 time either, but that was film from a year ago.

Very little with him catching underneath. He certainly doesn't make many miss.

It's early, so whatever.

He looks more natural than Mike Jackson to me. On the other hand, Bond might be tougher to keep if the SEC schools come calling. Both guys fly.

In addition to the spectacular stuff (such as the diving catches at 1:00 and 1:15), Bond shows some nice quickness and adjustments to the ball at 3:40-4:00.

Normally I wouldn’t pay too much attention to ratings this time of year. Plenty of kids are still getting reviewed and offers are still going out.

This one is interesting because Buford isn’t an under the radar program. Simpson is an obvious connection but T Rob is the CB guy. We’re hearing about Manny not calling Little, wondering if we’d take his commitment right now ... now this kid commits.

I have no view on this kid, haven’t looked at any film, just find it all interesting. Recruiting is a puzzle. This stuff makes it fun. Hope they know what they’re doing.
Fail.

WR take as of now....

Advertisement
Small but flies off the line and shows receiver skills.

He looks more natural than Mike Jackson to me. On the other hand, Bond might be tougher to keep if the SEC schools come calling. Both guys fly.

In addition to the spectacular stuff (such as the diving catches at 1:00 and 1:15), Bond shows some nice quickness and adjustments to the ball at 3:40-4:00.

I agree

Can he catch the ball when it's close to him?? Or for that matter when it hits his hands??? That's really all that matters - CATCH THE BALL!!!...
Ok I'm kidding there's more to it than that but ..... Ehhh... Noooo.... Catching the ball is most important... :ROFLMAO:
please really he’s fast and can catch , with pads on that’s the catch RIGHT

Advertisement
He made some tough catches in those highlights. Now I’m not a recruiting expert, and I don’t think you can judge anybody by simply a few minutes of highlights, but they weren’t all simply highlights where he blew past people and basket caught the ball, there were some contested catches and difficult catches.

So anybody that is saying that they were all just blow-by cradling catches doesn’t know what they’re talking about
Yep several plays of him working back to the ball on underthrown passes and earning position with a defender on his back downfield but he's not a "natural receiver" lmao. I see NFL WRs like Chase Claypool who don't do that stuff.

The same type of **** was said about STA Dorsett by self-anointed evaluators. He never made plays like this kid made in that highlight tape and he went 1st round.

Advertisement
Anyone taking this kid over Mike Jackson? Same type WR right? Mike Jackson is listed at 5'10 but couldn't find any combine measurements. This kid measured in at 5'9 a little over a year ago. This kid might show a little more range with his routes and receiving ability (at least on the HL tape) but Jackson is the fastest and most explosive kid that I have seen in quite some time.

What's interesting is he was listed at 5'9 not too long ago, but in the picture with his rb (whose also listed at 5'9) - he is at least three inches taller. Maybe a 2-3 inch growth spurt since that last measurement

So Victor Venn is 5’2?
Thought the same thing when I saw that pic. This kid has to be taller than 5’9 by now. He does look significantly bigger than Mike Jackson does in their two most recent photos.

Bond, Mike Jackson, Devaughn Mortimer.

Take one of those guys as your speed slot guy and im good. Out of that group I like Mortimer the most. Im coming around to Bond though with his recent track times. All 3 in a race would be smooth as **** lol

*Bond jr film reminds alot of Mike Harley. He looks to be a bit taller though at this point and a better frame.

Advertisement
Back